walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Nevis (My 6th Munro)

Ben Nevis (My 6th Munro)

Postby Gary1904 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:28 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Nevis

Date walked: 16/07/2012

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 17 km

Ascent: 1344m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

So, I completed the task of doing the highest Munro, Ben Nevis on 14th July 2012. This was my 6th Munro and out of the 6 I have done I liked this one the least, the path is brutal, very very rocky and the amount of people going up and down the path was just ridiculous at times .... however, it was a long walk up and I found it quite hard going at times, the weather was excellent although there was absolutely no views to be seen at the summit ... We stayed over night at the Ben Nevis Inn which is located right at the start of the path for the climb, brilliant place to stay and does very good food and drink, highly recommend staying here !!!

On the way up the mountain I met football legend John Hartson who was raising money for charity again, this is the 2nd time Ive met him, so that was a good photo opportunity. Well done John on another hard climb

I have started a facebook page on my climbs, please have a visit, thanks

https://www.facebook.com/Myquesttobagthe283munromountainsbyGaryThomson

1.jpg
At the start of the climb

1.jpg
feeling the heat

1.jpg
Meeting John Hartson on the way up

1.jpg
With my friends Will and Wod

1.jpg
At the summit of Ben Nevis

1.jpg
After the clib, time for a pint
Gary1904
Munro compleatist

Munros:9   Corbetts:1

Re: Ben Nevis (My 6th Munro)

Postby Fudgie » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:11 pm

Well done and having previously decided that I'll do this via the CMD, your post has strengthened my resolve to avoid the tourist path :D

BBJ is an absolute gentleman :clap:
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby Bod » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:41 pm

Nice report, well done and great to have met John Hartson! :D :D :D
Next time you will need to consider approaching via Carn Mor Dearg (neighbouring munro) from the east. That truly shows off Ben Nevis at its best and there are far less people about. One for the record, check my report from just a few weeks ago, cheers :clap:
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:51   Islands:25

Postby GillC » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:10 pm

Well done,,epic slog. The track never appealed to me at all,,,too many stories of mass crowds etc. CMD is defo a fab alternative. We did it in near Arctic conditions in May. Hard hard work but worth it. The path down was terrible,,hard packed ice from the hordes walking it (lead to my fall and injury) , Well done, so early in your Munro career though. :clap:
GillC
Munro compleatist

Munros:64   Corbetts:50
Fionas:32   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:22

Postby Gary1904 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:49 am

Thanks guys, and yeah, the toursist path = nightmare, at one stage there must have been about 50 people in a crowd, some stag thing .... in total I must have said hello to people about 300 times lol. On the way down it's so annoying, constantly having to stop and let people past, I will do Nevis again from a different route once I have completed the Munro's, I never got to see what Nevis is really like ....
Gary1904
Munro compleatist

Munros:9   Corbetts:1

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland