walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

An Eagle Eye View of Loch Eanich & 2 Ghost Munros's

An Eagle Eye View of Loch Eanich & 2 Ghost Munros's

Postby L-Hiking » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:19 pm

Route description: Sgòr Gaoith, from Glen Feshie

Munros included on this walk: Sgòr Gaoith

Date walked: 18/06/2012

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 18 km

Ascent: 860m

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I feel quite fortunate that I have been able to travel to the Highlands for the second time in 2 months. I had never seen the Cairngorms before never mind walked up there, so I spent a long time reading reports in the WH forum to decide where my wife Carol and I would venture in the 3 days we were spending in Aviemore.

Thanks to all especially the reports from Bod, Leithy and Monty, which were all instrumental in my planning. :clap: Of course ensuring that the times reflected in either Monty’s or Andrews reports are not realistic targets for a mere mortal like myself and adjusting accordingly.(No offence guys) :lol:

So it was to Feshiebridge I went and parked at a car parking area just of the road to the left before a bridge over the Allt Ruadh. We started on our way up the track through the trees at 1000.
P1010845.JPG
Initial path through the trees
P1010847.JPG
Looking behind towards the Monadhliath
It is a gentle and pleasant walk through the trees and you very quickly reach the open moorland where we followed the track upwards. The view ahead did not look at all inviting with the tops covered in clag, but the view behind looking towards the Monadhliath hills were magnificently clear. In a short while the track forks right and slightly downhill towards a bridge, we took the left fork heading onto the open hillside.
P1010848.JPG
Misty start
P1010851.JPG
Good path on the way up.

The path then contours the hillside gently climbing all the way and the clag was now lifting off the tops to give a clearer view of our objective for the day. As we got closer to the top, Carol spotted a large rabbit type animal, which I can only assume was a mountain hare. I managed to take a photograph as it was scampering up the hillside to take cover.

P1010855.JPG
Hare running away!
P1010858.JPG
First glimps of the summit
P1010859.JPG
Loch Einich and Braeriach

Moments later we got our first view of the summit, with Braeriach also showing itself for the first time at the other side of the glen, for those familiar to the Lakeland Fells the summit of Scor Gaoith is not too dissimilar to Kidsty Pike, but on a much grander scale and setting.

P1010860.JPG
Loch Einich
P1010862.JPG
P1010863.JPG
Braeriach
P1010864.JPG
Carol almost there
P1010866.JPG
P1010867.JPG

There was better to come as we reached the cliff edge there is a sheer drop all the way down to Loch Einich, which was a light shade of blue fringed with turquoise. This without doubt is a wonderful scene so please forgive me for taking a few pictures at this spot. The walk along the cliff edge to the summit crags was awesome, the view just jaw dropping and unbelievably beautiful. I just sat at the top thinking of how mortal we are in such majestic surroundings. We had the summit all to ourselves and thought about which way to go back.

First thoughts were to head for Carn Ban Mor and then Mullach Clach a Bhlair, but we decided that may be too far for our first day and decided to head for the summit of Scoran Dubh Mor, which no longer holds Munro status. A clear path leads along the cliff edge with more views down the glen and back to Sgor Gaoith.
P1010876.JPG
Scor Gaoith from Scoran Dubh Mor

We retraced our steps to the bealach between S G and SDM and then headed over Meall Buidhe and Geal Charn which also has had its privileged Munro status removed and is now just a top. This was a pleasant undulating decent to the top of Geal Charn followed by a steep decent through the heather to meet our outward track above the tree line.
P1010875.JPG
Geal Charn ridge and Aviemore
P1010878.JPG
Final glimpse of Scor Gaoith and Scoran Dubh Mor

A wonderful walk with awesome views, my taste buds well and truly wetted, I was now planning a trip the next day onto the Cairngorm plateau
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   

Re: An Eagle Eye View of Loch Eanich & 2 Ghost Munros's

Postby Johnny Corbett » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:39 pm

Good stuff and great views :thumbup: Been up this one twice and yet to see a thing :(
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby ChrisW » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:31 pm

Great stuff LH, and even better when you have the summit all to yourselves - beautiful photos of the gorms, enough to give a man a longing for home :wink: :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:51 pm

That looked a fantastic walk LH and certainly one to look forward to if I ever get to the Cairngorms. Lovely pics and report as well
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby monty » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:55 pm

An excellent report LH, with some great photos. Fantastic views from the summit. Superb :D
monty

Postby SusieThePensioner » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:25 pm

Great report and photos, Geoff :thumbup:

Glad you and Carol had such good weather, lucky you! :D
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby Gable Gable End » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:36 pm

beauty!
Gable Gable End
Mountaineer

Munros:64   Corbetts:6
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:7   

Postby L-Hiking » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:31 pm

monty wrote:An excellent report LH, with some great photos. Fantastic views from the summit. Superb :D

Cheers Monty, I was lucky with the view

SusieThePensioner wrote:Great report and photos, Geoff :thumbup:

Glad you and Carol had such good weather, lucky you! :D

Thanks Susie
Yea I was lucky with the weather, a great walk thoroughly enjoyedit :)

Gable Gable End wrote:beauty!

Thanks GGE

Johnny Corbett wrote:Good stuff and great views :thumbup: Been up this one twice and yet to see a thing :(

Third time lucky JC

ChrisW wrote:Great stuff LH, and even better when you have the summit all to yourselves - beautiful photos of the gorms, enough to give a man a longing for home :wink: :D

Cheers Chris, you have got plenty over there to keep you busy for a while
johnkaysleftleg wrote:That looked a fantastic walk LH and certainly one to look forward to if I ever get to the Cairngorms. Lovely pics and report as well

Hi JK, yes the Cairngorms are something else, my first time and I will be returning
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Postby morag1 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:09 pm

A wonderful walk, something really special about the Cairngorms :D

Look forward to your next report from these hills
morag1

Postby L-Hiking » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:59 pm

morag1 wrote:A wonderful walk, something really special about the Cairngorms :D

Look forward to your next report from these hills

Cheers Morag I am on with it
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Postby Katrina » Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:54 pm

Hoping to do this tomorrow, thanks for your report :)
Katrina
Hill Bagger

Postby litljortindan » Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:49 pm

Couldn't agree more with your description of the summit. Hope you get another couple of good days.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:153   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland