walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Ill Bell ridge and neighbours

The Ill Bell ridge and neighbours

Postby nigheandonn » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:06 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Froswick, Gray Crag, Ill Bell, Sallows, Sour Howes, Yoke

Hewitts included on this walk: Froswick, Ill Bell, Yoke

Date walked: 25/05/2012

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was the best weather we've had this year - really too hot for comfortable walking, but it would seem rude to complain! And I got a decent tan out of it, in places at least...

I had an early start to get the train down from Edinburgh, with just enough time in Carlisle to buy breakfast, then more shopping in Windermere - food, sunscreen and water! I could quite happily just wander down lanes all day, and the Dubbs road was very nice - flowers, birds and shade. The Garburn road is a bit stony, but the views are good.

DSCF5712.JPG
Troutbeck and Wansfell

Then onto Sour Howes and Sallows, which apart from being a bit steep to start with were better than I expected. They're still hills, after all, and the views were still improving.

DSCF5716.JPG
Sour Howes summit

DSCF5720.JPG
Sallows summit

DSCF5724.JPG
Yoke and the Garburn Pass

DSCF5727.JPG
Serrated skylines

DSCF5729.JPG
Changing colours, Kentmere

I stopped at the foot of Yoke for lunch - by this point all I wanted was some shade, but there was none to be found.

DSCF5742.JPG
Yoke

DSCF5745.JPG
Yoke summit

DSCF5746.JPG
Rusted machinery

The view of Kentmere reservoir this time was not quite as exciting as the first time I saw it, climbing Thornthwaite Crag in February, but with no hailstorms there was more time for identifying the hills on the other side!

DSCF5748.JPG
Kentmere Reservoir, High Street and Nan Bield Pass

The wind was trying pretty hard to blow me off the ridge, but not quite hard enough - and that just about cooled it down enough for comfortable walking.

DSCF5754.JPG
Rainsborrow Cove

Ill Bell has a good collection of cairns, and an even better collection of rocks at improbable angles.

DSCF5755.JPG
Ill Bell summit

DSCF5760.JPG
The ridge

DSCF5763.JPG
Froswick summit

DSCF5769.JPG
Ill Bell and Froswick, one hill cut in two

Rather than veering off for the High Street, I kept going in a straight line over Thornthwaite Crag and onto Gray Crag.

DSCF5771.JPG
High Street

DSCF5772.JPG
Gray Crag

DSCF5777.JPG
Gray Crag summit

Easy walking as far as the summit, but the descent to Hartsop wasn't much fun - so steep that what I was about to walk over was always hidden behind the curve of the slope. I went down a lot of it on my bottom, sheep droppings not withstanding - and at one point found myself going down something a bit steeper than I intended.

DSCF5783.JPG
The crag I climbed down by mistake

Slow, slow going, but I made it to the bottom in the end, to walk on to Patterdale and the youth hostel and a 9pm-ish dinner!

DSCF5785.JPG
Old building
nigheandonn
Wanderer

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:26+10
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:214   Islands:34

Re: The Ill Bell ridge and neighbours

Postby old danensian » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:16 pm

Good to read a description of the "whole" ridge being done - having been on Sour Howes and Sallows myself recently I realised how much fuller such a day is rather than starting up Yoke et. al. from the Garburn Pass.

And you certainly got some belting weather.

OD
old danensian

Munros:282   Corbetts:101
Donalds:9
Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:151   

Re: The Ill Bell ridge and neighbours

Postby ChrisW » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:32 pm

Another beauty, two consecutive sunny days in the UK....that must be a record for this year. Great shots again and good to see you had the place to yourself...hiking is always better that way :wink:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland