walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glorious Lochnagar

Glorious Lochnagar

Postby howzat » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:45 pm

Route description: Lochnagar circuit, Glen Muick

Munros included on this walk: Lochnagar

Date walked: 21/07/2012

Time taken: 5.45 hours

Distance: 19 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

With sore achillies and the weather combining to keep me off the hills since early April I decided with the weather set fair that Saturday 21st July would be the day to test those achillies. Setting off with the wife from Edinburgh at 6.00am we stopped to meet up with the sister-in-law and her hubby at Blairgowrie for a welcome bit of toast & cup of tea then made our way to the Spittal of Glenmuick car park which by the time we arrived at 10.20 was nearly full! Leaving the rest of the party to cycle round Loch Muick I set off following the clearly marked path to Lochnagar.
IMG_5325.JPG
Clearly marked path to Lochnagar
Ahead of me I could see a steady stream of walkers making their way across Glen Muick out the otherside of the pinewoods and up the path following Allt na Guibhsaich. I sure wasn't going to be alone on this walk! By the time I reached the cairn that marked the turn off the track onto the main path for Lochnagar the sun was out.
IMG_5330.JPG
Cairn marking branch off track towards Lochnagar
IMG_5332.JPG
Stream of walkers climbing upwards towards the bealach
After about 1hr 40 mins I reached the point where the slope relents and was presented with superb views of Lochnagar's famous northern corrie.
IMG_5335.JPG
View across Lochnagar's famous northern corrie
A slight detour off the main path afforded views of the lochan
IMG_5340.JPG
Lochnagars magnificent curve of buttresses cradling a lochan
After a brief stop to take in the views, take a few photos, it was time to move on and tackle the steep ascent known as the Ladder.
IMG_5344.JPG
Steep climb to the plateau
Once at the summit ridge the path followed the cliff edge until eventually the summit cone of Cac Carn Beag came into view.
IMG_5350.JPG
Following the cliff edges (not too closely!)
IMG_5354.JPG
The rocky outcrop at Cac Carn Beag comes into view
After 2hrs 45 mins I had reached the top, along with about 20 other people and at least six dogs.
IMG_5356.JPG
Made it
IMG_5359.JPG
Lochnagar's viewpoint indicator
After about a 20 minute break a few cheese & pickle rolls and a packet of roast chicken crisps it was time to head off back down via the Glas Allt, the path clearly visable for miles.
IMG_5361.JPG
The long path down Glas Allt glen
With the walking poles coming into their own on the descent I made very quick progress negotiating the steep descent past the Glas Alt waterfall to the path beside Loch Muick in about 1hr 30mins.
IMG_5363.JPG
The very steep slope to the Glas Allt falls
IMG_5369.JPG
Glas Allt falls
IMG_5370.JPG
Loch Muick
I can vouch for the posts that mention the never ending walk down the edge of Loch Muick, my legs ached the entire 1hr 10mins it took me to get back to the car park, the entire circuit taking 5hrs 45 mins. Oh well there was a hot soak, curry, and few bottles of cold beer to look forward to back in Blairgowrie. This was the most splendid Munro I've managed to date.
Last edited by howzat on Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
howzat

Munros:254   Corbetts:13
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Glorious Lochnagar

Postby mrssanta » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:58 pm

a lovely day you had for it too.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby KMHills » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:27 pm

Nice one Nick- looks a pretty route. keep the fitness up for Bridge of Orchy in September. 8)
KMHills
Munro compleatist

Munros:105   Corbetts:1

Postby ScottishLeaf » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:48 am

I'm sure I saw you going up!
I was the lone walker that had a black fleecy mid-layer on. I'm it was you who passed when I stopped to take it off and grab a photo, just before the cairn where the path splits. Think I said hello to you at the summit as well! Small world :lol: :D
ScottishLeaf
Hill Bagger

Munros:114   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:11

Postby howzat » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:13 pm

Hi ScottishLeaf, I do indeed remember seeing you on the way up to Lochnagar. Nice report. It was a busy old day up there. I had difficulty getting up to the trig point due to the number of dogs in the way! Looks like you've managed about the same number of Munros as me. Just a few to go! :lol:
howzat

Munros:254   Corbetts:13
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland