walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meikle Bin Circuit from Milton of Campsie

Meikle Bin Circuit from Milton of Campsie

Postby findhornloon » Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:41 pm

Route description: Meikle Bin, Carron Valley

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Meikle Bin

Date walked: 03/06/2012

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 16.4 km

Ascent: 785m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Meikle Bin Circuit from my home in Milton of Campsie, 8.5 hours including 1.5 hrs of stops. Waltry Burn - Cowies Glen - Brown Hill (396m) - Birkenburn Reservoir (430m)- MEIKLE BIN (570m) - Lecket Hill (547m) - Cort-ma Law (531m) - Knockybuckle (380m) - Ashenwell Dams - Cowies Glen (see zoomable map at end)

The first challenge, Brown Hill (396m) a short but very steep climb once you cross the farmland after two small reservoirs.
100_8664.JPG
The first challenge, Brown Hill just over an hour from Milton of Campsie.

The view of west along the Campsies, on the right is Cort ma Law, my last summit on the circuit, I'll be descending from there, nice to see the blue skies are holding up especially as there is a coldish NE wind blowing.
100_8663.JPG
Cort ma Law and the view west along the Campsies.

Looking back at Milton of Campsie with Bishopbriggs and Glasgow beyond from just below Brown Hill after a particularily steep climb up the last section alongside the fenceline.
100_8666.JPG
Looking back at Milton of Campsie with Bishopbriggs and Glasgow beyond.

After a long and arduous 2 hour hike over relentless grassy clumps and sphagnum moss, Meikle Bin comes into view for the first time. This photo is taken from the just west of the Birkenburn Reservoir, one hour to the summit, tough walk but enjoyable, I would not recommend this route during wet weather, today the moss and bog is in the main dry and walkable, in wet underfoot conditions it could be a real nightmare.
100_8669.JPG
At last after a 2 hour hike Meikle Bin comes into view.

Once the coniferous plantation is reached a pleasant grassy glen is crossed before you reach a short but really muddy and slippy climb out of the forest onto the southern slopes of Meikle Bin.
100_8671.JPG
Be prepared for a really muddy and slippy climb out of the plantation onto the hill.

The view from the summit looking east over the Carron Valley Reservoir, most people trek to the summit from reservoir car parks.
100_8674.JPG
View east from Meikle Bin summit.

Part of the wing section of the Fairey Firefly fighter plane wreckage from 8 January 1950 in which 2 airmen died (Lt. J. Arthur Robertson (RNVR), Pilot and Naval Airman J. Smith) still lies near the summit with the engine block further down the hill.
100_8676.JPG
Part of the wing section of the fighter plane wreckage from 8 January 1950.

After some tea and snacks on the sheltered side of the hill away from the biting wind, its forward on the next leg to Lecket Hill (547m) in the SW, again it looks like more hard going over grassy clumps and sphagnum moss.
100_8677.JPG
Looking back up at Meikle Bin from the edge of forest to the SW.
100_8682.JPG
Yep more grassy clumps and sphagnum moss to negotiate en route to Lecket Hill in the distance.

Down at this end of the forest there are however some nice spots.
100_8679.JPG
Today a babbling brook, bet it's more often a torrent !!

Just under an hour from Meikle Bin to Lecket Hill, a pretty indistict summit and ever smaller cairn, but good view of Meikle Bin and also to Ben Lomond, The Cobbler and Goat Fell on Arran. Next leg from Lecket Hill to Cort-ma Law (531m) is traversed in less than 30 min over a fairly flat but sometimes boggy and indistinct path (described on the hill race website as man-eating emerald green bog !!). Met a group of young scout cubs and leaders enjoying their day out in the hills.
100_8683.JPG
The trig point on Cort-ma Law.

After Cort-ma Law a large cairn is passed, proved to be a good shelter for a cup of tea and the bonus of a nice view south. From here a rough hill track can be followed down all the way to Garmore Farm and the main road. As I was still fresh and with time to spare I decided to scramble down the steep slope and take a look at a deeply incised burn and the site of the Meikle Reive Fort en route.
100_8691.JPG
Site of the Meikle Reive Fort and its grassy embankments.

100_8693.JPG
Last view of the Campsies before heading home.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

findhornloon
Scrambler

Munros:54   Corbetts:5
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   

Re: Meikle Bin Circuit from Milton of Campsie

Postby ledgie » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:56 am

Thanks for this report. I too live in Milton of Campsie and have been planning my route to Meikle Bin from the village.

I had planned to go out of the village up past Craighead School, then Shields etc but your route looks more direct. How do you get to Waltry Burn and Cowies Glen from the village, is it via Scott Ave? Also, did you find it easy enough to get accross to the Ashenwell Dams after coming down at Knockybuckle?

Looks like you got a good day for the walk as more recently the tops of the Campsies have been well covered in clouds! :)
ledgie
Mountaineer

Munros:1   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Re: Meikle Bin Circuit from Milton of Campsie

Postby Alan S » Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:45 pm

Great report there 8)
Interesting route I have never looked at this from milton of campsie :D
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland