walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beware the bite by Beinn Mhanach

Beware the bite by Beinn Mhanach

Postby kevsbald » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:35 pm

Route description: Beinn Mhanach

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Mhanach

Date walked: 16/11/2009

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hill aficionados will be scratching their head at the title of my post. What could possibly go wrong on the benign Beinn Mhanach? I wanted to do this hill with a good pack on to prepare for the Tarf Bothy trip and I have to be honest in saying that I had been putting this Munro off for a while. It didn't appear to have much in the way of great views, crags and was a long walk-in. However, I parked up at 0830 beside the A82 and made good progress along the road passed some barking dogs (N.B. captive at this point). Also, came across a rather insidious looking sheep, which looked like it had been plugged into the mains. Not long after, I had to make a tip toe crossing over the Allt Kinglas and it wouldn't be the last time. You have to do this 7 times on the way into Beinn Mhanach and obviously on the way back out so a dry day is best, particularly for this hill. As it was, I was adept at stepping on stones without falling and the walk along the road was most enjoyable. The cliffs of Beinn a Chaisteal rise high on the right hand side and that was a Corbett I was definitely looking forward to. Beinn a Chuirn came into view at the viaduct and seemed a fair way off. I had been going a good while when I came across Duncan Ban MacIntyre's old howff - it appears to have been converted to a shearing site and there was a massive bag of wool in there. A good place for an emergency stop-off. What a wee place to have lived - so isolated. I never met a soul going in or out to this all day and for solitude, this is a great walk. I pushed on and began an ascending traverse up to Beinn Mhanach. Loch Lyon came into view as did Ben Challum but although it was covered in cloud, I could make out snow on its top. Would I experience that at the summit? No. It wasn't long before I entered clagville and I never saw anything of a view until I came back out of the cloud. I hit the summit cairn, took a wee coffee and sandwich and then re-traced my steps. At the fence-posts, I followed them down to the road. Uneventful, a Munro in the bag and what should be a nice easy amble home. And it was until I got past the last set of houses (the sign reads Fir Park). I never even heard the dirty little mutt until growling, it had its teeth firmly into my Scarpa boot and with a slight sphincter-twitch, I realised I was being mauled by some dark hound. It growled and snarled and I promptly kicked it in the face (sorry PETA lovers) and it relinquished its grip before running off quite unperturbed. I wasn't hurt but did think of others who may not be so lucky or have a fear of dogs. Be warned. I kept thinking if only I'd kicked it in the scrot, it might have had to get prosthetic testes then when it dragged itself along the ground, you could say "Here Sparky!" Next stop - Tarf Bothy.
GetAttachment-1.aspx.jpeg
Do android sheep dream of electric fences?
GetAttachment-2.aspx.jpeg
Beinn a Chaisteal
GetAttachment-3.aspx.jpeg
Beinn a Chuirn beyond the viaduct
GetAttachment-5.aspx.jpeg
Fae some sheep
GetAttachment-6.aspx.jpeg
Say......cheese...
GetAttachment.aspx.jpeg
Man-made water feature
GetAttachment-7.aspx.jpeg
Beware the dog's kahunas....
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Re: Beware the bite by Beinn Mhanach

Postby John Burgess » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:32 pm

Have to admit this one of my last 10 munro's - simply because I had to do it to finish them. Actually had a nice day cycling in from the Loch Lyon side!

I'm getting worried with all this training for the Tarf Hotel trip :lol:

All the best,
John
John Burgess

Munros:282   Corbetts:144
Fionas:78   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:110
Wainwrights:214   

Postby mountain coward » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:06 am

Great report Kevsbald. However, I'm a PETA supporter.................. and you did bloody well right! :lol: Farm dogs should be controlled as they are invariably sly and vicious when the farmer's not looking! I've had quite a few run-ins with farm dogs in the Lakes. They should be kept inside their sheds or chained when near a footpath! It's only a matter of time before someone reports them and the very valuable (probably £1000+) sheepdog has to be put down!

My Mum and I got badly threatened by about 3 snarling farmdogs which wouldn't let us past near Troutbeck when we tried to pass the farm at the entrance to Hag Gill. We eventually braved it past them (we were coming back after the walk so had no choice really). Another time I was walking along the back road into Grasmere after coming off Steel Fell end. My Mum was some way behind as she was finding the pounding down the road hard on the legs. This dog ran out of the farm and bit the back of my leg tearing my trousers badly. I yelled at it and it eventually b*ggered off but stood waiting to jump on my mother. I was really worried so hung around. Mum hove into view with her wooden walking stick, the hound took one look and slunk back into the farmyard - they know what walking sticks are, that's for sure!

I really enjoyed Beinn Mhanach - I hooked up with a lady staying in Crianlarich Youth Hostel at the same time as me to do it. It was blowing a hoolie and p***ing it down so we decided it was a good plan for the day. It was a nice straight-forward walk for me and luckily it wasn't claggy enough to spoil the view of Beinn Achaladair and a' Creachain behind. We didn't cross the river much - there's a couple of crossings you can avoid via a small path on the river bank between 2 of them. We never saw Duncan Ban's house on the way out but purposely looked for it on the return - yeah it had been 'utilised' by the farmer which I think is why we never noticed it on the way out.
mountain coward

Postby mountain coward » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:09 am

Quite some horns on that tup! Maybe he had them permed? :D And that dog in the last pic? Is that yours or off t'internet? :lol:
mountain coward

Postby bootsandpaddles » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:12 am

Love the sheep. I made a good round trip of Beinn Mhanach by going over the bealach between Beinn Dorain and Beinn an Dothaidh and returning via Auch Gleann. Then you only have to run the gauntlet of the dogs once!
bootsandpaddles

Munros:282   Corbetts:103
Donalds:7

Postby Paul Webster » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:41 am

Those sheep look scary enough without the dog! I'm always getting bitten for some reason but I think pooch must have had a day off when I did that one.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby gaffr » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:14 pm

Hello,
There is never ever a boring hill...the views towards the Lyon side are fine....had better weather that you did. I do, also hope, that your dog does not develop a taste for the delicacy he seems to be eyeing up. :lol:
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland