walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Nemesis conquered

Nemesis conquered

Postby MarilynMunro » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:30 pm

Munros included on this walk: Stùc a' Chròin

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Each

Date walked: 05/07/2012

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 22 km

Ascent: 1054m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Third time lucky to chalk off Stuc A Chroin.
Last year along with my son I bailed out of scrambling up from Ben Vorlich in slippy conditions, and in March this year when we thought the thaw had got rid of the snow we again tried it from Ardchullarie, Loch Lubnaig via Beinn Each.
Everything had looked rosy from the roadside and the tops we could see opposite appeared clear of snow, but as we got near the summit of Beinn Each enroute to SaC, the conditions underfoot started to deteriorate, slushy slippy one minute then hard packed and slippy the next, and as we didnt have any gear or experience of these conditions and they would only get worse the higher we got, we again bailed out and went for a wee jaunt up Glen Ample.
So Thursday 5th would be third time lucky, and this time on my own, so guess what............... it appears my son is a jinx.
I was looking for a solo walk and some time on my own, and that was exactly what I got. I intended following a route I got from another site which shall remain nameless, which would entail parking up at Ardchullarie, heading for Beinn Each then onto SaC, then track NE to Meall Odhar and drop down to Gleann a' Chroin and walk out through the glen towards Arivurichardich, then Braeleny and Callander.
The walk upto the corbett summit and onto the munro are well covered on this site, but I ll mention that the path at the start just beyond the big shed is obstructed and hidden by an uprooted tree, but is easily bypassed.
The weather forecast was pretty dismal, low cloud and thunderstorms.
I had left my camera in the car and I was using my iphone with the viewranger app, so didn't take any phots (when the visibility was good) as I was unsure how long the battery would last.
As it was the last hundred or so metres to the summit of Beinn Each were shrouded in thick cloud and I got a little wary at this stage, hopefully my nav skills would hold up.
I did spend a little time fretting if I was making the right choice, but decided to push on for Stuc A' Chroin. The cloud never lifted all the time I was on the summit which made for an interesting time .
This was when I decided against heading for Meall Odhar, given the visibilty, and decided to head back to Beinn Each and head down to the glen floor from there
As much as I was enjoying myself, the views were non existent, which put a bummer on the fact I had actually got to the summit of my "nemesis".
The drop down east to the glen floor was VERY interesting, loads of bum sliding and cagey, wary descending. About half way down I came out of the cloud into the most glorious weather and views of a glen I would have thought few people have walked in.
There is no path to speak of through the glen, just pretty, heavy going, all that tufty stuff designed to put you on yer erchie time and again, but the views and the weather more than made up for it. From just after the small reservoir the road is over landrover tracks and then tarmac road into Callender via Braeleny and past the Bracklinn Falls.
Update - Heads up, bridge shown at 64247 12994 doesnt exist anymore!!!,

A long day, with crap weather on the tops more than compensated for with the walk out.
My plan was to get the bus back to my car, but after a hard day at the office I splashed out on a taxi, but not before the one thing that had kept me going for the last few km's, a haddock supper from Mhor Fish, the lads in that plaice deserve medals. :lol:
Cracking day out, and hopefully more to come
Last edited by MarilynMunro on Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
MarilynMunro
Mountaineer

Munros:43   Corbetts:3
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:4   

Re: Nemesis conquered

Postby pollyh33 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:46 am

Well done MM, the pup is a jinx after all!!! :lol: :lol:

I had to leave Stuc for another day too and had quite fancied this route rather than going via Ben Vorlich again :(

Having read your report it doesn't seem to be an easier option. :? :? If anyone can end up on their bahookie during a walk its me!!! Hope those grass stains come out your pretty frock!!
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby MarilynMunro » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:11 am

pollyh33 wrote:Well done MM, the pup is a jinx after all!!! :lol: :lol:

I had to leave Stuc for another day too and had quite fancied this route rather than going via Ben Vorlich again :(

Having read your report it doesn't seem to be an easier option. :? :? If anyone can end up on their bahookie during a walk its me!!! Hope those grass stains come out your pretty frock!!

Cheers Polly
Its a nice walk, I d say its a better approach than Ben Vorlich which was a bit of a slog if I remember right, and the walk around to Meall Odhar would have been nice in better conditions, it looked braw from the glen. Here's hoping you get decent weather when you get round to it.
Gonna try and edit my TR but bridge shown at 64247 12994 doesnt exist anymore!!!, bit of wading which I know you love ha ha

Does Graingers work on taffeta? :lol: :lol:
MarilynMunro
Mountaineer

Postby SusieThePensioner » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:53 pm

Glad you were successful, Jim, not only reaching the summit at the third time of asking but, also, your navigational skills held up :thumbup:
Shame there weren't any photos :(
MarilynMunro wrote:a haddock supper from Mhor Fish
Great chippie if it's the one in Callander :lol:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby jonny616 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:59 pm

Well done on beating your nemesis. I sympathize, whilst i don't see it as my nemesis i have failed to climb Beinn Each on three occasions & never made it yet. :lol: :lol:
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby Fudgie » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:01 pm

Well done on doing it but I think you missed out by not scrambling up the front :wink:

Seriously though, I've had my eye on that Corbett for a while so I'll hopefully head out there soon to follow in your footsteps. Hope I get better weather though :D
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby morag1 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:10 pm

Well done :clap:
morag1

Postby SusieThePensioner » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:26 am

MarilynMunro wrote:I was looking for a solo walk and some time on my own, and that was exactly what I got.

Solitude and solace are often good for the soul :)
I wish I could do that :(
SusieThePensioner

Postby MarilynMunro » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:14 am

SusieThePensioner wrote:Glad you were successful, Jim, not only reaching the summit at the third time of asking but, also, your navigational skills held up :thumbup:
Shame there weren't any photos :(
MarilynMunro wrote:a haddock supper from Mhor Fish
Great chippie if it's the one in Callander :lol:

Thank you, Sue, sorry no phots, they wouldn't have been upto much anyway. And it was the one in Callender

jonny616 wrote:Well done on beating your nemesis. I sympathize, whilst i don't see it as my nemesis i have failed to climb Beinn Each on three occasions & never made it yet. :lol: :lol:

Thanks, Jonny, fourth time lucky for you :lol: :lol:

Fudgie wrote:Well done on doing it but I think you missed out by not scrambling up the front :wink:

Seriously though, I've had my eye on that Corbett for a while so I'll hopefully head out there soon to follow in your footsteps. Hope I get better weather though :D

Cheers Fudgie, if it wasn't for the slog to Vorlich again I might have tried it, but then again maybe not in those conditions.
Hope you have a fine old time when you get there.

morag1 wrote:Well done :clap:

Thank you, Morag

SusieThePensioner wrote:
MarilynMunro wrote:I was looking for a solo walk and some time on my own, and that was exactly what I got.

Solitude and solace are often good for the soul :)
I wish I could do that :(

Hopefully
MarilynMunro
Mountaineer

Postby SusieThePensioner » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:42 pm

MarilynMunro wrote:sorry no phots, they wouldn't have been upto much anyway

They would have been a reflection of your day out; doesn't matter if its rain, cloud or sun.

MarilynMunro wrote:Hopefully
Don't think so :(
SusieThePensioner

Postby Graeme D » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:06 pm

Interesting. I did Vorlich and SaC a few years back via the trade route from Ardvorlich but had no camera so could not "document" the trip. Similarly when I did Beinn Each some time later. I'd always fancied doing Each and SaC again as a pair and redoing Vorlich tagging it on with the neighbouring Meall na Fearna. So this TR should provide useful info for the former! Cheers! :D
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Alan S » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:24 pm

Well done ,It took me 3 attempts to get these 3 done :D
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby MarilynMunro » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:57 am

Graeme D wrote:Interesting. I did Vorlich and SaC a few years back via the trade route from Ardvorlich but had no camera so could not "document" the trip. Similarly when I did Beinn Each some time later. I'd always fancied doing Each and SaC again as a pair and redoing Vorlich tagging it on with the neighbouring Meall na Fearna. So this TR should provide useful info for the former! Cheers! :D

Cheers, Graeme do you mean doing all four at once, that sounds interesting and tiring :lol: :lol:

Alan S wrote:Well done ,It took me 3 attempts to get these 3 done :D

Alan S, thanks, dunno what it is about these hills but they seem to take a bit of determination, but still daydreaming about the long walk out through the glen to Callander in great weather...bliss
MarilynMunro
Mountaineer

Postby Graeme D » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:10 pm

MarilynMunro wrote:Cheers, Graeme do you mean doing all four at once, that sounds interesting and tiring

Yeah, that possibility had crossed my mind but I'll probably end up making it two separate trips.
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland