walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Ghlas, Ben Lawers and An Stuc

Beinn Ghlas, Ben Lawers and An Stuc

Postby U059361 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:19 pm

Munros included on this walk: An Stùc, Beinn Ghlas, Ben Lawers

Date walked: 25/06/2012

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 1183m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Participants: Joe
Weather: Sunny periods, clouding over, little wind.
Route: Out along track to Ben Lawers, back on hillside sheep tracks to bealach path back to start.
Wildlife: Ptarmigan
Special Interest: Nature reserve.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Usual path up through fenced nature trail up Beinn Ghlas and on to Ben Lawers. Had my lunch with some great views. Still plenty of time so decided to add An Stuc so took the well worn path down to bealach. Nice wee drop down at Creag an Fhithich then steeply down to bealach. Climb up to top and great views all round. Had a look over to Meall Garbh but didn't fancy the drop on my own. So after an apple, water and a plaster on my foot headed back down to bealach. I cut north before the bottom to avoid a wet bit and walked round below the Creag following a sheep track and over the first burn. The slope gets steeper and my sheep track dropped down to one below at next burn. I then followed it all the way back to the path going over the bealach back down to the car park. Easy walking from here. five and half hours all told, so the return route certainly saved a lot of climbing and time.
Attachments
P6251780.JPG
The route from carpark in distance, through nature reserve in trees up the slope to Beinn Ghlas
P6251784.JPG
Route from Ghlas to Lawers
P6251793.JPG
Loch Tay from top of Lawers
P6251799.JPG
Path down to bealach and An Stuc, before the Creag.
P6251800.JPG
Ptarmigan on way down from Ben Lawers
P6251802.JPG
Looking past Creag an Fhithich to Lawers from Bealach Dubh
P6251808.JPG
The cairn at top of An Stuc with Lawers and Ghlas in background
P6251807.JPG
Lochan nan Cat from top of An Stuc
P6251816.JPG
An Stuc and sheep tracks below Creag an Fhithich
P6251817.JPG
Looking back to An Stuc and slopes of Lawers, sheep track just visible and aimed to be above large boulder visible near the bealach.
U059361
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:38
Fionas:20   Donalds:27
Sub 2000:40   Hewitts:5
Islands:32

Re: Beinn Ghlas, Ben Lawers and An Stuc

Postby colgregg » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:27 pm

Nice one, some good pics there. I did this walk (although I never got as far as An Stuc due to the weather) on Thursday and never saw a thing once on the ridge to Beinn Ghlas!! lucky you getting the clear weather.
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=22781
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181
Wainwrights:214   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland