walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Fhada with Father

Fhada with Father

Postby basscadet » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:37 pm

Route description: Beinn Fhada, from Morvich

Munros included on this walk: A' Ghlas-bheinn, Beinn Fhada

Date walked: 07/07/2012

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 23.82 km

Ascent: 1759m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Fhada.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

So this weekend was a real treat, because my dad was coming out to play :D Our schedules rarely seem to match up, and he seems to repeat the phrase "I canny do these long days in the hill anymore" all too frequently.. He did have Lymes disease recenty, so I tried not to be too hard on him :problem:
We spent friday night in the van, halfway down Loch Cluanie, and after a leisurely start, we drove up to Kintail Outdoor centre in Morvich. We must of set off about 10am - no need for an early start with light on our side.
The weather wasn't superb - plenty of mist about higher up, but not actually raining, so thats the best I have seen for ages :)
The route took us over a private bridge, past a couple of houses, then a path was clearly marked to the Falls of Glomach. Dad felt it prudent to remind me of a much loved family dug, who met his end at the falls of glomach :( But it was hard to stay down in such bonny, lush surroundings. The path was excellent - couldn't of been better. There were quite a few of these dragonflies about - really big ones :D

GEDC1272.JPG

There was soon an indestinct fork in the path, we kept right, and soon found ourselves up on the hillside above a steep gorge. Steady progress was made in the fine conditions, and we soon made it up to the head of the glen, where there was a bonny waterfall, and some comfy-ish rocks to park up on while we took in the sights.

GEDC1275.JPG

The path climbed up the head of the glen, and up to another junction where we took a right again, up toward Beinn Fhada.

GEDC1277.JPG
Dad surveys Glen Choinneachain

The path remained good, and every corner held new delights to feast the eyes, until at about 600m, we hit the mists, which were cold, damp and got thicker and thicker.. Fortunately, there is plenty to see that isnt the views at this time of year as all the wee alpine flowers are out. I knew my dad knows all the names of the ones I'm not sure of, so I took the opportunity to grill him! The path was very easy going, hardly felt like ascending at all. Dad moaned that the path was too good "wouldn't of been like this 40 years ago" Dont look a gift horse in the mouth is my philosophy :lol:
We eventually decided that the path wasn't going quite the right direction for the summit, so when a wee baggers path appeared on our left, we took it. There was only a wee bit of steepness, before flatter ground was gained, although it must of been a good half mile or more to the summit on ground that was sometimes rocky, sometimes boggy. I lost my GPS at one point, so had to go back for it.. Oh what a silly billy I am!
Anyway the top was reached, in thick clag.. I was a little bit disappointed - I wanted to go out along the ridge and see the fine tors and corries, but it wasn't worth it in the clag, so a trip for another day :(

GEDC1282.JPG

There was an alright shelter at the summit, so we ate and chatted to a group of three guys that had followed us up before making our descent. I was still full of beans, as it really was a very easy bag imo, but my dad had really bad bother with his dodgy knee on the way down. I had hoped to do A Ghlas Bhein as well, so back down at the path junction we talked about it and Dad said I would have to do it by myself.. I was off like a rocket, not wanting him to have to spend too much time waiting for me.. I only then realised it was after 3 already, and I thought it would take me 3 hours to get up there and back to the car.

GEDC1287.JPG
View from bealach an sgairne

I ran up a gully toward Bealach an sgairne, and arrived hot and sweaty before realising I'd have to calm down a bit or I'd nae doubt do myself a mischief :D There was a big cairn in the bealach marking the start of a rather steep eroded path, but after the initial wee bit, the path improved and I seemed to gain height quite quickly. It is a lovely lumpy, rocky ridge, with scrambly bits and undulations a plenty. I managed to make the cairn only an hour after leaving Dad - On schedule for once :) There was a memorial plaque at the cairn - they seem to be getting a bit too common those - and I sat there for a few minutes enjoying the deafening silence until a raven came and spoiled it.

GEDC1290.JPG
View from A Ghlas Bheinn summit

I retraced my steps along the ridge for a time, then at a low point I cut off westward, in the hope of cutting some time, and giving a bit of variation. It was quite steep that way, and it was tricky to avoid all the crags in the mist, but i would definately recommend that descent to anyone who still has sound knees. It was great to get down below the clag again, and I spotted that the couple I had met at bealach an sgairne, had only just made it parralel with me across the glen, so I felt i had made good time, even though the steepness had made me slower than I would of liked.
The track through the trees on the north side of the glen was blatantly obvious - there is even a really good wooden bridge there to help you on your way.. The track was a goodie as well - lovely moss to cushion the feet and the heady aroma of bracken and pine to fill up your senses.
The track goes round in an unecessarily large loop before crossing the Abhainn Chonaig, where it was time to turn off and stick to the river until another footbridge is reached where you can recross - quite a bit of faff! The rain had come on by this point, so I tried to trot fairly quickly back to the car, where my dad said he expected me to be another hour.. so didn't need to rush after all!
Almost a perfect day if it hadn't been for a wee bit clag.. :thumbup:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Re: Fhada with Father

Postby mrssanta » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:45 pm

great to get out with your dad.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby PeteR » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:47 pm

Nice report basscadet. Fhada is one of my favourite days on the hills so far. Pity you got the clag and rain, as the views to the Sisters and Brothers and into Glen Affric are superb. You'll just have to go back another day when the sun is shining :D About 2015 then :lol:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby laconic surf » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:11 am

Lovely report. Shame about the clag but pretty unavoidable for the moment :(
That's you inching closer to the 150 :D
Oh, and as I noticed when I logged on this morning, Happy Birthday :wink:
laconic surf
Munro compleatist

Munros:100   Corbetts:1
Fionas:6   Donalds:19
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:2

Postby basscadet » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:29 am

Aye next hill will be my halfway hill.. Seems just a couple of months since I hit 100.. :crazy:

Thanks for the birthday wishes.. :D
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Postby morag1 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:13 pm

Nice to get out with your dad like that 8)

Happy birthday, hope you celebrate by bagging yet another Munro :thumbup:
morag1

Postby rockhopper » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:47 pm

Enjoyed that - pity about the weather though..... :roll: Had hoped to get up here for a few days this weekend but have put it on hold again due to the weather forecast....maybe 2013 will be better :lol: - cheers :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby basscadet » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:56 pm

Oh thanks for all your kind comments and birthday wishes :oops:

I thought the weather might be alright in places this weekend.. Not sure where I'll be walking, but I'll be walking somewhere :D
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Postby soulminer » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:09 pm

It is a fine mountain, even when the weather is not as nice as it could be :lol: A belated happy Birthday 8)
soulminer

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland