walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Tapz On!! Boots Aff!!

Tapz On!! Boots Aff!!

Postby pollyh33 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:32 am

Route description: White Mounth Munros, Glen Muick

Munros included on this walk: Broad Cairn, Cairn Bannoch, Càrn a' Choire Bhòidheach, Càrn an t-Sagairt Mòr, Lochnagar

Date walked: 23/06/2012

Time taken: 9.5 hours

Distance: 29 km

Ascent: 1228m

16 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

As a girl who just can't say no....... to a day on the hills, the pessimistic weather forecast wasn't going to change this trait. The mid-week sneaky peak club had gone all radical and planned a day out on a Saturday :crazy: :crazy: The main advantage to this diversion was that it meant WH Capo di tutti capi aka Gammy Leg Walker aka ???? eh I'll leave it there :lol: :lol: would be able to join us. This walk had been aborted in April due to heavy snow and instead of the Lochnagar 5, we did the Glenshee 1 but was remembered for the Dalmunzie 2!!!!

And so to the players in this continuing drama assembled at Gammy's house. Jonny and I arrived at the same time as Colin and made ourselves comfortable as we headed off to the canine carpark to pick up a rather off-colour Andy :(. A straightforward journey up to Ballater saw us there earlier than we thought and there to meet us was Wonderboy Ron and his Wonderdog Charlie. Ron had been round these hills on a previous occasion (just for a change :lol: ) and had planned a route to take in 10 tops while we played at munro bagging.

After failing miserably to get our parking money together, we set off in rather dreich conditions but still happy to be out together. It should be noted that we were missing one of the original Lochnagar attemptees, Jock McJock- he was tied up elsewhere :lol: .
P1010079.JPG
Ooops where have Ron and Charlie gone???

P1010080.JPG
There they are!

There is a very good path all the way through the estate and for pretty much the majority of this walk. Charlie was kept on his leash until we cleared the main buildings and grazing deer and did what dogs do, ran ahead and looked back to see why we were so slow or was that Ron??? :roll:

After about an hour of very easy walking the rain stopped and the sun came out- shouts of 'Tapz Aff' echoed back and forth and soon layers were shed making us all feel a lot more comfortable.
Ha ha but a wee bit too comfortable because lo and behold, what were we soon met with??....a dreaded river crossing!!! Oh we were not expecting that :o :o The performing circus brothers Ron and Andy hopped across without any fuss while the rest of us formed a War Cabinet and decided to send in the foot soldiers, so up went the cry 'Boots Aff!' and we conquered this torrent commando stylie :wtf:
P1010092.JPG

P1010096.JPG

With Meikle Pap providing a rather nice backdrop we stopped for refreshments and this is where my inability to say no really kicked in. I thought I had outdone myself by bringing along a Green and Blacks chocolate selection box but I was offered homemade white chocolate and custard cookies, jelly and fruit, nuts (organic and inorganic :wink: ) oranges - already peeled and segmented!!! Thick fudge rice crispie cakes!! Jeezo my jaws couldn't keep up!!!, I don't know who had the better time, me or Charlie!!!

P1010106.JPG

Food orgy over, we continued along and a gentle climb on the left hand path meant we left our views of the pap behind us and got our first glimpse of the Corrie of Lochnagar and its dark lochan.
P1010115.JPG

A clamber up the bouldery ladder provided us with the most obvious feeling of ascent for the day and with lots of care taken there were no problems at all.
P1010110.JPG

As you can see there was still a fair amount of cloud hanging about but the views were better than are evident in the photographs. That being said a cloud free day up here would be stunning. We just made our own views!!
P1010116.JPG

P1010119.JPG

While four of us headed for the wide path along the plateau, Colin and Andy fancied some rimming round the corrie edge and promised to meet us at the summit. Us non-rimmers were soon to enjoy our own delights with the sighting of one of the biggest non-summit cairns on the hills (most recently Mad Meg's) on Cac Carn Mor, quickly followed by the wonderful sight of Cac Carn Beag. A phonecall to Andy assured me that they hadn't overstepped the mark with their activities and were safely on their way to join us for a group photo.
P1010129.JPG
Sunny summit

As we made our way southwest the cloud lifted again and we got a smashing view of The Stuic, Loch nan Eun and summit number 2- Carn an t-Sagairt Mor. Oh what happiness!!!! 8)
And then the cloud moved in...big black rain clouds!!! :( :( and it rained and rained and rained....... You know how you have a wee tear in your waterproof trousers and you think it wont matter???? Well today it did!! I was soaked, wringing, drookit from the waist down and from the waist up, luckily my feet and head remained warm and dry otherwise I would have been pretty miserable :(

There's really not much to comment on the summits of the remaining four munros other than to say that they are easy peasy and make for a good stretch of the legs. Please keep checking your GPS and/or maps because at least two of them had cairns that we initially mistook as being the summits :oops: :oops:

As you will see in the photos we just progressively got wetter and wetter but the banter never threatened to disappoint and its degree of inappropriateness kept hitting new heights :shock:
P1010157.JPG
Geez a hug!

The descent off the final summit, Broad Cairn, was a bit tricky with endless slippery boulders and we were glad to reach the bulldozed path. This takes you down to a metal hut and there's a wee bench for those who fancy a bit of a rest. Not long after this the path splits. There is a marker cairn and we took the left hand turn here with path taking us along the shores of Loch Muick. It is a very long walk back and I think it took us the best part of 2 hours (maybe more) to get back to the car. The advantage to this meant that when the sun reappeared we could shed our wettest layers and dry out a wee bit 8)
P1010178.JPG
Hello Sunshine!

Unfortunately for me I didn't bring a complete change of clothes (I've become complacent due to all fantastic walking weather I've had) so it was a cold wet bahooki for me. After a smashing stop at the Alexandra Hotel for Peroni and fish and chips (sorry, famous jumbo fish and chips) we headed home. And now for my apologies..... sorry to Andy who had to endure my singing on that long walk back everything from Fame to Whats It All About Alfie!!!, sorry to wee woman who sat in my seat before I had the chance to move the cushion- you don't have a weak bladder missus honest!, sorry to the pub owner I nicked half a packet of paper towels to stick down the back of my sodden trousers for the journey home, sorry to Colin and Andy for sending them home with wet trouser legs and shoulders as I seeped and slept on the way home and finally a collective sorry to Gammy from all of your passengers who despite showing great promise of liveliness during Bohemian Rhapsody (it helps if you have BIG hair) , we all promptly fell asleep and left you with a long drive home!!! Please forgive us. XXXX
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Tapz On!! Boots Aff!!

Postby andy millar1 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:36 am

Cracking report Pollypops!! Sorry again for not adding to the fotaes but will add them in later,great day again and great company!! :clap: :clap: :roll: (next time a change of clothes!!!)
andy millar1

Postby ChrisW » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:06 am

Great report Polly, but I was so looking forward to seeing my favourite location :roll: still a great day in the best of company....though you seem to be left with a lot of apologising to do....and then you rotten sods left poor old gammy to drive you back while you all snored in his ear :lol: Anyway, good to see a post fom you it seems to have been a while :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby rocket-ron » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:16 am

Well done Mrs H . Your back with a bang. With a great report once again . Another fab day day. Weather was bad but the constant chat and laughs make up for the bad weather
rocket-ron
Mountaineer

Munros:222   Corbetts:94
Fionas:22   
Sub 2000:15   

Postby laconic surf » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:17 am

Well done Polly. Had been looking forward to your report ahead of the wee WH meet for this route in August.
Shame about the weather :? but great company seems to have made up for it.
Think I may build a wee raft for that river crossing :lol:
Hope to read another report of yours before your sabbatical from hill walking. Great effort in dreich conditions :thumbup:
laconic surf
Munro compleatist

Munros:100   Corbetts:1
Fionas:6   Donalds:19
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:2

Postby Mountainlove » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:21 am

Brilliant report Polly, had me smiling :D Food orgy up the hills...that selection sounded delicious- yummy!! :D
Good effort to walk in the rain...but where is summer gone too?? :(
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby lomondwalkers » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:14 am

Looks like another cracking day out for the MWSPC despite the crappy weather 8) Not so sure about the dodgy song choices though!!! :lol:
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Munros:143   Corbetts:57
Fionas:57   Donalds:73
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby morag1 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:24 am

Great fun report Polly, just wondering who was the Sargeant Major, shouting Tapz on, boots aff???

Love the photo of Usain Bolt :lol:
morag1

Postby old danensian » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:38 am

Thanks for the report Polly - whetted / wetted my appetite for this group (hills and people) as I was thinking about this for the meet up in August.

OD
old danensian

Munros:282   Corbetts:101
Donalds:9
Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:151   

Postby SusieThePensioner » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:45 am

A really entertaining and, at times, hilarious report, Pauline :thumbup: Enjoyed the photos!
Glad to see you've not lost the knack of report writing :lol:

pollyh33 wrote: The mid-week sneaky peak club had gone all radical and planned a day out on a Saturday
Jonny will have to change the name to the all-week sneaky peak club :D

pollyh33 wrote: I thought I had outdone myself by bringing along a Green and Blacks chocolate selection box but I was offered homemade white chocolate and custard cookies, jelly and fruit, nuts (organic and inorganic ) oranges - already peeled and segmented!!! Thick fudge rice crispie cakes!! Jeezo my jaws couldn't keep up!!!, I don't know who had the better time, me or Charlie!!!
Can I join you next time please????? :lol:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby Meatball » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:48 am

Cracking report Polly!
You'll certainly have to try the first one again in the dry!
Anyone else spot the innuendo bingo hidden in this report? No? Just me? LOL
Meatball

Munros:63   Corbetts:49
Fionas:7   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   

Postby laconic surf » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:14 am

P.S In that first photo have you guys been sponsored by Berghaus Waterproof Trousers? :lol:
laconic surf
Munro compleatist

Munros:100   Corbetts:1
Fionas:6   Donalds:19
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:2

Postby monty » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:15 am

Excellent tale young lady. (Where have you been hiding?).
Another mini WH meet up. Looks like fun although the weather was dreicht. Big round so well done all. :D
monty

Postby PeteR » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:52 pm

Shame about the weather at the end there Polly. Seems reminicent of my trip up this group. Clag at the start :( , cleared a bit :) then pelted it down :shock: but a nice walk alongside the Loch to finish the day 8) Still, I enjoyed this round when I did them and will have to get back one day when the sun is shining.

It certainly seems a riot with all of you when you get out on the hills. I'm not sure I could handle all that food though - I'd need a wee siesta at some point to sleep it all off :lol:

I was over the way on Mayer and Driesh on Sunday and looking toward Lochnagar the weather that way looked worse than you had for your mid-week sneaky peak weekend outing. For the most part I missed the rain on my two but anyone on lochnagar would likely have got soaked from start to finish :(
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby Jock McJock » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:15 pm

Alexandra Hotel for Peroni and fish and chips??????? :shock: :shock: :shock: What about Dalmunzie for cheap lager, plate of crisps and, well, those views???!! Very disapointed!! :( :( Glad I wasn't there, the shame of it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well done folks, really wish I had been up to making this one. Hopefully on the mend and will be back to the MWSP club soon. Andy, get yer finger oot and get the pics on ya steamer! :lol: :lol: Oh and great report Polly, :clap: :clap: loved it......BUT.....what happened to song titles (or tittles as Jonny likes to call them :lol: ) for walk reports? Pfffft, standards are slipping. Jonny, sort her out eh? :lol: :lol:
Jock McJock
Mountain Walker

Munros:173   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   

16 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland