walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Total Solitude in the Cairngorms

Total Solitude in the Cairngorms

Postby L-Hiking » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:07 pm

Route description: Ben Macdui and Cairngorm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Macdui, Cairn Gorm

Date walked: 19/06/2012

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 18 km

Ascent: 3200m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was one of those exiting days in your lives when you think this is it!! At last I am going to be able to venture onto the Cairngorm Plateau. Don’t really know what I am getting excited about after all I am only 56 years young! :lol:

The forecast for the Cairngorms was good with 80% chance of clear Munro tops, which was in stark contrast to the weather further south where the North of England and South of Scotland were suffering flash floods.

Arrived at the Ski Centre car park at around 9.30am and there was already lots of cars here with a coach party of similar aged people wandering about with cameras after just departing the Lochs and Glens Tour Coach. Oh eck let me get going quick I am not ready to join that trip yet!

From the car park there are some steps which drop down a little in front of you and then joins a clear path which heads roughly in a westerly direction.

P1010879.JPG
Initial track from Ski centre

The day was clear and there was a clear view ahead and all around the view towards Meall a Bhuachallie was especially picturesque and depending on how my old aching legs were after today could be the objective for tomorrow.

P1010880.JPG
Meall a Beauchallie

The route is quite a steady climb where the accent is not really noticeable, but what a lovely place as we approached the Alt Coire an t Sneachda the cliffs of the same name come into view they are without doubt very impressive with snow was still lying in many of the Northern most gully’s. Now this would be a good place for all those Lochs and Glen’s cameras, much better than the visitor centre.
P1010881.JPG
Alt Coire a t Sneachda

P1010882.JPG
Looking back to Ski Centre

Further up as we climbed a young girl passed at speed and I was pretty envious of the ease and grace in which she travelled, strangely as we levelled out near Coire an Lochain she veered off the path and appeared to be looking for something, with use of her map and what looked like a GPS. I watched at a distance to see what she was doing but as I did so I felt that the young lady did not appreciate being observed so we went on our way. I wonder if this is the new craze called Geo-Caching and she was looking for buried treasure and I had missed an opportunity to find a pot of gold. Anyway after a few circles of the area she headed back down towards the Ski centre.

My walk yesterday had allowed me my first view of the mighty Breariach and this time she came into view again oh what a mountain so majestic. I am lucky to be here and there peeping alongside Breariach was Sgor an Lochain Uaine and Cairn Toul. I pointed these out to my wife Carol who looked at me and said you are kidding me NO WAY!! :crazy:

I had a laugh to myself and had to explain that that was not our objective for today, but she never believes me, as so often on reaching a peak I say lets go and knock that one off it’s only over there!! :lol:

P1010884.JPG

The temperature had dropped as we travelled and increased our elevation and indeed were met with some of that lovely midsummer hail and we sheltered behind some boulders and had a coffee taking in the views across the Lairig Ghru.

Revitalised and refreshed the snow storm now well on its way we again climbed steadily reaching a high point with the slopes of MacDui ahead in the distance. We descended and passed a small lochan which I think is close to where the disaster in 1971 happened (I think) and again climbed towards a boulder field which we negotiated with care.

P1010885.JPG
Boulder Field

Eventually reaching the summit and my second Munro of the week and again there was not a sole around it was so quite the views were stunning all around. Take your pick of the wind shelters up here there are so many and I can imagine what it must be like in school holidays..Not today though ...Just Bliss!

P1010886.JPG

P1010888.JPG

P1010889.JPG
Carol locating a wind free shelter

P1010890.JPG
Lochnager

P1010891.JPG
Cairn Gorm

I wandered away from the shelter as I wanted to glimpse the view of the River Dee and the Devils Point, I was not disappointed and again was blessed with a wonderful panorama. Oh I have to come back here but I think with my tent next time and pitch close to Courror Bothy.

P1010892.JPG
The River Dee

P1010893.JPG

P1010894.JPG
Majestic Mountains

So sadly it was time to leave and retrace our steps to Lochan Buidhe and then veer right again on a clear path towards our final objective of the day Cairn Gorm passing the impressive cliffs of Stob Coire an t Sneachda along the way It looks a long way from here :crazy:

P1010896.JPG
Cairn Gorm our objective

P1010897.JPG
Snow in Mid June

The path is clear and easy to follow however I do appreciate what a dangerous place this can be if the mist or the weather turned nasty up here so constantly taking a compass bearing just in case, as it was I didn’t need it and I think that the Highlands didn’t mind an Englishman enjoying their glory and beauty of Scotland today.

P1010898.JPG

P1010899.JPG
Beinn Mheadhoin ( I think)

P1010901.JPG
Meall a Beauchallie

The legs were tiring a little now but the final objective was in sight and a quick look with the binoculars showed that there was lots of activity up on the summit of Cairn Gorm. At this point in the day we had not seen or spoken to a single person. That was soon to change as we passed and exchanged pleasantries with many groups and individuals on the final stretch.

P1010902.JPG
Getting Closer

P1010903.JPG
Ant Like People

We reached the summit of Cairn Gorm and again the views were stunning although it was hard to take any clear shots with all the people milling around up here. I couldn’t help notice one couple inadequately dressed in jeans and flimsy tops with no fluid. Oh Dear! Not for me to remind them of the dangers and rapid change of weather conditions.

P1010904.JPG

P1010905.JPG
Cracked it!!

P1010906.JPG
Ben Rinnes

From here it was just a walk towards the cafe below on what is an excellent path way but I am not sure that it does the mountains character any favours. On entering the building we were asked to sign in which I thought strange, but now understand why after speaking to one of the waitresses in the cafe. No one is allowed out of the door onto the mountain when travelling up by the railway.

After the coffee we decide to be tourists and travelled back down the final part of the walk to the car park on the train. Tired but pleased with our efforts.
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Total Solitude in the Cairngorms

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:26 pm

Another cracker LH! The miles might be long but It looks to be worth every last one. I also like the idea of getting the train down :lol:
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby ChrisW » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:22 am

Great stuff LH, really enjoyable report and beautiful pics but I think you got something the wrong way around, surely you should go UP on the train and walk back down :wink: ....I'll bet your Mrs would agree with me :lol: That shot of a distant Ben Rinnes reminds me of the day I got to the summit of that particular corbett when the heavens opened and it lashed down all the way home....great :roll:
Glad you enjoyed the Gorms mate and happy to enjoy it with you :thumbup: :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby monty » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:48 am

Great report LH. Superb photos too. Would like some of that weather to come back :lol:
monty

Postby jonny616 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:32 am

Great pics & report. As Monty says 'please can we have our good weather back sir'? :lol: :lol: :lol:
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby SusieThePensioner » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:08 pm

Geoff, really enjoyed your report and some fantastic photos :thumbup:

L-Hiking wrote:only 56 years young!
Yes, YOUNG :lol: :lol:

Great idea going back on the train :D
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby malky_c » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:26 pm

Glad you got good weather for your first venture onto the plateau :)

The views down to Cairn Toul and Braeriach from Ben Macdui are good enough to have you planning a return I'm sure.

I'm lucky in that when I'm at home, it's just about possible to squeeze in this route after work on a summer's evening 8)
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby L-Hiking » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:40 pm

johnkaysleftleg wrote: I also like the idea of getting the train down

Cheers JK
I have to thank the Mrs for that idea :)

ChrisW wrote:Great stuff LH, really enjoyable report and beautiful pics but I think you got something the wrong way around, surely you should go UP on the train and walk back down

Ha ha, your'e probably right Chris, but coming from York the Grand Old Duke said When you were up you were down :crazy: You know the rest :lol:

monty wrote:Great report LH. Superb photos too. Would like some of that weather to come back :lol:

jonny616 wrote:Great pics & report. As Monty says 'please can we have our good weather back sir'? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers Guys, I have ordered good weather for August when I am next having a wander up here :)

L-Hiking wrote::only 56 years young!

SusieThePensioner wrote:Yes, YOUNG

Luv you too Susie :wink: :wink:

malky_c wrote:The views down to Cairn Toul and Braeriach from Ben Macdui are good enough to have you planning a return I'm sure.I'm lucky in that when I'm at home, it's just about possible to squeeze in this route after work on a summer's evening

Thanks Malky, yes you are quite right well and truly smitten :)
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Postby simon-b » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:03 pm

That was a great day, LH. Well done with those views!

My first Munros were those two, with the same route, on 20/6/11! I got mist on the summits, though.

On 19/6/12? I might have seen you with a powerful telescope!...

P6190063.JPG

Thanks for a cracking report and some excellent pictures. And you picked a fine day during a period of very mixed weather in the East Highlands.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby morag1 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:13 am

Loved this report :D Something really special about the cairngorms as your photos show

Lucky you getting some nice weather and great views 8)

I think the mountain railway is a lot of fun although some people dont like it.
morag1

Postby Johnny Corbett » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:51 am

Great stuff and super weather to be in the Cairngorms. The photo you think is Beinn Mheadhoin is correct and it is well worth a visit as it's a beautiful walk to the Loch once over Cairngorm and when you get there you have the Tors to play about on if you have any energy left :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby L-Hiking » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:07 pm

simon-b wrote:On 19/6/12? I might have seen you with a powerful telescope!...

Cheers Simon a great day out

Im waving back at you :wave: :wave:

morag1 wrote:
Loved this report Something really special about the cairngorms as your photos show

Thanks Morag, I was lucky with the weather

Johnny Corbett wrote:The photo you think is Beinn Mheadhoin is correct and it is well worth a visit as it's a beautiful walk to the Loch once over Cairngorm and when you get there you have the Tors to play about on if you have any energy left

Cheers Johnny I appreciate the confirmation of Beinn Mheahoin
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Postby Gavin99 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:05 pm

Lovely report and photos, looks like a day to remember , a wonderful place 8)
Gavin99
Mountaineer

Munros:280   Corbetts:134
Fionas:78   Donalds:70
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:16   
Walk wish-list

Postby L-Hiking » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:43 pm

Gavin99 wrote:Lovely report and photos, looks like a day to remember , a wonderful place 8)

Cheers Gav,
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland