walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Tom Buidhe & Tolmount from Glen Doll

Tom Buidhe & Tolmount from Glen Doll

Postby gacameron » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:04 pm

Munros included on this walk: Tolmount, Tom Buidhe

Date walked: 21/07/2012

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 20.2 km

Ascent: 840m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Finally, good weather! It was time to head back up the hills, and today I decided to finish off the South Eastern Highlands, doing Tom Buidhe and Tolmount.

The day started off with fantastic weather, and I reached Glen Doll and the edge of the forest after 45 minutes. The ascent up Jocks Road is easy going and not too strenuous. Once I had Cairn Lunkard on my side, I split from the path and headed directly for Tom Buidhe, crossing the river and negotiating the bogs. At this point, the heavens opened. The blazing sun and blue skies were all of a sudden replaced with black clouds, and silly me had neglected to pack any waterproofs. Never mind, all good fun I suppose! Once I reached the top of Tom Buidhe, I didn't stop to take in the view, instead deciding to run down the other side before steadily climbing Tolmount. Between the two peaks took me just 20 minutes.

From this point on, I had a choice. Go back the way I had come, or head round by Crow Craigies and eventually meet up with Jocks road that way. The latter was what I decided to do, however I then decided I was fed up with the uneven ground, thus headed straight down into the valley and dealt with the bogs instead. It was slower going but easier on my feet, which somehow had become waterlogger. Apparently my boots are on their last legs. In hindsight, it would be better to stay along the ridge leading back to Cairn Lunkard.

The rain thankfully stopped and the sun came out again for the rest of the journey back to the car. If I were to give any advice, it would be to incorporate these 2 munros into the Glas Maol round of 4 from Glen Shee. The proximity to Cairn of Claise is such that an extra hour would allow you to do the 6 munros rather than 4 from Glen Shee. Live and learn, I didn't realize these 2 were so close when I did the Glas Maol circuit.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

gacameron
Mountain Walker

Munros:57   
Sub 2000:7   

Re: Tom Buidhe & Tolmount from Glen Doll

Postby laconic surf » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:17 pm

:think: Interesting. Have been umming and ahhing how to do these two, but still not decided, hence i've still yet to do them :lol:
Most scenic route is from via Loch Callater but it seems a long trek for just these two. Thought about via Cairnwell pass too but no sure of bog status. Glen Doll route seems a nice short route when a quick trip is needed so may do it your way. Or I could add it in to Glas Maol round. Decisions, decisions :crazy: :lol:
laconic surf
Munro compleatist

Munros:100   Corbetts:1
Fionas:6   Donalds:19
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:2

Postby Graeme D » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:59 pm

Worth doing from Glen Callater with an overnighter in the Callater Stables bothy. That's what I did for Tolmount a few months back.
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby jupe1407 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:49 pm

I think i'll do these two from Glen Doll as well, probably Tolmount first.

Hopefully if the weather stayes respectable for the next few days i'll get them ticked off this week. Pretty big "if" though :lol:
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland