walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Friday the 13th on the Grey Corries

Friday the 13th on the Grey Corries

Postby Alan S » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:04 pm

Route description: The Grey Corries

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr Chòinnich Mòr, Stob Bàn (Grey Corries), Stob Choire Claurigh, Stob Coire an Laoigh

Date walked: 13/07/2012

Time taken: 9.3 hours

Distance: 24 km

Ascent: 1800m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I had a few holidays to take due to extra hours at work so decided to plan a big walk for our upcoming trip to fisherfield in august,I knew Gammy was walking on saturday with Bod and val for a wee stroll in Glen Shiel :wink: so knew that he was out but JB had already said he was due some time off so we arranged for an early start to make the most of a big day.
James picked me up at 5:30am and we headed off up the A9, he decided to take his mums car as It needed a decent run as it never drives any further than the local shop, Not the best of ideas as this turned out to be the start of a day that didnt go to plan, About 10 miles from spean bridge the engine management light came on and the car started struggling, what do we do turn back ? we both decided as we were so close that we would go and do the walk and hopefully the problem would go away by the time we returned (we both knew this wouldnt happen but try and stop us walking) :lol: .
After our small delay we never set off until 9am,we parked at the end of the track from corriechollie and head off still in good spirits as the weather was perfect for walking
DSC00623.JPG
A strange looking figure which im told brings good luck to walkers....next to the wee minister

It was a good warm up heading up the track from here which heads to the bothy with the local corbetts Cruach Innse and Sgurr Innse being the pick of the views
DSC00624.JPG
DSC00625.JPG
DSC00627.JPG
Our 1st target Stob Ban

We had our 1st stop at the bothy which he had a nosy inside and found it to be clean and in good condition so after leaving a wee note in the book we headed off up the steep slopes to stob ban.
DSC00628.JPG
JB and bothy

The ascent is quick here and gives even better views back to a hill which we couldnt stop admiring,Sgurr Innse 8)
DSC00629.JPG

After a quick pull up here the path levels off a bit giving the legs a chance to prepare for the final pull up to stob ban
DSC00631.JPG

The climb up to the summit was very enjoyable and seen as the early morning summit cloud had now lifted we were rewarded with amazing views, especially to the ridge ahead
DSC00633.JPG
DSC00634.JPG
DSC00635.JPG

We had a brief stop at the top but altough we were on top of a munro we did feel a little small while looking at the bulky Stob Coire Claurigh in front of us and couldnt help but wonder how much energy it would take out of us to drop off stob ban and tackle those steep slopes.
The pull up this wasnt as bad as it looked but seemed to take an affect on me as I had to stop about 100mtrs from the summit as I was starting to feel it so after a wee 10 min breather we were on our way again and it wasnt long before we reached the summit which was worth the effort as the views from here were stunning 8)
DSC00636.JPG
DSC00637.JPG
DSC00638.JPG
DSC00639.JPG

The walk along the ridge was really enjoyable and any past sore legs etc were long forgotten as we seemed to reach our next target Stob Coire an Laoigh in no time
DSC00640.JPG
DSC00641.JPG
wee stob ban
DSC00642.JPG
summit cairn with Sgurr Choinnich Mor behind

It was at this point where I started not to feel that great and wasnt sure about tackling Sgurr Choinnich Mor or heading back to the car, we sat for a while with JB trying to convince me to go for it with me ready to decide against it but then I remembered a report by Alastair S on Sgurr Choinnich Mor from glen nevis which was around the 7 hour mark so it didnt take long to perk up and go for it.
As we joined the main ridge from the start there was another walker about 20 mins in front of us and as we headed for Sgurr Choinnich Mor we watched him descend the steep slope on the south side but we opted for a steep scree run to the left which got us down in no time where we then caught up with the man in front of us who said that wasnt an enjoyable downclimb which when we looked back we could see why
DSC00643.JPG
our route
DSC00644.JPG
Sgurr Choinnich Mor

The climb to the summit here was another steep one but again the views just kept getting better particularly to the ring of steall and the better side of ben nevis :D
DSC00645.JPG
DSC00646.JPG
DSC00648.JPG
DSC00649.JPG

After a good stop here it was time to head off where our last climb of the day stood before us up to the top of Stob Coire Easain,this was my most difficult part of the day where I just didnt have the energy to pull myself up at my normal pace and had to stop a good few times with JB pushing me on, whats happening,is it the heat, lack of energy, my beer from the previous night :lol: anyway got up eventually and took my last pics of this cracking ridge 8)
DSC00650.JPG
DSC00651.JPG
can see why its called the grey corries

I started to feel a bit better now as we made a quick descent off the now grassy slopes until JB kindly pointed out how far away the car was from here :shock: so we decided to up the pace and had a wee jog down most of the way.
we soon came to the river crossing and the dam and joined the return path back to the car along the old railway,this is where things really got worse for me as if the boggy track wasnt bad enough I now felt so bad I could hardly walk and JB seemed to get further away and it felt someone was pulling me back,whats going on how will I manage fisherfield if im struggling here,no way am I doing that now im not as fit as I thought.Not far to go and not paying attention i crossed a wee burn without jumping,whoops slipped on to the rocks,thats gonnae hurt tommorow. Got back to the car what seemed an age and have never been so glad to see it,within 5 mins I was sick everywhere and felt awfull,great that explains it I have got the same bug that floored my wife and her dad gammy leg walker during the week,perfect timing.
Finally got into the car and forgot all about the previous problem with the car,great limp mode all the way back home, cannae wait :sick:
We had our normal stop at the kinghouse hotel in glencoe to give the car a rest and get me out of it, feeling a bit better i stupidly got a half pint and done nothing but sit and look at it, whats happening to me theres a beer in front of me and I dont want it :lol: my feeling better didnt last long when JB'S burger appeared :sick: time to go
So my friday the 13th certainly didnt go to plan and with the longest car journey ever where even the grannies were overtaking Jb this turned out to be one of my most unforgettable days on the hills :lol:
Anyway apart from my moans I can highly recommend this route :lol: next stop fisherfield :D

Thanks for reading
Alan
Last edited by Alan S on Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Re: Friday the 13th on the Grey Corries

Postby JB likes a beer » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:16 pm

:clap: :clap: , EXCELLENT report mate,had a great day out, definetely one of my best days on the hills. next time remember me to take my own car :lol: , What happened to that half pint :angel: :lol:
JB likes a beer
Mountaineer

Munros:205   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby pollyh33 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:19 pm

Jings Alan, I don't know what to say first, fantastic report or how are all your sore bits??? :lol:

Emmmmm, fantastic report! I still have these hills to enjoy and all of the details in your narrative and fabbie photos will definitely help :thumbup:

Great to see the elusive JB and even better some pics of you for a change :clap:

So how are your sore bits?? I can't believe you took on this big walk when you were feeling ill but I suppose there's always a chance you could have walked it off if it had only been a hangover :?

Hope you're feeling better soon. P XX
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Stretch » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:22 pm

Can't help but notice the similarity between JB and the minister! :lol:

These are some fine pics you got here, Alan, and a fine effort by both of you to do this route. But, you're going to have to hit the gym and stay out of Gammy's fridge so you can prepare for Fisherfield!
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby JB likes a beer » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:24 pm

Cheers Andy :lol:
JB likes a beer
Mountaineer

Postby JB likes a beer » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:26 pm

pollyh33 wrote:Jings Alan, I don't know what to say first, fantastic report or how are all your sore bits??? :lol:

Emmmmm, fantastic report! I still have these hills to enjoy and all of the details in your narrative and fabbie photos will definitely help :thumbup:

Great to see the elusive JB and even better some pics of you for a change :clap:

So how are your sore bits?? I can't believe you took on this big walk when you were feeling ill but I suppose there's always a chance you could have walked it off if it had only been a hangover :?

Hi polly ,i think it was the hangover :lol:
JB likes a beer
Mountaineer

Postby pollyh33 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:39 pm

JB likes a beer wrote:
pollyh33 wrote:Jings Alan, I don't know what to say first, fantastic report or how are all your sore bits??? :lol:

Hi polly ,i think it was the hangover :lol:

Hi JB, so what did happen to the half-pint??? :wink:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Alan S » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:45 pm

JB likes a beer wrote::clap: :clap: , EXCELLENT report mate,had a great day out, definetely one of my best days on the hills. next time remember me to take my own car :lol: , What happened to that half pint :angel: :lol:

Cheers mate, Im sure this would have been one of my favourites if it wasnt for my mishaps :lol:
I seem to remember my half pint washed down your burger and chips :lol:

Thanks Polly :D
I felt great at the start of the walk and when i started to feel crap I put it down to my eating and drinking habbits :lol:
Feeling better now after 2 days doing nothing :( Just to add yesterday I was helping my son paint his new plane wee built and accidently drank the water I used to clean the brushes instead of my cola :oops: :sick: back to the toilet :lol:
Stretch wrote:These are some fine pics you got here, Alan, and a fine effort by both of you to do this route. But, you're going to have to hit the gym and stay out of Gammy's fridge so you can prepare for Fisherfield!

Cheers mate :D No gym for me im in tip top condition :lol:
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby tomyboy73 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:25 pm

thats some walk for bein ill Alan, i`m sure if you have maybe one less beer you`ll do the fisherfield walk no bother :lol:
crackin picture along the ridge
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:185   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

Postby PeteR » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:21 pm

Great report and pictures :D I absolutely loved my day on the Grey Corries last year. Seems such a long time ago now, but that ridge is certainly good fun and one I'll return to.

Not sure I'd have wanted to do this trip feeling unwell though as it's a long day, so a good effort on your part. I think I would have bailed after Stob Ban :shock: Well done for keeping going.
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby gammy leg walker » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:07 pm

Cracking report mate,been looking forward to you posting,glad your feeling better today.

PS...............we both need another longish day before fisherfield if possible.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby pigeon » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:09 pm

Blimey ,that was a great effort given your ill-health,car troubles,slips and trips and all the other mis-haps :lol: The long walk back must have been torture,at least the weather was good to you 8) Well done on seeing it through though,brilliant walk this and you got some great pictures as well :thumbup:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:128
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby Alan S » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:18 pm

tomyboy73 wrote:thats some walk for bein ill Alan, i`m sure if you have maybe one less beer you`ll do the fisherfield walk no bother :lol:
crackin picture along the ridge

Cheers mate :D yeh need to cut down on the beer I havent decided who is carrying it yet to shenevall bothy :wink: :lol:

PeteR wrote:Great report and pictures :D I absolutely loved my day on the Grey Corries last year. Seems such a long time ago now, but that ridge is certainly good fun and one I'll return to.
Not sure I'd have wanted to do this trip feeling unwell though as it's a long day, so a good effort on your part. I think I would have bailed after Stob Ban :shock: Well done for keeping going.

Thanks for your comments PeteR, Sometimes its amazing how you can perk up when you have just summited,its the way back that gets me :lol:
gammy leg walker wrote:Cracking report mate,been looking forward to you posting,glad your feeling better today.
we both need another longish day before fisherfield if possible.

Cheers mate feeling better ta,hopefully sneak something else in before our trip :D
pigeon wrote:Blimey ,that was a great effort given your ill-health,car troubles,slips and trips and all the other mis-haps :lol: The long walk back must have been torture,at least the weather was good to you 8) Well done on seeing it through though,brilliant walk this and you got some great pictures as well :thumbup:

Thanks pigeon :D , that walk back was my worst experience yet in hillwalking
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby Fudgie » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:10 pm

Doing that walk is something special on it's own never mind feeling the way you did. You can console yourself with the fact it probably can't get worse than that :D
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby Stuart Angus » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:25 pm

Cracking pictures, we've all managed some good weather 8) this weekend...........makes a change! :lol:
Stuart Angus

Munros:81   Corbetts:6
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:4   

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland