walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Record Breaking Round of the Fisherfields?

A Record Breaking Round of the Fisherfields?

Postby madasa mongoose » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:01 pm

Route description: Fisherfield 6, from Shenavall

Munros included on this walk: A' Mhaighdean, Beinn Tarsuinn, Mullach Coire Mhic Fhearchair, Ruadh Stac Mòr, Sgùrr Bàn

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn a' Chlaidheimh

Date walked: 27/06/2012

Time taken: 18.75 hours

Distance: 29 km

Ascent: 2254m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I’ve never been a record breaker. Speed’s not my thing. I like to savour every moment in the mountains; soak up the atmosphere if you will. For some reason, I do a lot of soaking up on the uphill bits. I do however usually complete routes within the estimated limits, and even at times a little faster. So I reckoned the Fisherfield round would be doable for me in around 14 hours, give or take the odd half hour. As it happens, this turned out to be a tad optimistic.

This route is one I’ve been hoping to do for a long time. Various injuries had thwarted previous plans but now, back to relative fitness, the Fisherfields were on! My friend Kim was keen to join me and the weather looked set fair for the planned climbing day. The actual climbing day turned out to be a day later due to other commitments by which time the fair weather window had closed for the summer and our navigational skills were about to be tested.

The walk in was pleasant; relatively dry and midge free with views of one of my favourite mountains, An Teallach.

back up 003.jpg
walk in to camp spot

back up 006.jpg
close up of An Teallach

Then a fine camp spot near the river to pitch Kim’s veritably palatial two-man tent.

back up 007.jpg
palatial camping

At this point the midge fest began and continued throughout the night as wave upon wave of midgie battalions assaulted the tent. Suffice to say I was in that tent faster than a fast thing with a following wind and didn’t venture out til morning. The plan was to set off at 6am but a bit of a faff-fest meant we actually left at 7am. My previous close encounters with rivers meant the first crossing was tentative but thankfully uneventful. Then the steep slog up the first Munro, Beinn Chlaidheimh, punctuated with frequent interludes of soaking up the atmosphere and getting friendly with the locals.

back up 012.jpg
looking back down to camp spot

back up 015.jpg
hare/rabbit/hoppy thing

back up 023.jpg
frog/toad/hoppy thing

back up 021.jpg
spiderless spider's web

Eventually we reached the ridge leading to the claggy summit cairn.

back up 027.jpg
summit ridge

back up 029.jpg
Kim on summit of Beinn Chlaidheimh

On the ascent to Munro number 2, Sgurr Ban, the clag cleared to provide tantalising glimpses of the surrounding mountains.

back up 041.jpg
Beinn Dearg Mor

back up 045.jpg
looking back to Beinn Chlaidheimh

Until closing in again at the summit :(

back up 047.jpg
taking in the "view"

Careful navigation was needed now with frequent checks of map, GPS and compass as there was no evident path down to the bealach. Much wobbly, wet boulder hopping later we looked up at the start of the ascent to the third Munro, Mullach Coire Mhic Fhearchair and thought....hmmm! :eh:

back up 048.jpg
path up Mullach Coire Mhic Fhearchair

Though steep, we actually found this ascent one of the easiest and we were quickly on top to take in the stunning landscapes. So "stunning" in fact, I forgot to take a picture :wink: :lol:

The clouds did part on the descent and, once through the tricky boulder field, I rattled off a few photos while the weather Gods were kind.

back up 051.jpg
Beinn Dearg Mor (again)

back up 062.jpg
looking back to our route

back up 063.jpg

The summit of Munro number 4, Beinn Tarsuinn, took more effort but was eventually reached and we were rewarded with our first (and only) summit view :D

back up 064.jpg
Kim on the summit of Beinn Tarsuinn

The descent off Beinn Tarsuiin was a treat, helped of course by the reward of some stunning views at last.

back up 067.jpg
first sight of the "tennis court"

back up 068.jpg
close up of the tennis court

back up 077.jpg
great little ridge :)

Then a long, so very long, ascent of the 5th Munro, A' Mhaighdean, where navigational skills were tested as the clag descended and remained.

The summit was eventually reached but the reward of “perhaps the finest of summit views” on “the remotest of all Munros” was alas not to be and we could only imagine (and recall from photos taken by more fortunate WH folk) the joy of the surrounding mountain landscapes.

back up 083.jpg
Kim on the summit of A' Mhaighdean

At this point, I was starting to feel a wee bit weary. Normally spurred on by mountain views that provide a surge of motivation when needed, I flagged on the descent to the bealach which proved tricky navigationally in the clag. Not to worry though as my senses were soon to be sharply prompted by the ascent route up the final Munro, Ruadh Stac Mor. I'd read various descriptions of this route and was therefore keen to find the reported scree path rather than attempt free climbing up the steep, wet crags – as if! :shock:

Fortunately the path was easily found and up we merrily went until faced with an impenetrable rock face. At this point I actually said out loud "You cannot be (insert swear word of choice) serious!" :wtf: I don't know who I was talking to (the mountain, the WH route writers, or the weather Gods who were currently chucking rain at us with gay abandon) but there was no way I was going up there. A brief glance to the right however revealed that the path actually continued up steep scree. Hallelujah! Who'd have thought steep scree could be so welcome :D

Much grunting later and the final summit of Ruadh Stac Mor was reached at 8.25pm.

back up 086.jpg
A weary smile on the final summit

The round was complete! :D Em, doh, no. There was still the small matter of 12km, 2 river crossings and a bog to tackle in the fading light. Fortunately, the descent off Ruadh Stac Mor was straightforward and we were soon on the excellent stalkers' path heading back round the bulk of Munro number 1, Beinn Chlaidheimh. Initial relief at reaching this was soon tempered by the length of the route home and the thought of crossing two rivers and "one of the worst sections of bog you can imagine", in the dark. Many mountain mantras later, used when both body and spirit are weak (e.g. 1, 2, 3 O'Leary, I saw Mrs Cleary… various versions), the first river crossing was easily made where all previous concerns with all things watery were swiftly forgotten with my focus now on tent and sleep! Mr Bog with his many slimy pools however proved a more formidable opponent and the air was blue with Scottish/Italian expletives by the time we crossed the second river and found the path heading back to our tent. Home sweet home was eventually reached at 1.45am, almost 19 hours after setting off :crazy: Perhaps a record for the slowest round? :lol:

I think a fitting word is epic but, despite the physical and mental exhaustion, the brief glimpses of the surrounding landscape proved that this is certainly an area worthy of praise and one to be savoured again when the weather Gods are smiling :D
madasa mongoose
Munro compleatist

Munros:267   Corbetts:1

Re: A Record Breaking Round of the Fisherfields?

Postby LeithySuburbs » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:44 pm

Some effort in not ideal conditions :D . Slow... no such thing :) . Cheers for the report,
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby Meatball » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:47 pm

Good report this.
A big achievement!
I've still to do this...don't know how I feel about that!
Meatball

Munros:63   Corbetts:50
Fionas:8   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   

Postby pigeon » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:09 pm

Shame about the conditions mongoose,great report though and well done for getting round on what looked like a tough day.Hopefully get up there myself in the next few weeks so thanks for posting :thumbup:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:130
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby Bod » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:16 pm

Great stuff there, can't wait to do this too. Well done :D :D :D
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Postby gammy leg walker » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:46 pm

Great report & very timley heading there soon,but 19hrs tent to tent :shock: my knee disnae want to be that long. :lol:
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby madasa mongoose » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:20 pm

Thanks guys for your comments :)

gammy leg walker wrote:Great report & very timley heading there soon,but 19hrs tent to tent :shock: my knee disnae want to be that long. :lol:

Don't think my knees will ever be the same again! Next time I'll need to be fitter, choose a better day and set off earlier as there's no way I want to be crossing that bog in the dark again! :crazy:
madasa mongoose
Munro compleatist

Postby dooterbang » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:08 pm

Oh my that is an epic day out :shock:

Big pat on the back for yourself and Kim, well done :clap:

Shame about the views...you can always check my report :lol:

Defo worth a revisit...
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby madasa mongoose » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:00 pm

Thanks Dooterbang :)

dooterbang wrote:Shame about the views...you can always check my report :lol:

I did just that! Good to see what we missed. I'll be back!
madasa mongoose
Munro compleatist

Postby monty » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:06 pm

Excellent effort on a long long day :lol: Hate to rub it in but the views you mist (no pun intended) are the best in Scotland :lol: You will just have to do it again. Well done Shirley, that was an epic. :D
monty

Postby madasa mongoose » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:14 pm

monty wrote:Hate to rub it in but the views you mist (no pun intended) are the best in Scotland :lol:

Haha cheers Monty :lol: I may allow some time for memories of slimy bog to fade but definitely a route to do again :D
madasa mongoose
Munro compleatist

Postby jonny616 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:01 pm

As gammy says timely because we are up there soon. Great effort & good to hear that the midges were not too bad :clap: :clap: :clap:
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby davedanson28 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:17 pm

Well done you guys, bugger the times, as long as you enjoyed yourselves. :clap:
Great report, well done. :D
davedanson28
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:5
Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:4   

Postby madasa mongoose » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:49 am

Thanks Jonny. Good luck with your round - hope the weather Gods are kind :)

davedanson28 wrote:Well done you guys, bugger the times, as long as you enjoyed yourselves.

Haha! Thanks Dave. It was tough but we did enjoy it :-D I'm never one to rush the hills though I'm going to try to be a wee bit quicker next time to hopefully avoid any more close encounters with Mr. Bog :lol:
madasa mongoose
Munro compleatist

Postby robertphillips » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:50 pm

Well done, done these 2 weeks ago in the clag as well. 8)
robertphillips
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:423   Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   Islands:39

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland