walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Half way along; then had to retreat

Half way along; then had to retreat

Postby Lightfoot2017 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:45 pm

Route description: Liathach, Glen Torridon

Munros included on this walk: Spidean a' Choire Lèith (Liathach)

Date walked: 19/05/2012

Distance: 11 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I made my way half-way along the Liathach ridge in mid May 2012.

I have to confess, it was THE most sobering experience I have ever had in the Scottish hills. I managed to buddy-up with a nice couple from Edinburgh in the car park, and, together, we made our way up to Spidean a’Choire Leith. We tried to make our way along the Am Fasarinen Pinnacles, but after the first part, which was pretty scary stuff, we backed out and made our way back the way we had come.

It wasn’t a good feeling giving up, but we all felt it was the safe, sensible option.

Conditions were good, but there was snow (melting, heavy-slush-like and so very slippery) along the ridge at the time.

Also, parts of the path which skirted the pinnacles was heavily snowed under (this was mid May!) and even making our way along this required some VERY delicate manoeuvring and a lot of silent, panicked prayer!

Thankfully, I don’t read many negative experiences of walks online, but I think it’s important to point out that sometimes – just sometimes – the hill is the winner, and we mere mortals have to gracefully concede defeat and head back licking our wounds to fight another day.

I dare say I'll be back one day to tackle Mullacch an Rathain, from the Western route in perhaps.

Despite the breath-taking scenery, this was not my best experience in the great Scottish outdoors.
Lightfoot2017
Mountain Walker

Munros:182   
Fionas:1   

Re: Half way along; then had to retreat

Postby Sgurr » Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:31 pm

"The hill is the winner". I think you both won. You came out with a greater knowledge of what you want to do, and the hill is still there. Nobody says you have to do the ridge between. I didn't, as I experienced similar conditions. If I ever manage to finish the Grahams I may (only may) go back.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Re: Half way along; then had to retreat

Postby basscadet » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:16 am

Liathach bet us as well once.. It was this time of year, so still plenty of snow about, but it was hot!
We went the normal way. Made it to the ridge, paths still banked up so went along the crest. I stepped onto a slightly slanty platform, covered in snow, the snow plaque slid off, with me standing on it. Managed to grab the rock whilst the snow fell a couple of hundred feet into the corrie below :shock:
We retreated, huge hunks of ice falling off the cliffs above us and rolling past.. blooming scary that!
So you got a lot further than us 8)
Went back in summer and had a ball :)
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland