walkhighlands

Read other users walk reports for the long distance trails - and add your own.

NB. This board is for reports on multi-day long distance routes - reports on simply long walks should be added to the standard boards.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ardudwy Way, Llandecwyn to Barmouth.

Ardudwy Way, Llandecwyn to Barmouth.

Postby mountainstar » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:16 pm

Date walked: 21/07/2012

Time taken: 2 days

Distance: 33 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Sat/Sun 21st/22nd July 2012
We had planned to do this trail a few weeks ago and so had booked the campsite at the halfway point, so we were crossing our fingers that the weather would be good (for a change)….we were not to be disappointed :D .
There is a good website giving lots of info, so I won’t be going into detail on the route, will just comment on what I think is interesting and add my pictures.
As the website says:
The Taith Ardudwy Way is a well signposted upland pathway of 24 miles (If done as planned by website) from Barmouth in the south to Llandecwyn in the north. The Way traverses Ardudwy, an ancient commote, (an administrative area in the Middle Ages). It visits each of the parishes bordering Cardigan Bay and crosses the geological formation of Cambrian Rocks, amongst the oldest in Wales, known as the Harlech Dome. The Way is chosen to take in some of the best coastal and mountain views in Wales, visiting prehistoric sites and offers the chance to see varied vegetation and rare birds of the area. The Way is mostly on quiet lanes, tracks, and pathways all of which are waymarked with the Buzzard logo.
For a full detailed description of the route, have a look at the web-site:
http://www.taithardudwyway.com/index.html

Information board

Day one. Llandecwyn to Dinas Campsite near to Llanbedr.
Weather. Mainly sunny, calm.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Day 1 route

There is a certain amount of pre-planning needed to do this walk with a day-pack. Luckily there are trains and buses linking the sections which make it easy with the logistics needed. I drove to Llanbedr dropping off Ele to walk to the train station, then I drove up to Dinas campsite to leave the car, leaving it a little late to run the 3 miles back to the train station at Llanbedr, where the train would be leaving at 10.15am. Luckily the owner of the campsite let me borrow his bike to cycle down to the village where I left it in his mother’s house :D .
Once disembarked off the train (10.45am) we set off through the small village and soon was on a nice path which led to Llyn Tecwyn Uchaf, from there it dropped to a lovely situated chapel high up on the hillside. A second lake was passed then some steep roads led uphill before we reached paths again.

Second lake passed

Gaining height

Northern Snowdonia comes into view

Tremadog Bay

Nearing the high point

The Rhinog mountains

We climbed up to a high point of 386m. Just off track is a really interesting stone circle bronze age burial sight that is well worth going to have a look at.

Ancient Cairn

The path stays high for the next few miles, giving great views of mountain and coast.

Nice walking up high

Can't go wrong

Rhynogs

Looking back to Snowdon

High above the coast

Panorama north west

One of many ruins passed

Dropping down

It eventually drops to another minor road where a few houses are passed, then re-climbs again before the final drop to Dinas campsite. About 1k short of the campsite a very wet marsh has to be crossed, here I became a hero of sorts as I rescued a lamb water-logged up to his neck in the marsh unable to get out, and got a bit of a dousing myself in water up to my knees for my good deed :( .

The worst marsh section

Not far now

Our campsite to right of lake

We reached the campsite at 3.40pm. They supply log burning stands (and logs) so we had a cracking fire in the evening with a few bottles of ale to boot, and one of the best baked potatoes I’ve ever had :D .

Second Day. Sunday22nd.
Weather. Sunny, breezy.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Day 2 route (my actual route with deviations)
Again the logistics of transport were required. I left the campsite at 9am, leaving Ele to start the walk from there. I dove to Barmouth, left the car then caught the 9.40am bus back to Llanbedr, then walked from the village to meet Ele near the viewpoint by Gelli bant 40mins from the village.

Impressive stone walls

Climbing up

Aproaching Pont Scethin

A climb leads over the hillside and then drops to the magically situated Pont Scethin bridge, which used to be an important historic route. Incredibly stage coaches crossed the mountains here to Bontddu.

Pont Scethin

Pont Scethin

Pont Scethin

Here I left Ele who walked the usual lower route, as I deviated to climb over the 588m hill Llawlech.

North from Llawlech path

The Rhynogs from Llawlech

Llyn peninsular from Llawlech

From Llawlech I dropped to Bwlch y Rhiwgyr to wait (50mins!) for Ele to re-appear.

Cadair idris from Bwlch y Rhigwr

View north from Bwlch y Rhigwr

The walk from the Bwlch gave more amazing views across the Mawddach estuary to Cadair Idris and beyond.

Mawddach Estuary

Cadair idris range

Cadair idris

View east from trail

Panorana

Another Bwlch was soon passed (Bwlch y Llan) then lovely grassy lanes were followed over and then down the steep hillside above Barmouth, passing an interesting ruined hamlet on the way.

Barmouth bay

Grassy lane

Stone walls

Ruined Village above Barmouth

Barmouth

Panorama Cardigan bay

End of walk

We arrived in the busy holiday town of Barmouth at 3.45pm where we rewarded ourselves with a Magnum icecream :D .
This is a great walk which I would highly recommend, it’s easily done in 2 days and is well away from the tourist traps on the coast, it goes fairly high into the hills “to be away from it all” and the views of hills and coast are superb.
mountainstar
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:221
Fionas:24   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:217
Wainwrights:214   Islands:24

Re: Ardudwy Way, Llandecwyn to Barmouth.

Postby icemandan » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:28 pm

Never heard of that one - looks like a fantastic walk - the seclusion and tranquillity of the Rhinogs without the pain!
icemandan
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:26
Fionas:13   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:199
Wainwrights:214   Islands:33

Postby malky_c » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:47 pm

Aha! I was looking for this in the wrong forum :D

Looks like a great route. When I was on the high Rhinogs the previous week it occurred to me that I was missing some of the good lower scenery - I remember going up to Cwm Bychan and other spots along the western edge for picnics when I was a kid.

I had never heard of this route either until last week, when near the end of my route, a guy asked me if I'd just done the Ardudwy Way.

I was in North Wales for a wedding this weekend. No walking, but the weather was stunning 8)

Great report :thumbup:
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby mountainstar » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:26 pm

malky_c wrote:Aha! I was looking for this in the wrong forum :D

Yes, did not know if I should put it in LDR or reports out of Scotland :?
mountainstar
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:221
Fionas:24   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:217
Wainwrights:214   Islands:24

Postby Scotjamie » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:06 am

Very enjoyable TR Alan
Full of classy pics and consonants :)
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

Postby Klaasloopt » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:53 pm

Hi Alan,
Great read! I visited Cwm Bychan with my wife and children this august, on a day trip from Corndon Hill (near Welshpool) where we stayed. I showed them where I camped 19 years ago on my trip along the Cambrian Way across Wales. The Rhinogs are superb. The drystone walls up Diffwys I remember clearly, as two guys where camped at the wall, restoring it during three consecutive summers.
I didn't make long walks this holiday, since the children are aged 4, 5 and 8. We did climb Corndon Hill together (513m).

I sure longed for a summertime, grassy walk, with balmy evenings and nice camping spots...
Klaasloopt
Hill Bagger

Munros:168   Corbetts:71
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:49
Islands:11

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Long Distance routes