walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Chabhair, from Inverarnan

Postby Gavin Canavan » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:35 am

Route description: Beinn Chabhair, from Inverarnan

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Chabhair

Date walked: 14/07/2012

Time taken: 6.5 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 1010m

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I chose this munro with the idea in mind that it would be a fairly easy one, its wider ascent made me think that it would be a less strenuous climb! How wrong I was! Beinn Chabheir was to be a hill I had totally under estimated.

I set off with my brother from Bearsden late in the morning thinking that I could bag the hill and be home in time for dinner, parked the car at the Inn in Inverarnan, geared up and set-off along the A82 towards the bridge over to the campsite.

IMG_0059.JPG
Bridge to Ben Glas Farm and Campsite

I took some advice from the walk description and cut through the field rather than going through the campsite which was nice, I thought of those walking the west highland way and their long route all the way along the east side of Loch Lomond, a walk I hope to do soon myself.

It was here that I would make a slight error of judgment, taking a wrong turn I crossed the bridge and followed a trail through thick bracken away from the falls, It wasn’t till I couldn’t go any further that I realised I had taken a wrong turn, I retraced my steps and for a few moments was considering calling it a day to research the route a little further and return another time, but on the way back I caught a glimpse of a path on the other side of the falls and decided to go for it, this one mistake added 1.25 hours to my journey!

On a plus note I wouldn’t have gotten as close to the falls as I did had I not taken a wrong turn;

IMG_0024.JPG
Ben Glas Falls

The initial ascent was very steep and it was nice to reach the top above the falls when we did, the path over the moors was very boggy and quite unclear at times but we pushed on alongside Ben Glas Burn to the ridge.

IMG_0025.JPG
Summer Colours

My brothers sharp eye spotted this little guy on our way;

IMG_0026.JPG
Wee frog

After a hard slog over the boggy moors we came to Lochan Beinn Chabhair and began our ascent onto the ridge.

IMG_0028.JPG
Lochan Beinn Chabhair

IMG_0030.JPG
Looking west over the moors we had just crossed, Ben Vorlich looking prominent on the left

Once on the ridge we were gaining height quickly and some fantastic views began to open up, the path was faint at first but after a few hundred feet became very clear and our walk was very enjoyable.

IMG_0032.JPG
Looking south, Ben Lomond in the distance

IMG_0033.JPG
View to the north-west, Ben Lui looking sharp!

We knew we were almost there when we could see An Caisteal and Beinn a'Chroin, a lovely wee shower cooled us down a bit and gave us this magnificent picture;

IMG_0035.JPG
Rainbow in the valley, An Caisteal and Beinn a'Chroin from Beinn Chabhair

The summit's in sight!
IMG_0037.JPG
Beinn Chabhair Summit

After 5 hours, bog and midges on the moors and a challenging ascent, we made it to the summit and it was definitely worth it, the views were fantastic and we really lucked out with the weather, we even had an appearance from Mr sun which gave me the opportunity to snap some excellent pics.

IMG_0044.JPG
Obligatory summit shot

We found a wee spot out of the wind to enjoy a victory sandwich and enjoy the views.

Some photos from the summit;
IMG_0040.JPG
Looking down the ridge from the summit

IMG_0042.JPG
View south to Ben Lomond

I'm not going to get into too much detail of our descent, the path was much clearer on the way back and we followed it all the way back to the car, here’s some great pictures I got on the way;

IMG_0046.JPG
Descending Ben Chabhair

IMG_0048.JPG
Descending Ben Chabhair

IMG_0050.JPG
Descending Ben Chabhair

IMG_0052.JPG
Back over the moors, Ben Glas Burn

IMG_0053.JPG

IMG_0055.JPG

Back down the falls to the stile and over it to descend the final 150 meters or so and the end of a wonderful day;

IMG_0057.JPG
The final hurdle

Arrived back at the car bang on 7pm, what a day! The only thing that let me down was my Scarpa boots, my feet were soaked through! I'll put that down to experience. :)
Gavin Canavan
Munro compleatist

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   

Re: Beinn Chabhair, from Inverarnan

Postby basscadet » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:43 am

Aye, it's a bonny part of the world, and you got a bonny day for it.. Lovely photos :clap:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby Fudgie » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:42 am

I'm always jealous of people who get great weather for this one so well done and it's good to see what I missed :D
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby weealig » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:36 am

Excellent report and pics planning to do this myself later in the month hope I get as good weather!
weealig
Munro compleatist

Munros:49   

Postby Stuart Angus » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:31 am

Its just one big slog Beinn Chabhair isn't it.......................I get a shiver every time I drive through Inverarnan these days, think I'm scarred for life :D At least you've done it now though and dare I say, like me, won't be hurrying back anytime soon :lol:
Stuart Angus

Munros:81   Corbetts:6
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:4   

Postby neilh23 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:01 pm

5 of us did this yesterday and we didn't get as clear a day as this. On the up side, given the dry spell recently, we encountered very little boggy ground. We could see where it could be very wet. I guess we just lucked out. :o We had been putting this off for so long so I'm glad we eventually did it. I thought it was a cracking walk. :D
I'm also intrigued as to what is on a victory sandwich :)
neilh23
Mountaineer

Munros:96   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:10   

Postby LeithySuburbs » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:08 pm

Some fine photos :D .

Gavin Canavan wrote:It was here that I would make a slight error of judgment, taking a wrong turn I crossed the bridge and followed a trail through thick bracken away from the falls

I did the same but in winter with frozen ground and little bracken so just ploughed on uphill and had to climb an awkward fence :?
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby Themyarhills » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:34 pm

Beinn Chabhair arrived early in my Hillwalking ventures.From Drovers Inn through the campsite and up the lovely falls is something of an early signal of how tough this walk can be.It`s very wet indeed on the walk up to Lochan Chabhair so best choose this one when there has been a dry spell.
Themyarhills

Postby weescotsman » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:42 pm

Did this one last Wednesday in the heat and I also made the same mistake going up the right hand side and into the triffid like ferns. But at least I also got some cracking pics of the waterfalls. Then I made a 2nd error and went off the path up a gully thinking it would be faster. Big mistake indeed. Had to go up and down several hillocks to get back to the path. But at least I had a view of Lochan an Chaisteill; that's how far I'd veered off. Sure was glad to eventually find the path...............

DSCF1134.JPG
Lochan an Chaisteill

Was tempted to go for a dip on the way down but I was kinda running late, took me about 8 hrs for the round trip but I was taking plenty breaks for drink and photos...... honest.
weescotsman
Munro compleatist

Munros:116   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:8   

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland