walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Larches and King's Seat

The Larches and King's Seat

Postby allansmitchell » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:40 pm

Date walked: 03/07/2009

Time taken: 2 hours

Distance: 4 km

Ascent: 142m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A fairly easy walk mainly through forest, returning on the banks of the Tay. We decided to stop off at Dunkeld on our way up north to stretch our legs and choose this short walk. You start at the Dunkeld car park on the out skirts of Dunkeld. Following the road to the hotel you walk past Dunkeld cathedral, there is a way marker on the right that leads you off into the forest (If you pass the man fishing in his boat on the grass youve missed the path). The path then leads off into the forest, to be honest we got lost, we walked right past the route marker saying go right and continued into the off road tracks, however we didnt relise until our return as we had soon re-joined the correct path, which takes you in a circuit returning you to the hotel, where you cross the road and stroll along the banks of the Tay and bringing you back to the cathedral.
After passing the kings seat, there is a small deadend path to the left which takes you to a well
A nice we break from driving, and the cathedral grounds was great for a spot of lunch before continuing our journey north
Last edited by allansmitchell on Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
allansmitchell
Mountaineer

Munros:4   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:7   

Re: The Larches and King's Seat

Postby mountain coward » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:18 am

Looks a nice walk and well... I go via Dunkeld to the A9 after cutting through Crieff each time I head up that way as I can't stand trying to get around Perth! Must break off and try it sometime... broke off last time and visited 'Rumbling Bridge' - quite a scary place! Glad I didn't drive over it...
Under Rumbling Bridge.jpg
mountain coward

Postby allansmitchell » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:36 am

Where is the Rumbling Bridge?
allansmitchell
Mountaineer

Postby mountain coward » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:06 am

Not far from Dunkeld on that backroad leading back to Crieff (going south turn right at Dunkeld off the A9). Must be less than 5 miles along that road - you should be able to see it on the map just to the north of that road on an even smaller backroad. If you want the names of the nearest villages, I'll get my map...
mountain coward

Postby Freewheelin » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:33 am

There's another Rumbling Bridge a couple of miles East of Dollar - also got a nice wee riverside walk

DSCF0134.JPG

Wish I had a better pic of the bridge for you - it's actually one bridge built on top of another. The original bridge looks pretty old and the newer one's at least 100 years old.
One of the footbridges on the riverside walk has a plaque to a pet dog that died after it fell into the gorge.
Freewheelin

Munros:184   Corbetts:32
Fionas:7   Donalds:21

Postby mountain coward » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:39 am

That's the pic I'd have liked to have taken rather than the one I put in above... where on earth were you stood? On a rope bridge slung across the gorge?? :o I explored the whole area, getting very muddy in my canvas driving shoes, but couldn't get into a situation which would get me the shot I wanted - which is the shot you got! Didn't see the plaque - very sad :(
mountain coward

Postby Freewheelin » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:57 am

That's the other Rumbling Bridge - the one near Dollar :lol:
Freewheelin

Munros:184   Corbetts:32
Fionas:7   Donalds:21

Postby mountain coward » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:00 am

Well if you compare the photos, they look exactly the same! Does it move areas when it gets bored? Does it jump under unsuspecting motorists? :D
mountain coward

Postby allansmitchell » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:11 pm

I think I recal seeing something on TV about dogs that died jumping over bridges, that picture stirs a memory. Always dreaded my two would do something stupid like that so had to carry thier leads just in case they were too playful in areas like this
allansmitchell
Mountaineer

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland