walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The wee guy takes his big sister up her first munro!

The wee guy takes his big sister up her first munro!

Postby davedanson28 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:37 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Starav

Date walked: 10/07/2012

Time taken: 7.5 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 1001m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Well, where do we start! What an epic adventure this turned out to be. Not only did my wee guy do his usual and impress me on his sheer guts and determination but……his sister joined in on this one and I have to say she has also got some of the mountain goat in her…! She literal flew up the mountains. The plan was to climb Ben Starav and if we were all up for it continue onto Glas Bheinn Mhor. We managed the first but due to weather we decided against the second, it will always be there for another day after all. We left the car at around midday (me, Kyle 6, Megan 9 & of course the dug Marley), we quickly made good progress up the tracks, across rivers, over bogs before starting out onto the steep, no very steep mountain side. This being Megan’s maiden hill so I was excited for her. She seemed to love every aspect apart from the walk out in the pishing rain, but hey, who does enjoy that.lol. :lol:
DSC01113.JPG
"come on Megan, I will show you the way, just follow me up this track", how cute are they!
DSC01116.JPG
The weather was great to start with, just as the forecast had predicted (they got it right for once), we made the summit and had almost perfect vis which was fantastic. You can see so much from this hill, Ben Starav, some of the views are really great.
DSC01126.JPG
The kids way to avoid the bogs!
DSC01145.JPG
Looking back down Glen Etive.
DSC01149.JPG
Quick sugar session!
DSC01156.JPG
Ben Starav in the background
DSC01159.JPG
Girlie antics!
DSC01161.JPG
Strong man!
DSC01173.JPG
The final scramble to the summit!
DSC01175.JPG
Megans 1st Munro & Kyle's 9th, VERY PROUD DAD!
I really love this picture, my two kids "on top of the world", Loch Etive in the background. :D :D
DSC01188.JPG
In comes the weather!
Looking across to summit two, it will wait for another day!
DSC01195.JPG
Megan chuffed we are on our way down!
DSC01197.JPG
Kyle still in great spirits despite the soaking, hardy wee bugger!
To sum it up, this was an amazing adventure for the four of us, I will treasure this day for a long time and I look forward to looking back on it in the future with some great memories. Keep an eye out for these two wee uns on a hill near you soon! :D :D
davedanson28
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:5
Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:4   

Re: The wee guy takes his big sister up her first munro!

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:24 am

Thats a great effort by the kids and especially a first Munro, Ben Starav is quite a tough climb :thumbup: . I did the same as you at the start with the bog only to realise on our return the lower down path was a lot better. :(
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby Fudgie » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:32 am

Having sweated my way up Ben Starav last week I know how steep it is and thats some effort by all four of you to get up there. There's undoubtedly easier hills to start off with but it looks like the kids enjoyed every minute of it :D
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby rockhopper » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:47 pm

Well done all - it's certainly a steep ascent from sea level. Hope Kyle and Megan keep at it - speaking from experience, my two gave up a while back - something about "not being cool" for teenagers :roll: - cheers :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby pigeon » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:03 pm

Well done to the young yins :clap: A tough climb is Starav ,they'll be up for anything now.As rockhopper says ,hope they stick at it,wish i'd started at they're age :lol:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:130
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby morag1 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:34 pm

Lovely kids, well done both :clap:
morag1

Postby weescotsman » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:20 pm

The wee man does it again.... and shows his big sister what she's been missing so far :lol:

Well done again, Starav is indeed a brute of a climb, I did it on my 2nd outing and it fair scunnered me. Didn't know when that boulder field was going to end. And of course congrats to Marley as well......

Hoping for a dry day for the Buchaillie next Saturday for myself........
weescotsman
Munro compleatist

Munros:116   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:8   

Postby davedanson28 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:55 am

Johnny Corbett wrote:Thats a great effort by the kids and especially a first Munro, Ben Starav is quite a tough climb :thumbup: . I did the same as you at the start with the bog only to realise on our return the lower down path was a lot better. :(

I thought I saw a lower path on the way back......doh! Always next time. :D
davedanson28
Munro compleatist

Postby davedanson28 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:58 am

Fudgie wrote:Having sweated my way up Ben Starav last week I know how steep it is and thats some effort by all four of you to get up there. There's undoubtedly easier hills to start off with but it looks like the kids enjoyed every minute of it :D

They defo did and are ready for the next! :D
davedanson28
Munro compleatist

Postby davedanson28 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:01 pm

rockhopper wrote:Well done all - it's certainly a steep ascent from sea level. Hope Kyle and Megan keep at it - speaking from experience, my two gave up a while back - something about "not being cool" for teenagers :roll: - cheers :D

Ha,ha...I have already heard those very same words from Megan.....still fingers crossed she manages another few. Walking up from sea level always makes you feel like you have properly climbed a mountain! :crazy: :crazy:
davedanson28
Munro compleatist

Postby davedanson28 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:02 pm

pigeon wrote:Well done to the young yins :clap: A tough climb is Starav ,they'll be up for anything now.As rockhopper says ,hope they stick at it,wish i'd started at they're age :lol:

Thanks for the comments, hopefully they will and yes, I also wish I had started at their age! :D
davedanson28
Munro compleatist

Postby davedanson28 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:04 pm

morag1 wrote:Lovely kids, well done both :clap:

Thanks for the kind words, they certainly did well. :clap:
davedanson28
Munro compleatist

Postby davedanson28 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:07 pm

weescotsman wrote:The wee man does it again.... and shows his big sister what she's been missing so far :lol:

Well done again, Starav is indeed a brute of a climb, I did it on my 2nd outing and it fair scunnered me. Didn't know when that boulder field was going to end. And of course congrats to Marley as well......

Hoping for a dry day for the Buchaillie next Saturday for myself........

Cheers pal....Kyle has now decided him and Marley are going to climb all the Munros....! God help me! :crazy:
Good look with the Buchaillie next week, I hope you get a clear day as the views are amazing from up there! :D have a good one and hopefully we will see you on a hill again! :D
davedanson28
Munro compleatist

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland