walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Helvellyn, White Side and Raise via Striding Edge

Helvellyn, White Side and Raise via Striding Edge

Postby sipatterson3899 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:41 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Helvellyn, Raise, White Side

Hewitts included on this walk: Helvellyn, Raise, White Side

Date walked: 27/10/2009

Time taken: 5

Distance: 16 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Helvellyn with Richard T and Derrick M.
We initially planned to do Helvellyn via Striding Edge and back down Swirral Edge, but cloud on the summit made the descent onto Swirral a bit too risky, so we went on and did White Side and Raise, returning to Glenridding for a pint and some home made chips! Mmmmm!
Pics of the summit (Helvellyn Trig Point)
From iPhone Nov 12 2009 429.JPG
Richard and Derrick on Helvellyn (a bit windy)
From iPhone Nov 12 2009 430.JPG
Me and Derrick on Helvellyn

And of the descent into Glenridding when the cloud finally cleared!
From iPhone Nov 12 2009 431.JPG
Coming Down Sticks Gill
From iPhone Nov 12 2009 432.JPG
Me Coming Down Sticks Gill
sipatterson3899
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:13   

Re: Helvellyn, White Side and Raise via Striding Edge

Postby canisp » Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:59 pm

Shame about the cloud on the summit :( but glad to see you got some views later on :D. Swirral Edge can be tricky in the cloud, wet or wind but the difficulties are short lived, and in bad conditions i‘ve always thought Striding Edge the more difficult of the two.
canisp

Munros:281   Corbetts:191
Fionas:28   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:195
Wainwrights:213   

Postby Glenrothes » Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:31 pm

I always thought that the descent of Swirrel Edge, (look for the very large cairn that marks the start) the easier of the two edges. As canisp says, Striding Edge is the more difficult to descend only because the start is more difficult to find and is more sustained

There now seems to be paths forming which makes for the traverse of both easier for those of a nervous disposition :?

I was there yesterday and had a great day out in similar conditions - good report :thumbup:
Glenrothes

Postby sipatterson3899 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:38 pm

Thanks guys! I think we could actually see the path down to swirral, but as I've never done swirral we decided to not risk it as the path disappeared into the cloud and from where we were stood with the wind it seemed too great a risk. Will definately try it next time I'm up there and hopefully take in catstye cam too - there's something magical I think about mountains with that stereotypical triangular pointed summit! :D
sipatterson3899
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:13   

Postby mountain coward » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:27 am

canisp wrote:Shame about the cloud on the summit :( but glad to see you got some views later on :D. Swirral Edge can be tricky in the cloud, wet or wind but the difficulties are short lived, and in bad conditions i‘ve always thought Striding Edge the more difficult of the two.

I've only ever gone up Striding but have gone up and down Swirral and find it far more difficult than Striding as Striding is more or less flat along the ridge whereas Swirral is a bit more like rock-climbing as it's craggy and steep. Having said that, I don't normally use the side paths on Swirral and I go up the crag in the middle - reason? 'cos it's sound whereas the side paths are prone to collapse. When I did this round with a group, one of the group was on a section of path over Red Tarn on Swirral Edge when the path collapsed and he slid half way down to the tarn. Me and Richard had been negotiating our way down the solid rock middle so had a good vantage point to watch and see if he stopped!
mountain coward

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland