walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Loch a' Bhraoin Bothy and Groban.

Loch a' Bhraoin Bothy and Groban.

Postby gaffr » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:33 am

Fionas included on this walk: Groban

Date walked: 16/07/2012

Distance: 20 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We were in for Groban on Monday and popped in to see the new bothy at Lochabhraoin/Lochivraon.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

3 HPIM6073.JPG
The relationship between the old bothy....now a fine modernised wee house for holidays?...and the newly allocated old building...the new bothy.
The bothy has a stove, wooden platform beds, an upstairs mezzo thing for sleeping on, an inside flushing toilet and running cold water over a sink. First class job done by the estate folks and surrounded by a fence within which are the beginnings of a coppice. I hope that we can all take care of this facility. Some new path diversions at the east end of the loch for the tracks into the loch and to the old path leading out to the nest of fannich area. New stone built gate posts at the entrance to the ruined building beside the loch.....possible new building to be built at the site of the ruin? Very fine outlook from Groban to Slioch, Lochan Fhada, the Torridons and the easterly four of the Fisherfields. :D
Last edited by gaffr on Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Re: Loch a' Bhraoin Bothy and Groban.

Postby malky_c » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:09 am

Had a look in here on my way past last September, and was annoyed that I hadn't walked in and stayed the previous night! It looks like a great bothy and Groban is a brilliant viewpoint too :) . I'm planning a return, maybe to do a couple of the Fisherfield Munros from that side.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Re: Loch a' Bhraoin Bothy and Groban.

Postby gaffr » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:03 pm

Yes....first came this way with a school group in the early eighties after we had a few days taking in Teallach, the two Deargs and all of the Fisherfield tops. The weather altered and we were glad of the 'old bothy' for a night out of the deluge....after a days rest we were then ready for some of the Fannichs. I went in, later, to the bothy area for the Corbett above. I would rate loch a'Bhraoin as a base for the two westerly Fannichs and the four easterly Fisherfield tops as well as those already mentioned.
HPIM6088.JPG
Not the clearest, but all I have, on the day of Slioch from Groban
5 HPIM6089.JPG
must return here when the light is brighter.
8 HPIM6064.JPG
Approaching the top of the pleasant wee top above Ullapool.
Attachments
9 HPIM6060.JPG
The rewarding view from the top....a short evening walk from the camping in Ullapool.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland