walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Lowe Alpine Mountain Marathon

Lowe Alpine Mountain Marathon

Postby andrewcampbell57 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:49 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Eunaich

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn a' Bhuiridh, Beinn Mhic-Mhonaidh

Date walked: 09/06/2012

Time taken: 9.5 hours

Distance: 36 km

Ascent: 2500m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We took part in the 2012 LAMM at Ben Cruachan. We did the D Course which was 19km and 1500m climb the first day and 17km and 1000m climb the second day. The start was up at the dam and we then headed up Beinn a'Bhuiridh to the first control. We then headed esat along the ridge before dropping down to the corrie where ther ewas 2 more controls. We then went up to the walkers route up Beinn Eunaich on the ridge and after reaching the top we followed the ridge to 2 more controlswith the second being near the small lochan. We then traversed along the side of Beinn Lurachan before running along the flatish area towards Meal Buidhe. Then we decended to Glenkinglass Lodge where the overnight camp was. After day 1 we were in 3rd place.

After a good nights sleep we set off in the chasing start but not after explriencing midges from hell. We headed up towards the woods to the easrt and followed the southern boundry before running up the valley and then turning left up a tributary to the first control. We then made a mistake of coming out of the valley the wrong way and being caught up in some cargs which cost us about 15 minutes. We then ascended the east of Beinn Mhic-Mhonaidhto control 2. Then we ran along the grassy ridge to the other end to control 3 and then down to Alltnan Guithas. We then traversed up the heathery slopes to control 5 which was quite hard to navigate to. We then headed east to control 6 after getting confused due to unmarked deer fences and then through Duiletter to the finish on the far side of the river. We were still 3rd!!!
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

andrewcampbell57
Munro compleatist

Re: Lowe Alpine Mountain Marathon

Postby monty » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:01 pm

Excellent effort Andrew. I think this may be the first report on here for the LAMM. :D
monty

Postby AccidentallyOutdoors » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:46 am

Hi Andrew, sounds like an enjoyable weekend. Out of interest was it mostly running or were there walking teams on it? It's something I would like to do but seems a little intense.
AccidentallyOutdoors
Hill Bagger

Munros:6   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:1   

Postby bootsandpaddles » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:28 am

I would be very interested to know more about this as my daughter and I are planning to have a go at one of these events. How did you train for it? And, did you run a lot of the route or was it mainly walking. Your time would suggest a fair amount of running. Also any tips re kit would be useful.
bootsandpaddles

Munros:282   Corbetts:103
Donalds:7

Postby andrewcampbell57 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:33 pm

AccidentallyOutdoors wrote:Hi Andrew, sounds like an enjoyable weekend. Out of interest was it mostly running or were there walking teams on it? It's something I would like to do but seems a little intense.

Me and my Dad did it together and we walked fast uphill and then ran on the flat and downhill. There are many teams though that walk and a lot walk mostly and jog some bits. I did the shortest course which was 19km and 1500m climb on the first day and 17km and 1000m on the second.
andrewcampbell57
Munro compleatist

Postby andrewcampbell57 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:38 pm

bootsandpaddles wrote:I would be very interested to know more about this as my daughter and I are planning to have a go at one of these events. How did you train for it? And, did you run a lot of the route or was it mainly walking. Your time would suggest a fair amount of running. Also any tips re kit would be useful.

For kit we took the bare minimum with a 25 litre lightweight rucksac and a Terra Nova Laser Comp. tent (everyone uses it). We also took a Ballon Bed as a sleeping mat and a light down sleeping bag. We took lots of high calorie, low weight food, like the freeze dried meals and couscous. Hope this helps.
andrewcampbell57
Munro compleatist

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland