walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Double in Glencoe

Double in Glencoe

Postby nbrannigan » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:57 pm

Munros included on this walk: Stob Coire Raineach (Buachaille Etive Beag), Stob Dubh (Buachaille Etive Beag)

Date walked: 30/07/2011

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 10 km

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Me and my family were staying at glencoe camp site about 5 miles from the 2 munros. we were planning on climbing Stob Coire Raineach and Stob Dubh, more commonly known as Buachaille etive Beag. we started in a large capark at the side of the A82, then we followed the well marked path with the three sisters towering on our right and the start of the slopes of Buachaille etive Beag on our left. after about half a kilometer you'll come to a part where the path splits take the left path onto the slopes of Buachaille etive Beag.

A small river marks the start of the assent, there is a well marked stone path all the way to the bealach. once you reach the bealach you have sverel choices, you can do Stob Coire Raineach which is on your left if your on the bealach but it is a very steep and boldery hill, or do the slightil longer walk to Stob Dubh. To do Stob Dubh we headed towards the right and begin a steep climb, however the hill that we were on wasn't the summit, it was around 1 kilometer behinde this first top, thats typical :lol: once we reached the true summit we gained spectacular veiws over loch etive.

to do Stob Coire Raineach you turn left off the bealach and climb a very steep and rocky slope. from the summit we got great veiws of all of Glencoe

Neil Brannigan

50th munro :D

12 years old
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

081.JPG
Me and my older brother with glencoe in the backgroud
079.JPG
looking from summit of stob Dubh
077.JPG
looking over to Stob Dubh from a false top
nbrannigan
Stravaiging

Munros:265   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:5   

Re: Double in Glencoe

Postby mamoset » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:25 pm

Well done on getting to 50 at your age. You'll be finished them before you are old enough to have a celebratory drink :shock:

Chris.
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Munros:256   Corbetts:6
Donalds:1
Hewitts:115
Wainwrights:214   Islands:5

Postby Stuart Angus » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:35 pm

Nice one Neil, congratulations on your 50th :clap: , very cool 8)..................hopefully I'll catch up with you soon :lol:
Stuart Angus

Munros:81   Corbetts:6
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:4   

Postby gammy leg walker » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:23 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap: Well done Neil.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby mrssanta » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:39 pm

great report I havent done these yet but when I do it will be useful reading beforehand
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Fudgie » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:43 am

Thanks for showing me the views I missed on these two because of the clag :D

Well done :clap:
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby nbrannigan » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:04 am

The car park is easy to find and there is a well marked path all the way to the summits.
We did stob dubh first because it is an easier and nicer walk, also most go up the other one first so you avoid the crowds. You get great views from both hills if you get a nice day :lol: :lol:

Neil brannigan :)
nbrannigan
Stravaiging

Munros:265   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:5   

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland