walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Three And Not So Easy

Three And Not So Easy

Postby Fudgie » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:47 pm

Route description: Ben Starav and Glas Bheinn Mhòr

Munros included on this walk: Beinn nan Aighenan, Ben Starav, Glas Bheinn Mhòr

Date walked: 14/07/2012

Time taken: 9.5 hours

Distance: 20.6 km

Ascent: 1898m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I had originally planned to head up the A9 to either do the 4 at Drumochter or the Beinn a Ghlo three but when I woke up I really didn't feel like such a long drive so it was off to Glen Etive. The road was busier than I thought at that time of the morning but I made quick time up the A82 and before I knew it I was heading down Glen Etive past lots of folk camping. I did have to stop when one of the locals blocked my path but after he moved I carried on to the car park and got a good view of my first target of the day, Ben Starav, as well as a view back up the Glen.

The midgies were making their presence felt at the car so I didn't hang about and quickly made off down the path and past the cottage. Not long after this I made the mistake of crossing the stile and soon found myself in thick fern which was head height. I gave up quickly and pushed myself through to the stream and crossed over on to the proper path.

I was finding the going difficult through a combination of the heat, my right knee playing up and the fact I had been stuffing my face for the previous week. I stopped for a hefty drink and a few pictures around the 700m mark and I was a bit dismayed to see a small amount of cloud covering the top. I also had a look over at my intended third munro of the day Glass Bheinn Mhor which didn't seem too far away as well as a glance at the other summits of Glencoe.

I seemed to get a second wind and made light work of the 300m to the top although I was quite hungry and told myself that my reward for getting to the top would be food. As the cloud had now lifted, my other reward was a great view down Loch Etive.

After leaving the summit, I reached the narrow ridge towards Stob Coire Dearg and I had great fun scrambling along the top of it before the long drop down towards the bealach. I broke right here and descended further before beginning the ascent of Beinn nan Aighenan. As I peered round the side of my next target I could see the distinctive peak of Beinn Eunaich which I climbed earlier this year in poor weather.

I was struggling at this point and by the time I reached the summit, any thoughts of doing all 5 in the area had vanished and it was simply a case of getting the next two done and heading back to the car. I didn't stay long at the top and took a picture of the Loch Awe hills (Beinn Eunaich, Beinn a Chochuill, Stob Daimh & Ben Cruachan) which I have already ticked off as well as a look back to Ben Starav and a look ahead to Glass Bheinn Mhor.

I descended hastily and this part of the walk in reverse wasn't too badand I made good time back to the bealach before climbing up to Meall nan Tri Tighearnan. Tiredness was creeping in by now but I told myself I had one final ascent to do up to Glass Bheinn Mhor and it would be all downhill after that.

I made it up to the top in a decent enough time and as I sat down at the cairn, the sun came out and it was a wonderful feeling to be up there enjoying those views. The relief was palpable but as I guzzled water and enjoyed some chocolate, I gazed into the distance at the many lumps and bumps, some of which I could identify and others which were a mystery.

Looking down at the descent path, I figured it wouldn't be long before I was back to the bottom of Ben Starav but it seemed to go on forever and it took a lot longer than I thought. The path alternates between solid stone and soggy bog and at one point I performed a triple jump to get through some of it. As I reached the point where I had left the path on the way up to head for Ben Starav, I passed some people swimming in some of the deeper pools. I was tempted to jump in myself but settled for continuing my tradition of filling up my water bottle as I leave a hill. One part of the stream looked like a natural flume and I wished I had brought a rubber ring to slide along it :D

I was surprised by how long it had taken me to get round and I put the foot down heading back to the car and it was a wonderful sight to see it sitting there. The rain made a brief appearance and I enjoyed it bouncing down whilst I watched a stag in a nearby field. After a quick change of clothes I was off down the road, halted only by another of the locals saying cheerio. A very enjoyable day out but also very hard going and a sign that stuffing my face for a couple of weeks won't help me get fitter :D

A bigger size of all my pictures can be found here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25762426@N05/sets/72157630590667460/with/7576820092/
Attachments

Starav 3.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Re: Three And Not So Easy

Postby Stuart Angus » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:11 pm

Pictures are brilliant, especially the one down Glen Etive from Starav. Nice one 8)
Stuart Angus

Munros:81   Corbetts:6
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:4   

Postby Fudgie » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:17 pm

Cheers Stuart, makes it worthwhile to carry that camera about.
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Postby rockhopper » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:43 pm

It's a heck of a start to the day from sea level straight up Ben Starav but once you're up there the views are magical - nice day for it even if a bit cloudy but at least you got some great clear views and photos - cheers :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Fudgie » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:39 am

rockhopper wrote:It's a heck of a start to the day from sea level straight up Ben Starav but once you're up there the views are magical - nice day for it even if a bit cloudy but at least you got some great clear views and photos - cheers :D

Aye, when I realised I had to ascend over 1000m straight away it wasn't the best way to start a day :D
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Postby Alan S » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:37 pm

Nice one fudgie excellent pictures as always 8)
Me and Jb were nearly doing this route on friday before we changed last minute to the grey corries,thanks for sharing :D
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby Fudgie » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:10 am

Alan S wrote:Nice one fudgie excellent pictures as always 8)
Me and Jb were nearly doing this route on friday before we changed last minute to the grey corries,thanks for sharing :D

No worries Alan and thanks. I highly recommend it but don't take it lightly like I did :oops: :lol:
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland