walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Mojo sightings - Loch Lochy 2 plus 1

Mojo sightings - Loch Lochy 2 plus 1

Postby Graeme D » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:18 pm

Munros included on this walk: Meall na Teanga, Sròn a' Choire Ghairbh

Corbetts included on this walk: Ben Tee

Date walked: 14/07/2012

Time taken: 8.3 hours

Distance: 20.3 km

Ascent: 1710m

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

If you read my last TR about a Sunday evening ascent of the Graham Mor Bheinn near Comrie, you will know that that was not one of my more enjoyable hill experiences. For whatever reason, I found myself looking back on that one with a strange feeling of disaffection and apathy. Since then, we had spent ten days in England, most of it in Cornwall. Not surprisingly, the weather had been predominantly p*** and there had certainly been nothing in the way of hill action. :(

I had researched the Brown Willy/Rough Tor route but to be honest, I was pretty unprepared for that or any other routes in the South West. The weather made it a rather unappealing prospect and I knew that heading off on my own for a few hours and leaving Debbie and Ailsa to their own devices was not really an option. I also knew that in the conditions, it would not be a good idea for them to tag along as well, so I was a little surprised one evening when Debbie asked about the Brown Willy walk. However, something - either my description of it, the fact that I admitted to not having the OS map and therefore being reliant solely on the sparse description given in the Rough Guide to Devon and Cornwall, or my own apparent lack of enthusiasm - put her off and I could just tell that it would be totally counter-productive and more trouble than it was worth. :problem:

So we headed home and I felt only the slightest pang as we sped along the A30 past High Willhays, rising to our right out of the mist and drizzle near Okehampton. :shock:

Back home with my wife back at work and myself with the majority of my summer holidays still to come, I contemplated my hill walking options as the monsoon conditions raged outside. But my hill mojo appeared to have gone AWOL! To cut a long story short, various negotiations were held with my wife, the basics being that she thought I shouldn't be heading out as much as I was advocating, while I was arguing my case in public but in private still feeling really quite unmotivated and switched off. :? :o

We also had a French au pair "on loan" from a friend who was away on holiday for a week, and although on the face of it, this appeared to be a godsend as it would free me up from childcare and household duties to get out walking, I still didn't hear the hills calling clearly or if I did, I didn't think I could go away and leave an 18 year old stranger (very nice, competent and good with Ailsa as she was) in sole charge. :think:

So I was kind of just bumping along the bottom, the rain still driving on and off against the windows when I suddenly thought "enough's enough!" and informed Debbie that I would be going away walking for the day on either Saturday or Sunday. She looked a little skeptical but I stuck to my guns. Then I had a real stroke of luck! We were out for a few drinks and a pizza on Friday night, making the most of the au pair being in residence, when Debbie suggested I make my trip an overnighter. I was already packed for a day trip but wasn't going to look a gift horse in the mouth, even if I still felt strangely unexcited about the prospect ahead. :shock:

Back home I set about repacking but later awoke in bed with my phone telling me it was 5.50am. I went downstairs to find the lights blazing in the utility room and in the garage, my pack half-packed but with a load of gear still lying around on the ground beside it. Ooops! Come to think of it, I felt a bit iffy - the consequence of starting off on the Deuchars IPA in one pub before moving on to white wine in the restaurant and then on to Stella Artois in the second pub. Or maybe that second pub just needs to clean it's pipes a bit better! :lol: :lol:

Anyway, despite some protestations from me that I didn't need to go at all (Debbie was feeling a little under the weather this morning too!), I was away at around 7.30 heading up the quiet A9. All through my pizza last night in Pizza Express I had battled with the big question - Arrochar or Spean Bridge area? Now, as I was all set to head out the door, I had to decide. I wrote on a piece of paper "Today - Sron a' Choire Ghairbh and Meall na Teanga with Ben Tee, tomorrow Binnein Shuas and Binnein Shios". So that was it - decision made! :)

I decided I needed to stop off in Dalwhinnie for a bacon roll and coffee to settle my stomach, recalling when Robin and I had stopped at the van there last summer on our way up to The Fara. I remember the guy saying then that he was going to move out of the van and into the building, and that he also had plans to open up a bunkhouse in part of the complex. So I was not at all surprised when I turned up to find excellent indoor facilities where I sat and enjoyed my roll and coffee and chatted to the owner for a while. It really is a great set up - ideal for a future WH meet! - with an open plan seating/social area complete with wood burning stove. A Specials Board advertised gammon steak, chips and salad for £4 and discounted food and drink in the restaurant/bar for bunkhouse residents. Apparently there are 5 doubles and 5 singles in the bunkhouse priced at £10 per night per head. Definitely one for the future! - www.tollhousecateringofdalwhinnie.co.uk 8)

I bought some orange juice and rocky road and settled up before continuing on my way feeling much better. I briefly contemplated doing Creag Meagaidh instead of the Loch Lochy grouping but with the weather looking decidedly unsettled still I continued with Plan A, stopping again at the Spar in Spean Bridge for some more recovery juice!

And so it was 10.45 before I was off and walking on the signposted Right of Way to Tomdoun. It's a lung busting initial ascent on very rough terrain from Kilfinnan up onto the flatter ground beyond the stile and across to Lochan Diota, where I had once had vague plans for a wild camp on a past trip that never materialised. :(

The start - farm at Kilfinnan looking towards Laggan Locks at the north eastern end of Loch Lochy

Meall nan Dearcag and view down Loch Lochy

Looking back down to the start

Reaching the stile with (L-R ahead) Meall nan Dearcag, Sean Mheall, Sron a' Choire Ghairbh, Meall a' Choire Ghlais and Ben Tee in view

As I approached the lochan the sun came out and I had my first real sighting of Mojo in some time! :D I downed tools and sat for a good 15 minutes or so making the most of the moment until the massing flies chased both myself and Mojo away. :evil:

Ben Tee from Lochan Diota

From Lochan Diota to Ben Tee and up into Coire Glas

North from Lochan Diota

Onwards and upwards then towards Ben Tee and my first Corbett in 6 months since I fought a howler at the summit of Monamenach back in January. It had shown glimpses of its character on the ascent above the Kilfinnan Burn but now it looked like a bit of a featureless lump. However, the developing views north along the Great Glen and south west into Coire Glas were making up for it and pretty soon the views around the north side began to open up towards the wonderlands of Kintail and Affric. :D

Down the north eastern slopes of Ben Tee and along the Great Glen with Loch Lundie, the eastern end of Loch Garry and Lochan na Beinne Brice also visible

Lochan Diota and the Great Glen from just below the summit

The summit was then duly reached and photos were taken and lunch eaten before I turned my thoughts to the inevitable descent and reascent onto Meall a' Choire Ghlais. :shock:

West from Ben Tee summit cairn with Knoydart hills visible in the distance

North west across Loch Garry towards Kintail with Loch Loyne just visible

Meall Fuar-mhonaidh standing out next to Loch Ness

Corbett #43 and time for lunch

Across Coire Glas to the Ben

The descent was steep and pathless and made trickier still by an abundance of frogs, some of which were quite approachable and not at all camera shy! 8)

Towards Kintail and Affric on descent off Ben Tee

Close-up of Meall a' Choire Ghlais

Amicable amphibian

Is that you Mojo?

Then it was up the long sweeping shoulder onto Meall a' Choire Ghlais (from where Ben Tee really does show her classy side!) for the wonderful high level grassy promenade along the broad curving ridge to the first Munro of the day. 8)

Ben Tee (Coire Glas side)

Ben Tee (Loch Garry side)

Meall a' Choire Ghlas summit looking over Sron a' Choire Ghairbh to the just visible Meall na Teanga framed by Ben Nevis

Ben Tee from Meall a' Choire Ghlais

West along the grassy ridge

This part of the walk was only slightly marred by a series of pesky on-off showers, the kind that mess with your head and drive you to distraction wondering whether you should risk taking the waterproofs off now just to have to desperately try and get them back on in 5 minutes time or whether to continue steaming away under waterproofs while the sun comes out. :roll:

Back to Meall a' Choire Ghlais and Ben Tee

To Sron a' Choire Ghairbh and beyond

Close-up of the next target

A bit murky down Coire Glas

Arriving at the summit of Sron a' Choire Ghairbh coincided with another shower so I didn't hang about too long here before heading for another steep drop off (at least on a good path this time) towards Meall na Teanga.

Meall na Teanga with bunnet on from SaCG

North west towards Wonderland

Munro #131

Coire Glas clearing nicely

Whence I came!

At this point, the sun came out like it really meant business and I now got the best part of the day for Meall na Teanga and the descent back down to the track along Loch Lochy.

Meall na Teanga and Coire Odhar Beag with the Ben again dominating the skyline

Descending SaCG to the Cam Bealach path

Meall an Tagraidh with the Loch Arkaig Corbetts beyond

Meall Dubh and Loch Lochy

Sron a' Choire Ghairbh

Meall na Teanga summit in sight

Meall na Teanga summit cairn

Meall Dubh and Sean Mheall

Munro #132

Zig-zag path clearly visible descending the side of SaCG

Down the Cam Bealach path to Loch Lochy

Boats on the loch

The walk along the track back to the car from where the Cam Bealach path empties out onto it seemed longer than the OS map suggested but eventually I was there and after a quick change of footwear, I was back out onto the A82 and back to the Spar in Spean Bridge for more stuff.

And now for a spot of puritanism - shades of Alder!

Thought this was a scrap of boot lace at first - closer inspection revealed it was part of a dead snake which had clearly been run over by something

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I then headed back along the A86 towards Loch Laggan before parking up in the lay-by at Luiblea for the one hour walk along the track to the beach at the southern end of Lochan na h'Earba, a place I had always wanted to wild camp since the day almost exactly three years ago to the day when I did the Beinn a' Chlachair/Geal Charn/Creag Pitridh circuit.

Beinn a'Chlachair in late evening sunshine

There had been one other car parked up in the lay-by when I arrived and given that it was now after 9pm and I hadn't met anyone walking out, I started to wonder if I was going to find another tent pitched on the beach. As it was, my fears were groundless and I had the place to myself. I quickly pitched and organised the tent before cracking open a can and boiling up for dinner. Then there was just time for a few shots of the descending darkness before climbing into my bag for an early(ish) night. 8)

Beach at south western end of Lochan na h-Earba

Home for the night

A des-res with a view

Ambition realised

Lights about to go out

A fantastic day out. The weather more or less behaved itself and I got my first Corbett in since January. And other than a woman with a dog who passed me as I was getting ready beside the car at Kilfinnan, I didn't see another soul on the hills all day....... apart from a few glimpses of Mojo that is!
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Re: Mojo sightings - Loch Lochy 2 plus 1

Postby pigeon » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:24 pm

Great read Graeme,glad your enthusiasm has returned :lol: Seen a couple of tents up at that Lochan when i did Beinn a Chlachair and chums last year and also thought it looked like a braw spot for a camp,must have been great to get it to get it all to yourself :thumbup:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:128
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby Alan S » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:28 pm

Excellent stuff graeme :D 8)
I have looked at these 2 quite a few times now and I really see a trip coming there soon :D
Love your choice for a camping spot it looks cracking 8)
Well done.
Alan
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby malky_c » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:43 pm

Looks like a good day out, and certainly a top camping spot :)

I like your choice of route - I've been looking at a horseshoe of your first two summits for some time, even though I've done them before :thumbup:

Good luck in recovering your hill mojo - not lost mine for over 10 years now, but it can just go with seemingly no reason :?
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby PeteR » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:20 pm

Really enjoyed this one Graeme :D I think we've all lost our mojo at some point. I know I have. It's a good feeling though when the enthusiasm returns :D

Sron a' Choire Ghairbh has been the site of a couple of failures for me so far, for one reason or another and a route including Ben Tee appeals to me go get this one bagged. So your report is very timely for me. I've already bagged meall ne Teanga, so was thinking a descent down via Sean Mheall might be in order.

As for Lochan na h-earba. I'm not sure I would have pitched a tent on that beach :shock: Everytime I've been there, the tide has been in :lol: But seriously, it is an absolutely magical setting 8) The sort of place I can happily sit and refect a while :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby ChrisW » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:42 am

Great report Graeme, beautiful photos, weather not too bad (considering recent weather) and a spectacular camp site. All in all well worth forcing yourself out there and poking that mojo with a stick :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby MarilynMunro » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:46 am

Laid your soul bare there Graeme!, but so glad you found your mojo.
Like the phots as well, and the trip looks really interesting. Well done again :clap:
MarilynMunro
Mountaineer

Munros:43   Corbetts:3
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:4   

Postby Johnny Corbett » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:12 am

Good stuff and good on you getting that Corbett along with the Munros. It looked steep on the map and your photos confirm that so good effort. I didn't manage to see it when i did the Munros but hope to be up that way next week. As for the camping spot, you could not have chose better :thumbup:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby Bod » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:50 am

Hi Graeme, you sure still have your hill mojo! I see it there in your face.... :D :D :D
Very nice route taking in Ben Tee, I remember looking at that a few years back and have only recently been considering the two munros again. Now you have Ben Tee in my mind once again too :wink:
Looking forward to catching up soon over a beer or two :wink: :wink: :D

(Lovely campsite :thumbup: )
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:51   Islands:25

Postby rockhopper » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:12 pm

Interesting route Graeme - am hoping to get here at some point but was thinking about cycling in on the standard route - hadn't thought about a loop which looks more interesting - cheers :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby monty » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:47 pm

Nice report teacher. You get 3 gold stars or 2 gcse's. :lol: Okehampton brings back fond memories of my days on dartmoor. :D

Ah, so you are organising the next meet? :D

I am hoping to do these soon. Like you I was going to add the Corbett, but on the otherhand Nah :lol:

Superb camp site.
monty

Postby lochlaggan » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:24 pm

Really enjoyed your report and good to see this area as when I last did it i couldn't see much. Ah and the snake its a worm! A slow worm. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anguis_fragilis. We have a family cottage around Loch Laggan and there are lots of the slow worms there. They are lovely wee things.
lochlaggan
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:212
Fionas:4   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   
Islands:11

Postby pollyh33 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:43 pm

Superdoooooper stuff Mr D!!! :clap:

Enjoyed every bit of this report, especially the rollercoaster ride you had to find that pesky mojo :D :D

Oh and loving pic #131 :wink: (Don't know why the words 'catcher's mitt' sprung to mind??? :lol: )
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby gammy leg walker » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:55 pm

From the heart this one Graeme,sorry to hear about your loss,sounds like he was a special person.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby Scotjamie » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:15 pm

Nice one Graeme. A worthwhile route .........and from churches to mojo, your TRs are certainly entertaining.
This one rings a few bells about motivation and family duties, though I have to admit I would take some convincing about Dalwhinnie as a centre for very much! (sorry dalwhinnians)
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland