walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Morrone

Morrone

Postby morag1 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:59 am

Route description: Morrone ascent, Braemar

Corbetts included on this walk: Morrone

Date walked: 16/07/2012

Time taken: 5 hours

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Morrone is a lovely hill to climb, and if you get fine weather, as I did, it makes for a great day out

As the walk description says, there is parking (free) at Chapel Brae, near Morrone Nature Reserve However, if you are staying locally it is nice to walk through the village and up to what is a local landmark. Initially, the path follows a landrover track until you reach a T junction. There are two walks here, one takes you into the Birchwoods, but if you want to climb Morrone you need to keep going left.

Once you branch off and leave the track you enter the moorland and the views soon begin to open up.

The small hill on the left is Creag Choinnich, which I climbed last time I was in Braemar

There are superb views across the valley

The Dee flows all the way from Braemar to Aberdeen

The views of the Cairngorms were tremendous and I loved looking back

There is an excellent, well-made path all the way to the summit

Several burns cross the path all the way up the hill

You can see the village of Braemar just through the trees, and if you look closely there lies the ground for the Braemar Highland Games, held the first Saturday in September

Once you catch sight of the radio mast, the gradient becomes less steep and from here its a straight forward walk up to the summit

The trig point is dwarfed by the massive radio mast for Braemar Mountain Rescue
[/img]

We arrived on the top in bright sunshine. There were wonderful 360 degree views of the Cairngorms. I wasnt really sure what the Munros were but I looked them up on the map when I got home.

This mountain, with the granite tors along the summit, I think must be Ben Avon

To the North-west were some big monsters. I think this one must be Ben Macdui, Britain's second highest peak, with Cairn Toul somewhere in the foreground

That's Loch Callater just behind me, and beyond that is Lochnagar and Deeside, where my husband's family live and where I have spent many happy times.
[/img]

I've never seen the city of Aberdeen from a hillside and would like to do this one day. I'm not sure which hill gives the best views :?

To the southwest lie the Cairnwell Munros.
There is a landrover track, used by the mountain rescue people. You can follow this track all the way down.

Walking down this track gets you really close to the Cairngorms, you feel you can reach out and touch them

I was fascinated by the colour of these hillsides and the patterns made by the heather

Following our descent from Morrone, we walked along the old Military Road back to Braemar. This road follows the River Clunie and was a lovely walk in the sunshine. Unfotunately I was still wearing my hill boots and on the hard tarmac my feet became very sore. I was going to take my boots off and walk on the grass verge, but I was frightened of getting bitten by midges.
Anyone, doing this walk, i would recommend taking a pair of trainers in your back pack for this section.

It was a relief to finally reach the village and take my boots off - sheer bliss :D

And so back to Deeside in time for my mother-in-law's annual BBQ.
Those of us who didnt get a bed in the house camped out on the lawn

My tent was the blue one and we pitched it so as to get great views of the local hills

I know I'm never going to compleat the Munros but I have set my heart on walking all the local hills around Edinburgh and Deeside - Morven, Pressendye, Clochnaben, Lochnagar. You will need to keep a look out for my reports :wink:
Last edited by morag1 on Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
morag1

Re: Morrone

Postby morag1 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:48 pm

Morrone
morag1

Postby Johnny Corbett » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:14 pm

A wonderful report Morag and well done on your first Corbett, a good choice for your first one. Liking the campsite, any chance you can post up the barbecue details for next year because i want to camp there :lol:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby thand » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:43 pm

Great report - love how you can see all the hills from this one. Morven has some cracking views when you get chance to do it.
thand
Munro compleatist

Munros:192   Corbetts:12
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:8   

Postby mountain thyme » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:50 pm

Well done morag. This is a nice corbett with stunning views. When we done this one it took us a while to find that land mark at the bottom of the hill :D
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby SusieThePensioner » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:20 pm

Well done Morag :thumbup:
I'm so glad you had good weather for your stay in Braemar and some fantastic views on your walk :D

BTW, it rained hard about 6pm on Saturday so we didn't see the support act but, it had cleared by 8 and
TJ was brilliant!!! Julia and I had a great time :lol:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby gammy leg walker » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:30 pm

2 Munros........1 Corbett.....1 Graham.......when the bug hits,you will never look back,tick,tick,tick.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby rockhopper » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:04 pm

Congratulations on your first Corbett, Morag :clap: Never mind the midges, looks like you've got a bigger bug with which to contend now ! - cheers :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby basscadet » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:55 am

Looks like you got a fine day for it.. The views looked amazing. Well done on the baggage accumulation too :clap:
I've done morrone many times - it a convenient way to get from gen ey to the bus at Braemar. Further along the ridge there are some superb bivvy's I have always meant to go and stay in for a lark.. :D
There are some cracking walks up Deeside.. plenty of interesting wee lumps and lots of recumbrent stone circles to visit as well - some really good ones near Durris especially :wink:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby laconic surf » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:14 am

Lovely report and congrats on your first corbett :clap:
Like JC says, your M-I-L's back yard looks like a top camping spot :lol: :lol:
laconic surf
Munro compleatist

Munros:100   Corbetts:1
Fionas:6   Donalds:19
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:2

Postby morag1 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:52 pm

Johnny Corbett wrote:because i want to camp there

Hi Johnny, it was a great place to camp, will put in a good word for you for next year :wink:

thand wrote: love how you can see all the hills from this one

me too Thand, by the way hoping to go up Morven next time Im on Deeside :thumbup:

mountain thyme wrote:This is a nice corbett with stunning views

It is Mountain Thyme. i remember when you posted your report of Morrone, think you also did a Munro and another Corbett at the same time :clap:

SusieThePensioner wrote:glad you had good weather for your stay

Couldnt believe how sunny it was Susie 8) Glad you had a great time with TJ, hope you managed to behave when you saw him :wink:

gammy leg walker wrote:when the bug hits,you will never look back,tick,tick,tick

Cheers Gammy, slowly but surely :D

rockhopper wrote:looks like you've got a bigger bug with which to contend now

Hi Rockhopper, not too sure about those big monster hills though :lol:

basscadet wrote:There are some cracking walks up Deeside

Agree with you there BC, will be back in September, have been planning my next walks already :D

laconic surf wrote:congrats on your first corbett

Thanks laconic, hope to do some more soon :D
morag1

Postby RicKamila » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:14 pm

Congrats on the first Corbett. Was out first one too. Love that hill. Great photos.
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Munros:5   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:16   

Postby ChrisW » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:41 pm

Great report Morag, so good to see you out exploring the corbetts (congrats on the first of many :wink: ) nice camping spot ..is there any charge for a pitch there :lol: :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby morag1 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:25 pm

RicKamila wrote:Was out first one too. Love that hill. Great photos

Thanks Rick, I had a look at your report before I went :thumbup:

ChrisW wrote: nice camping spot ..is there any charge

Cheers Chris, going from all the nice comments she might start to charge but free to you :D
morag1

Postby Alan S » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:51 pm

Excellent report and pics morag 8)
Well done on your 1st corbett, Looks a good one to start with :D
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland