walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Grey Corries Plus

Grey Corries Plus

Postby benno » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:08 pm

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr Chòinnich Mòr, Stob Bàn (Grey Corries), Stob Choire Claurigh, Stob Coire an Laoigh

Corbetts included on this walk: Cruach Innse, Sgùrr Innse

Date walked: 12/07/2012

Time taken: 10.5 hours

Distance: 25 km

Ascent: 2600m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A big walk, part of preparing for another big walk

The weather forecast has been so dire the last few weeks that Joe and I decided to make the most of the best forecast of a bad bunch - admittedly we were pretty sceptical of our chances of having any views or dry rocks to clamber over, and whether either of us was fit enough to complete the challenge we had set, but neither of us told each other about these doubts until much later. In contrast to our expectations, we were never in the cloud, never got rained on, and my hands have what could be described as mild sunburn! We also completed the route:

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Yes a biggy, especially considering neither of us has been able to get out in a long time - my last munro was in October 2011!

Setting off at 8.30 we followed the old tramway, very boggy in places, with views of Aonach Mor gradually opening up as we continued.

An old tram bridge

Aonach Mor

When the tramway joined another track, we turned uphill towards the dam, crossing the river just above the dam and heading up the hillside to join the ridge.

River crossing

Looking back to the Dam

Arriving on the ridge, the views towards the Aonachs opened up even more, with Ben Nevis eventually coming into view as we ascended to Stob Coire Easain to join the main Grey Corries ridge.

Aonachs and Ben Nevis

Looking along the Grey Corries Ridge

Our first Summit

Arriving at the first summit we had panoramic views, couldn't see a single summit in cloud - a vast improvement on the 30% chance of cloud-free munros given by MWIS!

We retraced our steps to Stob Coire Easian and followed the ridge round to the second munro, Stob Coire an Laoigh, before following the ridge along and up the massive Stob Choire Claurigh. It was at this point we got our first view of what I might call the 'coolest' hill of the day, Sgurr Innse.

Along the ridge towards Claurigh

Sgurr Innse on the left

Stob Ban looking small and insignificant

We descended steeply before ascending up unstable scree slopes to Stob Ban, our fourth and final munro of the day.

The screes of Stob Ban

Sgurr Innse from Stob Ban

After a quick descent to the bothy, we headed up towards the crags of Sgurr Innse, legs beginning to feel a wee bit tired. We traversed around the foot of the crags to meet the main ridge, and clambered up over the rocks onto the summit of Sgurr Innse.

Joe and Sgurr Innse from the bothy

Stob Ban from Sgurr Innse

Cruach Innse, our next and final objective

We descended to the bealach below Cruach Innse, and now with knackered legs climbed up our final ascent onto the summit of Cruach Innse, before heading down the steep NW slopes to the bothy track and back to the car. Passing Fort William we picked up a well earned Fish Supper: job done!

Descent to the track
Last edited by benno on Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
benno

Munros:282   Corbetts:35
Fionas:16   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:29   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:9   

Re: Grey Corries Plus

Postby Paula Hubens » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:29 pm

Now that's a good walk! Just yesterday I was peering over my maps to see whether this route (leaving out the Corbetts) would be doable. Have got it planned for next year. So a handy report for me, thank you.
I love the pics, the ridges look great. Well done on a big day out. Good luck with your epic stravaig!
Paula Hubens

Re: Grey Corries Plus

Postby Alan S » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:42 pm

Well done Benno thats some effort :D
I done the munros yesterday and that was tough enough without the corbetts.
Agree with you on Sgurr Innse it is a cracking looking hill 8)
Well done for doing it the way you did I wouldnt fancy ascending that way, but maybe its because I was so done in at that point :D
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland