walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Reasons to be cheerful

Reasons to be cheerful

Postby jonny616 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:54 pm

Route description: Stob Coire Easain and Stob a'Choire Mheadhoin

Munros included on this walk: Stob a' Choire Mheadhoin, Stob Coire Easain

Date walked: 07/07/2012

Time taken: 7.5 hours

Distance: 16 km

Ascent: 1223m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A fairly small group today due to holidays, better plans for later, lack of hill credits & reading the weather forecast. :lol:
My friend Glen who had not been on the hills for 18 months due to loss of mojo, Campbell (meatball) who I walked with in Kintail & Alice (savagealice), whom I had never walked with & madly agreed to join 3 complete strangers in the middle of nowhere. :roll:
A fairly uneventful drive up leaving the rain of Glasgow for the rain of loch Lomond, then Orchy, then Glencoe, then Fort William & finally arriving at Fersit where it was not raining. Yeeha! :clap:
For ease of parking I had suggested that we meet at the road end & also I knew from a previous visit that there was a path taking you up onto the ridge.
We took the small path from the side of the parking area which immediately drops down onto a small boggy area, which was pleasant as we have had so little rain lately. As we crossed my history with bogs was mentioned to which Alice exclaimed ‘oh was that you’, but to her credit she did not run away. We climbed a bank into some trees & then came to an old railway track that seemed to go over a stream with a rather nasty looking barbed wire fence, so whilst I studied this to work out the best way over Campbell suggested we go under the thing were the fence was flattened. Dooh
We then followed a faint path that emerged on the side of the ridge & we decided to carry on along as there seemed to be a drop before the ascent of Meall Clan Dearg. After a while we came upon a path that is currently a stream. We followed this & it took us to the lower of the two hydro trigs.
By this point the rain was on & we were all fully waterproofed up & facing the steep ascent of MCD. The path up is pretty good, eroded in parts but not too bad. We were also doing well ticking of all the things that helped Glen lose his mojo, pathless terrain, boggy shite, rain & steep ascent. The other thing, spending most of the day in the clag was fast approaching. :shock:
Once up about the 800 meter mark the ridge levels out & broadens. We looked for a relatively sheltered spot to have a bite to eat. At this point Alice was explaining that she had walked with a guy who was studying botany as part of an outdoor course & started naming some of the flora around about starting with ‘lady’s mantle’. You can imagine how the conversation went from there.
Onwards & upwards to the first Munro of the day Stob a’Choire Mheadhoin which also happened to be my 142nd. Half way around. It felt good even though we could see heehaw & it was pishing down.
Quick photos & off we went, its only about a 10 min drop until the low point before Stob Coire Easain where we left our packs (including my GPS so my track is short) & headed up to the summit. The top is quite small with the cairn fairly close to the edge & I’m sure its impressive if you can see.
As Johnny Corbett put it so beautifully a while back, up stob, doon stob, up stob, doon stob & up stob again! 8)
On our way back the rain eased off so we stopped for another bite to eat & as soon as we did the rain came on again.
We came out of the clag on the decent of MCD & the views inevitable started to open up, but the clag just clinging to the last 50 meters of the munro on the other side of Loch Treig.
From the hydro trig we took two slightly different routes Campbell taking a line straight ish to the track above the Loch & the rest of us taking a more diagonal line to the same track a bit further along where we all met up again, before which I had a close encounter with a deep marshy pool. Just the one leg I’m pleased to say. :lol: :lol:
A case of I’m sure this is a lovely walk if you can see, but a good day out with good folk.
Combination of photos from Campbell & I, my lens got damp so some of the pics look worse than it actually was. Honest gov!
008 (1280x960).jpg
Looking back to the car
009 (960x1280).jpg
Hydro trig & Meall Clan Dearg
010 (1280x960).jpg
nearly in the clag
011 (1280x960).jpg
Stob a Choire Mheadhoin
016 (1280x960).jpg
Stob Coire Easain
022 (1280x960).jpg
Descending Meall Clan Dearg
Campbell1.jpg
The Borrowers
Campbell2.jpg
Laggan Hills
Campbell3.jpg
The higher of the two Hydro Trigs
Campbell6.jpg
Stob Coire Sgriondain
Campell5.jpg
A better looking day now!
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Re: Reasons to be cheerful

Postby Meatball » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:28 am

Good report mate!
I'm glad you didn't let me woose out as it was a good day with cracking banter!
Enjoy your break!
See you AND Glen when you're back!
Meatball

Munros:63   Corbetts:50
Fionas:8   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   

Postby ChrisW » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:32 am

Great read Jonny, really enjoyable. Even I'm becoming frustrated with the damn weather over there and I'm only reading about it :roll: it's great to see you guys getting out there and genuinely enjoying a day out irrespective but man, you really do need some sunshine now. Congrats on passing the halfway point....its all downhill from here :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby morag1 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:48 am

Nothing holds you back Johnny, not even the Scottish weather :clap:
morag1

Postby Jock McJock » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:57 am

Nice one Jonny, bit damp looking though :lol: Well done hitting the halfway point mate :clap:
Jock McJock
Mountain Walker

Munros:173   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby mrssanta » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:48 am

sometimes you've just gotta go out in it or you would go mad. having good banter and friends is obviously the way to do it.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby PeteR » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:20 pm

Well done on getting to the half way point :clap: I'd agree that being out in the hills, even in the rain, is better than being stuck in doors (I find DIY chores can get mentioned if I hang around too much :lol: )

These are two great hills and its a pity you didn't get the views - they are well worth it. You'll just have to go back and do them again when the sun does eventually shine again :lol:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby Fudgie » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:52 pm

These were my 2nd and 3rd Munro's away back in 1997 and they'll always be special to me as it is my favourite day on the hills so far. Just a pity you didn't have anything to see but that just gives you an excuse to go back :wink:
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby rockhopper » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:56 pm

jonny616 wrote:A case of I’m sure this is a lovely walk if you can see, but a good day out with good folk.
Yup - I'd agree with that - pity about the weather as there are some great views but looks like your companions more than made up for it :thumbup: Congrats on passing halfway....not long to go now 8) ...cheers :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby SusieThePensioner » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:19 pm

I'm sure it was great to be out walking, Jonny, enjoyed the report and the photos just show what the weather was like :lol:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby robertphillips » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:23 pm

Good effort on a horrible day. 8)
robertphillips
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:423   Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   Islands:39

Postby jonny616 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:21 pm

Meatball wrote:Good report mate!
I'm glad you didn't let me woose out as it was a good day with cracking banter!
Enjoy your break!
See you AND Glen when you're back!

Too right. I bet you woosed yesterday though. :lol: :lol:
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Postby jonny616 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:23 pm

ChrisW wrote:Great read Jonny, really enjoyable. Even I'm becoming frustrated with the damn weather over there and I'm only reading about it :roll: it's great to see you guys getting out there and genuinely enjoying a day out irrespective but man, you really do need some sunshine now. Congrats on passing the halfway point....its all downhill from here :lol:

Cheers Chris
I'm off to chamonix for 2 weeks to escape this weather, but it's the same there :roll: :roll: :roll:
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Postby jonny616 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:24 pm

morag1 wrote:Nothing holds you back Johnny, not even the Scottish weather :clap:

When you gotta go you gotta go :lol:
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Postby jonny616 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:28 pm

Jock McJock wrote:Nice one Jonny, bit damp looking though :lol: Well done hitting the halfway point mate :clap:

Cheers Mark. Hurry up & sort your knee. You were missed 8)
jonny616
Munro compleatist

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland