walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Boggy route in the rain :)

Boggy route in the rain :)

Postby fipriestley » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:52 pm

Route description: Meall Glas and Sgiath Chuil from Glen Dochart

Munros included on this walk: Meall Glas, Sgiath Chùil

Date walked: 07/07/2012

Time taken: 7 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Lots of rainfall recently and the forecast was for more rain, but this only affects my preparation rather than where/whether I go - never been put off by the weather yet (touching wood!) :D Firstly thought to do these 2 Munros from Glen Lochay but changed plans to go from the south, thinking to make a loop to add in Beinn nan Imirean.

From the start the tops were clear and Auchessan farm found to be friendly and helpful
SDC15160.JPG
Sgiath Chuill from Auchessan
SDC15161.JPG
footprints along the fence mark the way
We reached the bridge to make the left turn following the river and briefly chatted to the workmen there - the river had flooded the area just a week ago and they were starting on the repairs. They warned there was a chance the path had been washed out further up but that wasn't the case. Plenty signs of the damage though, including the decomposing body of a lamb on the path :(
SDC15162.JPG
looking back - river had pushed debris up to the fence
SDC15163.JPG
fence knocked down in flood
Further on, there was still evidence of how high the water had risen.
SDC15168.JPG
crossing at the dam to head to Sgiath Chuil

From here on the rain came on, lightly at first then heavier as the tops were in cloud. The route from the dam to the first summit is pathless but wasn't too boggy (feet stayed fairly dry as I managed to jump across the worst bits).
SDC15175.JPG
route to Sgiath Chuil summit
SDC15177.JPG
Sgiath Chuil summit view :D

Quite a drop down from here and we missed out the WH marked gentle ascent of Beinn Cheathaich in favour of a more direct (but steeper!) route to get to the top of Coire nam Moine.
SDC15179.JPG
heading for Meall Glas

Crossing the flat between the 2 Munros was more boggy and feet were getting wetter. By the time we reached Meall Glas summit, we decided to just loop back to the farm. 2 steep pathless ascents in the rain was enough for one day :lol:
SDC15183.JPG
looking back - Meall Glas still in cloud

As we came down the ground was much boggier than the up route... or maybe it just seemed like that as my feet were soaked through by now. This meant I moved right down the gazellephant scale, no longer feeling the need to stay on drier patches :lol: Plenty of frogs about today, some showing off how high they can jump! :D
Last edited by fipriestley on Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fipriestley
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:77
Fionas:7   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:3   

Re: Boggy route in the rain :)

Postby pollyh33 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:52 am

Well done Fi for going out despite the weather :clap:

I was lucky enough to do these two ( and two tops) in smashing weather but I did them from Glen Lochay and still found them quite hard work!!!

As for ploughing right through the boggy wet bits on the walk back, I think everyone does that!!! Too tired to be bothered keeping clean at this point!!! :lol: :lol:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby ChrisW » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:01 am

Great effort on a pretty miserable day Fi, love that shot 'heading for Meall Glas' with the cloud loitering ahead, beautiful :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby morag1 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:14 pm

Shame about the rain and the bog but well done on getting out there and enjoying yourself all the same :clap:
morag1

Postby jonny616 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:20 pm

Well done Fi. Don't see so many reports from this side. I wonder why :lol: :clap:
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby pigeon » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:48 pm

Aye it's a boggy area Fi,done these 2 from Glen Lochay end,you probably would have had to wade the stream from that side so either way you would have had wet feet :( Here's hoping things dry out soon :roll:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:130
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby fipriestley » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:54 pm

Thanks all! :) I might just go from the Glen Lochay side when I go back for the corbett at some point... :lol:

pigeon wrote:Here's hoping things dry out soon :roll:

I really don't mind the weather [quickly ducks as I know everyone's shouting for a better summer!] Love that every outing's different - sometimes with views, sometimes with challenges, but always enjoy them. Bring on the weekend! :lol: :lol:
fipriestley
Walker

Postby mrssanta » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:04 pm

it's clear you got the munro bug very badly, Fi, if you really don't mind the weather.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby fipriestley » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:43 pm

mrssanta wrote:it's clear you got the munro bug very badly, Fi, if you really don't mind the weather.

Definitely MrsS! Can't remember what I used to do with all my time :lol: Still only missed 1 week of being out in hills since I started last Sept - not all for munros though :D
fipriestley
Walker

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland