walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Fhada

Beinn Fhada

Postby archierob » Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:54 pm

Route description: Beinn Fhada, from Morvich

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Fhada

Date walked: 08/10/2009

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 15 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Solo climb from Morvich. Staight up to Beinn Bhuide then a brilliant, exciting walk and scramble along the Meall an Fhuarain Ridge in bright sunshine. Met a couple who had turned back due to slabs being wet, but I found a way underneath them. Snow and snow shower on the wide summit of Beinn Fhada. Descended via the N. face of Meall a' Bhealaich to the loch. This is very difficult and I would not recommend this Take the path on the S. side into Coire an Sgairne instead.
Climbing Holiday & Skye October 2009 037.JPG
Climbing Holiday & Skye October 2009 042.JPG
Meall an Fhuarain Mhoir Ridge seen from Meall a'Bhealaich
archierob
Rambler

Re: Beinn Fhada

Postby mountain coward » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:57 am

We descended before you reached the peak at the end of that ridge but north towards the loch - very straightforward if you go from around the low point of the ridge. You have to be careful to the south that you take the actual path - we ascended that side following a watercourse up through falls (always a no-no and I should have known better). We ended up in very dire straits indeed above a waterfall on extremely steep and peeling-away turf and had to keep going up that way as we couldn't get back down - definitely not to be recommended!
mountain coward

Postby benno » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:16 am

Yes the stalkers path in Coire an Sgairne is great - I did Fhada from A' Ghlas Bheinn so had plenty of time whilst descending to the bealach to study the face of Meall a Bhealaich - didn't fancy it so took the stalkers path instead. Incidently: so that's what the summit looks like! I had my first solo white out on the top of there...a harrowing although exilerating experience!
benno

Munros:282   Corbetts:35
Fionas:16   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:31   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:9   

Postby mountain coward » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:44 am

For some reason, I was going from memory from what I'd read in the Munro book, and thought I'd read that the stalkers' path didn't go further than into the corrie and didn't go up onto the ridge - which is why we took our stupid, unorthodox and dangerous route! :(
mountain coward

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland