walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Falls of Bruar and Red Squirell watching

Falls of Bruar and Red Squirell watching

Postby allansmitchell » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:15 pm

Route description: The Falls of Bruar, near Blair Atholl

Date walked: 12/11/2009

Time taken: 2 hours

Distance: 2 km

Ascent: 150m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We enjoyed this wee walk, been here in the past and they have now added fences along the bottom river cliff edges, which from what I recal is probably from those getting too close to the edge and the bank giving way. It does stop you seeing into the gorge now, but you still get the views before the first bridge on a raised platform.
We kept to the west side going in a clock wise route, there is a small bridge on land used by the victorians to pose at or something (god where did my memory go) with the falls in the back ground.
The path heads up to the second bridge with views back down the glen from the bridge, we were there in summer so no views of the gorge. Crossing the bridge and up to the left there is a small picnic area, so, you guessed it we had lunch. Thats when I first heard the distinct scramble from tree to tree of the red squirrel. And thats when I cursed my self for not bringing my zoom lens, our walk then turned into tracking the squirrel back down the gorge, which was nice to watch him (or her) jump from tree to tree, eat some pine seeds and continue to jump down the hill. We lost sight of him when we had came to a clearing where you get a great view up the gorge to the bridge you just crossed at the falls. Another couple of hundred feet and you are back at the lower bridge and then same path back to the car park.

Honest its a red squirrel

Last edited by allansmitchell on Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
allansmitchell
Mountaineer

Munros:4   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:7   

Re: Falls of Bruar and Red Squirell watching

Postby mountain coward » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:36 pm

Red squirrel stalkers!! :lol: Looks a spectacular walk - maybe I'll get time when I'm in that area for the Tarf Hotel walk at the end of the month (although I think I'm going to be going up the Boar of Badenoch instead as that's right by my B&B!). Some great waterfall pics.
mountain coward

Postby allansmitchell » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:58 pm

I was reading that walk thats planned for November, maybe next year for me, Im still on 2km a hour speed at the moment and thats with a 30 second stop every few hundred feet, not sure what is the average walking speed, but I would guess its between 4 and 6kms/h so not fit enough yet. Thanks for the pic comment, pity I hadnt packed a longer lens for the squirrel, its only the 3rd one I have ever seen, got better shot the last time

allansmitchell
Mountaineer

Postby mountain coward » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:07 am

Well that's a good one of it hanging above you thinking "Go away stalker! I'm not coming down till you leave!" :lol:

I'm not sure how fast we'll be walking either - I'm still getting used to carrying a full pack - I normally carry very little. Apart from the carrying I'm pretty fit tho...
mountain coward

Postby allansmitchell » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:18 am

It was thinking that Im sure, as they dont normaly stay still, but I managed to get 4 quick shots before it ran back up the tree and tarzaned away.
My concern is more joint weakness hence the slow pace, but Im sure once my knee and spine strengthen with time I will speed up. As for weight I carry double just now for the fitness value, and boy does it show you where there are muscles that have not seen the light of day for years. Im just trying to not do things too quick, in my youth 30 mile yomps with 120LBs on your back was a day off. Will get there, as the other half says baby steps, taken me years to get out into the hills so dont want to mess it up.
All the best on your trip.
allansmitchell
Mountaineer

Postby mountain coward » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:36 am

Yeah, it's definitely slow and sure after injuries etc. - I found that out when I damaged both my Achilles tendons this summer - couldn't walk for 2 months! Had to cycle instead (that seemed okay). Seemed to take ages to get walking fit again :(
mountain coward

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland