walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Vorlich & Stuc a'Chroin - first solo walk

Ben Vorlich & Stuc a'Chroin - first solo walk

Postby thand » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:37 pm

Route description: Ben Vorlich and Stùc a' Chròin

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vorlich (Loch Earn), Stùc a' Chròin

Date walked: 12/07/2012

Time taken: 5 hours

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

So a week off work, Sunday and Monday night spent in Torridon with plenty of eating touring due to the wife having badly hurt her foot (how convenient). After driving around Torridon for two days I had a munro itch that needed a good scratch. Luckily the forecast was looking good for Crief on Thursday and with the wife out of action I decided to head out on my own.

After a great early morning drive with tunes blaring I was parked up at Ardvorlich and walking by 8.
P1010310.JPG
P1010311.JPG

The clouds were low but at least it wasn't raining and I was making good progress over the bridges.

Soon I was on the shoulder of Ben Vorlich and the hill got steaper. After a couple of breathers the summit loomed out of the clouds and I was on top by 10 enjoying a spot of brunch watching the cloud burn off Stuc a'Chroin.
P1010318.JPG
P1010319.JPG

Could have sat there all day but thought I had best get moving and headed down into the dip. The top of SaC was soon clear.
P1010327.JPG
I decided to give the scramble a miss as I was on my own and hadn't seen anyone on the hills yet (I wouldn't see anyone till I was nearly back down) so eaded up the bail out path to the right. This was pretty steep but I was up in no time and wandered along the edge to the summit where I finished my sandwiches and listened to fast jets passing overhead.
P1010331.JPG
P1010335.JPG
The clouds had now lifted off the summits so I had great views which kept me there for a while before I headed down to the bealach before crossing over to the path and back down.
P1010336.JPG

Really great day and enjoyed the solitude. Next stop overnight camp! ;)
thand
Munro compleatist

Munros:192   Corbetts:12
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:8   

Re: Ben Vorlich & Stuc a'Chroin - first solo walk

Postby Alan S » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:06 pm

well done :D always good to get out on your own now and again
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby simon-b » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:20 pm

A nice pair of Munros for your first solo venture. I'm glad you got the view from Stuc a'Chroin. These two were both in cloud when I did them, but I still found them impressive mountains.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby thand » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:19 pm

Thanks. Really enjoyed my own company and pace and think these were a good pair to do as not too far from civillisation yet still give a good challenge.

Although blue skies are always good sometimes walking through a little cloud you can see is lifting makes the walk a bit more atmospheric...
thand
Munro compleatist

Munros:192   Corbetts:12
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:8   

Postby Stuart Angus » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:15 pm

There's something about SaC, it's awesome, I could read reports on it all day. Great pics too :)
Stuart Angus

Munros:81   Corbetts:6
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:4   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland