walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Day 1 on Skye and the Inaccessible Pinnacle is accessed

Day 1 on Skye and the Inaccessible Pinnacle is accessed

Postby clivew » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:02 pm

Route description: Sgùrr Dearg and the In Pinn

Munros included on this walk: Inaccessible Pinnacle, Sgùrr Mhic Chòinnich

Date walked: 21/06/2012

Time taken: 6.45 hours

Distance: 9.04 km

Ascent: 1131m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We are doing the In Pin first thing in the morning........this wasn't exactly what I expected when we contacted our guide, Jonah Jones, on arrival in Skye on the Wednesday night after a 5 hour drive from Edinburgh. But there we were at the car park by the rescue station in Glen Brittle at 08.30 on the Thursday morning raring to go.
The trip had been in the planning for a while, my brother, Colin, who had flown up to Edinburgh from Wales the previous day, and I, had started planning this when we climbed Kilimanjaro earlier in the year, it seemed like a natural progression, Kili followed by the In Pin. :lol: :lol:
Perhaps at this stage I had better mention my long suffering wife Jacqueline who has "allowed" Colin and I to clear off every now and then to full fill our passion of travelling to far away places and climbing hills and mountains; thanks Jackie much appreciated. :clap: :clap:
I'm a Munro bagger and love every minute of it, I knew that sooner or later the In Pin was going to have to be conquered if I'm going to reach my target of becoming a "Munroist" and as I'm not getting any younger I didn't want to leave it too long as the knees are getting a bit worn.
We had booked Jonah Jones as our guide, I had read about Jonah in a few other walk reports so felt pretty confident that he was our man. Jonah turned out to be a great guide, he's a top bloke who knows exactly how far to push you and soon learns what you are capable of achieving, apart from that he serves good food and Ale in his Hotel the Taigh Ailean, just past the Talisker Distillery between Carbost and Portnalong.
Back to the start of our walk, Jonah knew that the main purpose of coming to skye was to get as many Munros as possible under our belt and my main aim was the In Pin. The weather report for the Thursday afternoon and the rest of the week wasn't too good with the possibility of rain and high wind, hence 08.30 on day 1 in the car park in Glen Brittle.
We soon set off towards Sgurr Dearg heading for the west shoulder directly in front of us, it's a really good climb up and we made good time, stopping off for a tea break when we reached about the 2,000ft mark.

P1000467.JPG
Colin (on the right) and Jonah our guide having a quick cuppa

Following the curve of the ridge the tip of the In Pin suddenly appear in front of you, it looks nothing from this angle, its only when you get up close you realise the size of it and how exposed it is.

P1000473.JPG
The In Pin sticking its head over the ridge

P1000477.JPG
The In Pin in full view with the lone climbers rope ready for his descent

We didn't waste any time, Jonah had briefed us during the walk up so we new exactly what we were going to do. After getting our harnesses on we made our way down to the base of the East side of the Pinnacle, got roped up and before we knew it Jonah was up and over the first shoulder, I followed on behind with Colin bringing up the rear. The climb up to the summit is great although don't be under any illusions it is narrow and exposed, Jonah had told us to concentrate on the square metre in front of us, this isn't a bad tip as the drop off to the right is "considerable" to say the least. We were all on the summit in no time at all and Jonah was setting up the anchor point for us to abseil down the West face. I went down first, it was great fun, I hadn't abseiled in years and had forgotten how enjoyable it was, it was over far too quickly I felt like going around again.

P1000482.JPG
Colin following me up the East ridge

P1000484.JPG
Me on the top of the In Pin

P1000485.JPG
Colin preparing to abseil

P1000487.JPG
The Pinnacle

P1000491.JPG
Colin part way down the In Pin

P1000493.JPG
Jonah prepares his descent

I would like to say it was a piece of cake.... but to be honest just looking back over the pictures I have just uploaded my palms are dripping with sweat; it was a very enjoyable experience that I was glad to get over and done with and will remember for a long time.... anyway onwards and upwards.
We skirted down and around the In Pin heading for the Bealach which separates Sgurr Dearg from Sgurr Mhic Choinich which was our next target; the route is quite hairy in places and certainly not one to tackle in the wet.

P1000496.JPG
The route from the In Pin around the left of An Stac and down to the Bealach below Sgurr Mhic Choinich

We left our bags at the base of Sgurr Mhic Choinich and scrambled up the rocks to our second summit of the day; the weather had held for us and the wind which was starting to get a bit blustery earlier had dropped right off. We turned around and followed the same route back to the Bealach and had a well earned break before starting our descent.

P1000497.JPG
The In Pin from Sgurr Mhic Choinich

P1000498.JPG
The In Pin and the Bealach from Sgurr Mhic Choinich

P1000502.JPG
Sgurr Mhic Choinich, the Great Stone Chute and Sgurr Alasdair on the right

We were back in Glen Brittle by about 3.30. it had been a great day out and one which my brother and I will remember for a long time thanks to Jonah, day 2 and more of the Cuillins to follow.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by clivew on Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
clivew
Mountain Walker

Munros:157   
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Day 1 on Skye and the Inaccessible Pinnacle is accessed

Postby PeteR » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:54 pm

Well done on getting the Inn Pinn ticked and out of the way :thumbup: It looks like you had a great day. The hills on Skye certainly do look incredible, and very different to anything on the mainland.

I still live in the hope that a big gust of wind will blow the Inn Pinn over (with no-one anywhere near it of course) and I won't have to put myself through hell to get to the top of it. Something tells me I might not get that wish granted :lol: I'm currently pencilling in 2013 to tackle this one, but every report I read and all the pictures I see just give me palpitations :shock:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby Greigers » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:55 pm

Well Done has to be a baggers greatest ambition great pics and report :clap: :clap: :clap: i hope it dont get blown over till i have my turn when time comes :lol:
Greigers
Mountain Walker

Munros:7   
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:2   

Postby clivew » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:27 pm

PeteR wrote:Well done on getting the Inn Pinn ticked and out of the way :thumbup: It looks like you had a great day. The hills on Skye certainly do look incredible, and very different to anything on the mainland.

I still live in the hope that a big gust of wind will blow the Inn Pinn over (with no-one anywhere near it of course) and I won't have to put myself through hell to get to the top of it. Something tells me I might not get that wish granted :lol: I'm currently pencilling in 2013 to tackle this one, but every report I read and all the pictures I see just give me palpitations :shock:

Thanks Pete; you never know we may get one of those huge gusts of wind and over she'll go, on the other hand it could stand for hundreds of years so get yourself a guide and go for it :lol: :lol:
clivew
Mountain Walker

Postby monty » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:46 pm

Nice one Clive. Looks like the weather was just about right. well done :D
monty

Postby clivew » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:46 pm

monty wrote:Nice one Clive. Looks like the weather was just about right. well done :D

Hi Monty, yep the weather was perfect, the best day we were to have fortunately
clivew
Mountain Walker

Postby Alan S » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:30 pm

Well done :D get really jealous of these cloud free pics of this as i saw hee haw :D
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby clivew » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:58 pm

alan s wrote:Well done :D get really jealous of these cloud free pics of this as i saw hee haw :D

We had a similar experience for the next two days on the ridge, couldn't see b........r all, or even less at times :lol: :lol:
clivew
Mountain Walker

Postby robertphillips » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:02 pm

Well done loved the inn pinn. 8)
robertphillips
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:423   Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   Islands:39

Postby mrssanta » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:17 pm

Robert this is yourself on the In Pinn looking very comfortable!
P5090843.JPG
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby clivew » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:43 pm

mrssanta wrote:Robert this is yourself on the In Pinn looking very comfortable!
P5090843.JPG

That's a cracking photo, brilliant
clivew
Mountain Walker

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland