walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Catch the Pigeon

Catch the Pigeon

Postby Frigate » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:51 pm

Munros included on this walk: Gleouraich, Spidean Mialach

Date walked: 14/07/2012

Time taken: 5.75 hours

Distance: 11.4 km

Ascent: 1143m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

For those that remember, two Dastardlys and a Muttley went to Loch Quoich to catch a Pigeon, only this one is from Linlithgow and not the Yankee Doodle kind.

Picked Ian and Jake the dug up at Tiso's car park in Perth at 5 am and toddled up an empty road to Glen Garry.
Found the turn off for Kinlochhorn and immediately had severe doubts as to the validitiy of the track leading anywhere. However pressed on into light rain passing a few cars/camper vans who's occupants were still abed.
Found Pidge's car and drew up alongside, he was sat in the drivers seat foaming and salvering at the mouth; Foot and Mouth? Dengie fever? - no cleaning his teeth.

We decided to follow the WH route, Spidean 1st as opposed to the SMC route Gleouriach 1st. The start of both routes are marked by grey metal posts 1m high but they are all but lost in the Rhododendron growth, both paths are excellent.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Height was gained quickly up to Coire Mheil fords where we were supprised how dry the ground was. Then up Coire Glas where the path traversed the hill zigzaging in a boulder field, here we disturbed a large herd of deer which showed us 'how' to climb a hill.

P1010019.JPG
Loch Quoich looking to the West

P1010022.JPG
Fiar Bhealach

P1010023.JPG
Garbh Choich Mhor, Sgurr na Ciche, Ben Aden being shy

Stopped at the summit of Spidean Mialach for breakfast for about 15 mins and to soak in the views.

P1010024.JPG
Pigeon, Ian & Jake at Spidean Mialach summit

P1010025.JPG
Glengarry forest

P1010026.JPG
Craig a'Mhaim, start of the South Shiel ridge

P1010027.JPG
Lots of hills still to climb

Nice walk along the ridge top to descend into the bhealach with the rear of the South Glen Sheil ridge opening up before us, memories of pain and pleasure from our trip in May along the ridge.

P1010028.JPG
Maol Chinn-Dearg

P1010029.JPG
Back to Spidean M from the 977m spot

P1010030.JPG
Ahead to Gleouraich from the 977m spot

The ascent to Creag Coire is steep but pleasurable as if follows a well made path with steps in the rocks.

P1010031.JPG
Descent from Spidean M into the Fiar Bealach

P1010032.JPG
Climb to Creag Coire na Fiar Bhealach

P1010033.JPG
Sgurr an Lochan

Made the top of Glerourach in 4 hours where we stopped 15 mins for lunch. The silence on top of this hill was painful on my ears, no feedback, no nothing, just silence.

P1010034.JPG
Gairich & Gulvain

P1010035.JPG
Gleouraich top from 1006m spot

P1010036.JPG
The Saddle

P1010037.JPG
Back to Spidean M

P1010038.JPG
Gleourich summit

The descent was again by an excellent path and were were back to the cars in a little over five and a half hours.

P1010039.JPG
Route down over Druim Seileach top

The Hunting Lodge at Alltbeithe, even with an air strip must be be one of the loneliest places.

P1010040.JPG
Loneliest house in the glen

P1010041.JPG
Loch Quoich bridge

P1010042.JPG

P1010043.JPG
Spidean Mialach from the descent down Sron a'Chuilinn

P1010045.JPG
Allt Coire Peitireach

Stopped at the Glengarry Hotel for a beer and entertainment, provided by a blue rinse American tourist. Who ordered a meal, ate 95% of it, then complained about the Branston pickle on the plate, refused to pay and did a runner. Barman, 2 waitresses and the duty manager(owner?) gave chase into the car park. All well in the end as the meal was paid for and a tip for the waitress who was 'very nice and polite'
Frigate
Munro compleatist

Munros:137   Corbetts:12
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:9
Islands:12

Re: Catch the Pigeon

Postby Alan S » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:53 pm

Good report frigate 8) Good too see the pics you guys have taken of these hills as I didnt see much
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby pigeon » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:27 pm

Nice pics Kev,we should have tried the American tourists method on that £100 a nip malt we seen. :lol: :lol:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:130
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby hills » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:10 pm

Great stuff, really enjoyed this walk, so good to see it again. Saw that airstrip, strange eh... :o
hills
Hill Bagger

Munros:255   Corbetts:170
Fionas:172   Donalds:88
Sub 2000:191   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:32   Islands:34

Postby basscadet » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:27 am

Aye, nice report and pics.. Still haven't made it up these, but I did see the airstrip while doing the south glenshiel ridge.. Seems like a good idea to me if you had the money :)
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby Ian Bayne » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:23 pm

A well detailed report Kev are you sure you were not in the provost staff back to the norm chasing the pigeon
Ian Bayne
Mountain Walker

Munros:184   Corbetts:39
Fionas:13   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:12   

Postby monty » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:58 pm

Great set of photos Frigate. Seems like an age since I was up these two. :D Great views all round thought.
monty

Postby Frigate » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:32 pm

Alan S wrote:Good report frigate 8) Good too see the pics you guys have taken of these hills as I didnt see much

Thanks Alan, yes great views but tempered by the number of peaks still to be conquered

pigeon wrote:Nice pics Kev,we should have tried the American tourists method on that £100 a nip malt we seen. :lol: :lol:

Would that be a 'nip in' and a 'nip out' then?

hills wrote:Great stuff, really enjoyed this walk, so good to see it again. Saw that airstrip, strange eh... :o

basscadet wrote:Aye, nice report and pics.. Still haven't made it up these, but I did see the airstrip while doing the south glenshiel ridge.. Seems like a good idea to me if you had the money :)

I believe it was put in for a 'royal' to exercise his right to give deer lead poisoning

monty wrote:Great set of photos Frigate. Seems like an age since I was up these two. :D Great views all round thought.

Long way to go for a day trip but as you say stunning up there. We are back for more the 1st weekend in November, Pigeon has a big list of hills for us to chose from
Frigate
Munro compleatist

Postby pollyh33 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:50 pm

Great report Frigate,

Smashing photos there too- didn't have a clue about that airstrip thingy :shock:

As someone who is old enough to remember Catch the Pigeon, I would have to say I preferred Dastardly and Mutley in Wacky Races :lol: :lol:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Frigate » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:17 pm

pollyh33 wrote:Great report Frigate,

Smashing photos there too- didn't have a clue about that airstrip thingy :shock:

As someone who is old enough to remember Catch the Pigeon, I would have to say I preferred Dastardly and Mutley in Wacky Races :lol: :lol:

Would that be Polly Pitstop then

Forgot to suggest a walk on my reply to Beinn Bhuide, the Tarmachan Ridge a mite further to drive but has a little of everything. False top/crag, open ridge walk, few up/downs between tops, a bail out in the middle and a track to walk out on. The Old Smiddy serves soup, don't know if its parsnip though.
Frigate
Munro compleatist

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland