walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A tour around Corrour: Rannoch Station to Loch Ossian

A tour around Corrour: Rannoch Station to Loch Ossian

Postby pacol » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:49 pm

Munros included on this walk: Càrn Dearg (Corrour)

Date walked: 18/06/2012

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 17.5 km

Ascent: 742m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Day 1 of my 5 day annual backpacking trip to Scotland, with year's entitled 'A tour around Corrour' - and before any one points out it doesn't rhyme - I know - but it does have a certain style about it when written.

For those interested in the full route which is documented in five individual postings the days are:

Day 1 : Rannoch Station to Loch Ossian via Carn Dearg
Day 2 : Loch Ossian to Corrour via Chno Dearg
Day 3 : Corrour to Loch Chiarain (Blackwater) via Beinn na Lap
Day 4 : Loch Chiarain to Kinlochleven
Day 5 : Kinlochleven to Fort William via the WHW

Day 1

Thought for the day - where did all the rain go?

Having watched the weather forecast the preceding week showing a major low passing through the Western Highlands I was mentally prepared for a wet and cold week wandering around the glens of Rannoch and Corrour, so imagine my surprise when waking up on the Monday morning and seeing this view out of the window of the train.

P6180008 (1280x960).jpg
Arrochar Alps from the WH Sleeper

Clear blue sky and sunshine was the last thing I was expecting. The train arrived at Rannoch Station on time and once off and sorted I set off for down the road towards Kinloch Rannoch and picked up the Road to the Isles after a couple of miles. The route for the day was -

2012_Corrour_act_abr_D1_RannochStn_LochOssian18k.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Cloud was building up but still plenty of sunshine making for a grand day as I headed up on to the ridge at Sron Leachd a Chaorainn.

P6180011 (1280x960).jpg
South west from the slopes of Sron Leachd a Chaorainn

P6180017 (1280x960).jpg
Looking to the Ben from Sron Leachd a Chaorainn

Once on the ridge it was a steady ascent slowing climbing up to the high point of Carn Dearg.

P6180020 (1280x960).jpg
Sron Leachd a Chaorainn ridge to Carn Dearg

Once on top I had excellent views in all directions.

P6180023 (1280x960).jpg
Carn Dearg looking to the Mamores

P6180027 (1280x960).jpg
Carn Dearg summit

At this point I met the first person I had seen since leaving Rannoch Station - a Munroist busy bagging the three Corrour Munros in a day. I was hoping to do three in three days, but then I take my time...

The descent down to Loch Ossian was a case of working my way over the rough ground although on reflection I think I went too far north before starting to head west.

I was spending the night at the Loch Ossian Youth Hostel - an excellent place - an booked when I thought it was going to be bad weather. My plan had been for at least one dry night...

P6180032 (1280x960).jpg
Carn Dearg loooking to Loch Ossian

As it was, it was a lovely evening made even better by the pleasant company to be had at Loch Ossian.

P6180034 (1280x960).jpg
Loch Ossian

Writing this in July, in the midst of incessant rain, I'm not quite sure how I managed to hit such a good spell but it made for an excellent tour.

Cheers,
Paul.

If you are interested to read more, Day 2 can be found here.
pacol
Scrambler

Munros:15   Corbetts:4
Hewitts:21
Wainwrights:20   

Re: A tour around Corrour: Rannoch Station to Loch Ossian

Postby LeithySuburbs » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:34 pm

You get a great view of Ben Nevis from this area :) .

pacol wrote: 'A tour around Corrour' - and before any one points out it doesn't rhyme - I know

- dunno what you are talking about ;) .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Re: A tour around Corrour: Rannoch Station to Loch Ossian

Postby pacol » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:29 pm

I have always said Corrour to rhyme with tower (corr-our), rather than tour (Corr-or).

Being a sassenach I'm always happy to be corrected on points of Gaelic pronunceation.

P.
pacol
Scrambler

Munros:15   Corbetts:4
Hewitts:21
Wainwrights:20   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland