walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Loadpot Hill to Arthur's Pike

Loadpot Hill to Arthur's Pike

Postby nigheandonn » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:11 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Arthur's Pike, Bonscale Pike, Loadpot Hill, Wether Hill

Hewitts included on this walk: Loadpot Hill

Date walked: 26/05/2012

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The day began with the walk round to Glenridding to get the steamer to Howtown, before heading up Fusedale - beautiful, but hard work after a while - first uphill of the day after a long walk the day before. Changing views of the surrounding hills were some compensation.

DSCF5790.JPG
Fusedale

DSCF5791.JPG
Very small bridge, Fusedale Beck

DSCF5794.JPG
The head of Fusedale

DSCF5795.JPG
Gowk Hill and Steel Knotts

DSCF5796.JPG
Swirral Edge and Striding Edge

I couldn't face heading straight up the side of Wether Hill and took the path that slants over towards High Kop. Once on the top it was flat and pretty easy walking, but very very windy. I ate my lunch lying in the grass on Loadpot Hill, in order not to blow away.

DSCF5797.JPG
Wether Hill summit

DSCF5802.JPG
Old floor, Loadpot Hill

DSCF5803.JPG
Loadpot hill summit

The views were to the North Pennines on one side, and the the point where the Northern Fells run out and the Cumbrian farmlands begin on the other.

DSCF5810.JPG
Cross Fell and Dun Fells

DSCF5813.JPG
Where the hills run out

Loadpot Hill is decorated with boundary stones.
DSCF5816.JPG
Lambert Lad

Bonscale Pike is decorated with towers - easy to find, but slightly nerve-racking to get to in the strong wind. The summit wasn't so easy to find, as there's no obvious highest point before the slope up to Loadpot Hill begins.

DSCF5826.JPG
Bonscale Pike towers

DSCF5829.JPG
Bonscale Pike summit - possibly

Arthur's Pike has a much more obvious top, but also provided me with a hole to stick my foot in and fall over - no real harm done, though.

DSCF5830.JPG
Arthur's Pike summit

From here it was all downhill towards Pooley Bridge, with a detour to the Cockpit stone circle, over a very small ford to match the very small bridge from the beginning of the day.

DSCF5835.JPG
Very small ford

DSCF5837.JPG
The Cockpit

DSCF5843.JPG
Approaching Pooley Bridge

DSCF5845.JPG
Ullswater hills

Pooley bridge provided me with juice, ice cream and a river to paddle in all, much needed, as well as the bus to Penrith, where I had time for a bit of prowling round before catching the train north again.

DSCF5850.JPG
Giant's grave, Penrith
nigheandonn
Wanderer

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:26+10
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:214   Islands:34

Re: Loadpot Hill to Arthur's Pike

Postby AJNicholls » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:14 pm

Nice pictures, thanks for sharing. :)

I was up on this route (plus Steel Knotts) last week. Loadpot Hill was covered in mist that day. Survived the excursion though.
AJNicholls
Mountain Walker

Munros:182   Corbetts:11
Donalds:1
Hewitts:231
Wainwrights:214   Islands:3

Postby ChrisW » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:29 pm

What a lovely hike, great photos of that beautiful countryside....it's enough to make a man homesick. Like you I have discovered the best way to find a hole is to walk around until you drop your foot in it :lol:

Enjoyed this, cheers :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby nigheandonn » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:52 pm

I managed a variation this time - no holes, just sliding downhill and sitting down in a boggy bit :)
nigheandonn
Wanderer

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:26+10
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:214   Islands:34

Postby garyhortop » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:55 pm

Great report and some really nice photo's as well!! :D
garyhortop
Mountaineer

Munros:3   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:34
Wainwrights:14   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland