walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Return To The Hills - Tryfan

A Return To The Hills - Tryfan

Postby Ibex » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:05 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Tryfan

Date walked: 21/07/2012

Time taken: 4

Ascent: 915m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This is my first walk report and my first time in the hills for approximately 2 years.

I left Oxfordshire at 4.30am to get to Snowdonia in the hope of climbing a number of hills and camping.
I found my campsite near Llanberis after searching for a while and pitched my tent. I then went to park in Pen-Y-Pass, so I could climb Crib Goch, Garnedd Ugain, Snowdon and then take the miners track back down.

So setting off a little late, I made my way towards the car park. Firstly I got stopped by several hundred sheep crossing the road. Then when I finally got to the car park it was totally full, as there was some sort of race going on.
So I had to turn around and change plans. In the end I went to do Tryfan instead.

By the time I got to Tryfan and parked the car it was 1pm. I then spent half an hour getting sorted out, as I lost my phone and a number of other things that I planned on taking up with me. In the end I set off at 1.30pm.

I walked from the car park to the the base of milestone buttress and picked up the path, to attempt to go straight over the top. I was already blowing pretty hard, as i've become a bit unfit lately. After a while it seemed to improve though.
Looking down back the way I came.

After half an hour of walking and scambling up I could not find the path, so just tried to go straight up. Every now and again I got sight of the path and tried to get back to it. On one occasion I had to clamber over a large rock and I hurt one of the tendons behind my left knee. After while I clambered up over some rocks and was greeted by this sight.

A very nice view and it helped inspire me on. I continued on slowly. It was a hard slog, but because height is gained so fast it was ok. There were a few little hairy moments, but I made it to the top after about an hour and a half.
I saw Adam and Eve up there and managed to 'gain the freedom of Tryfan' after a few seconds steadying myself on top.

I made my way down the far side of Tryfan and began to contemplate doing Glyder Fach and Glyder Fawr, even though it was getting late. On the way down I managed to slip and jar my knee though. I kept going and for some reason the downward parts were making my knees hurt much more than I remembered. I think I am at least 2 stone heavier than the last time I was in the hills, and I was carrying a hell of a lot of weight on my back. After a while it was really quite grating. Luckily I got a nice view of what I presume is Australia lake.

The slog back to the car over marshy bits, getting back to the path was way worse than going up. My knee's were absolutely killing me. I had decided against the Glyders, due to my knees.

I got back down happy that i'd done Tryfan, but quite dissheartened at the state of my knees.

Well I suppose i'm back to walking a bit. Might have to consider a walking pole for the way back down though....
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Ibex
Mountain Walker

Munros:16   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:130
Wainwrights:214   

Re: A Return To The Hills - Tryfan

Postby ChrisW » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:46 pm

Great effort Ibex, even though it was almost 'one of those days', having to change your intended target is always a bit of a pain, then being unable to find all your stuff when getting ready is damn frustrating but ultimately it sounds like it was worth the effort. (there are 2 photos not showing for me though)

I returned to the hills after a 4 year lay off following injury and found my additional weight and fitness were real issues (still are to some extent :oops: ) but the knees took a beating until I got walking poles, I now use two of them most of the time and the difference is amazing, absolutely no knee pain at all even on/following really steep descent. I would suggest giving them a go :wink:

So, welcome back to the hills, I look forward to seeing more reports in the near future :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Ibex » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:01 pm

Thanks Chris.
I'm not sure why the photo's wouldn't be working. They are all in the same area and uploaded to the same site. Bizarre!

I've always denied the use of walking poles. Not sure why, but it just seems wrong to me. I can't explain it!
I suppose we were supposed to be able to walk the hills easily. But a bloke of 5'8'' wasn't supposed to weight nearly 14 stone, with his rucksac. Even if he is a stocky little bugger!
I suppose I will either have to lose a lot of weight, or swallow my pride and get a walking pole. I supposed I could do more squats and take more fish oil as well.

My fitness was poor, but after an hour or so I started to find it easier. I really started to enjoy the climb up. I was almost dissapointed when I reached the top all of a sudden.
The journey down turned into a slow agony. In the morning my knees were a bit stiff but ok. Could have done another walk, but I needed to get home.
Ibex
Mountain Walker

Postby malky_c » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:07 pm

Nice one :thumbup:

Been up Tryfan over 20 times now by all sorts of routes, but the north ridge is still the best :D

If you managed to do the jump from Adam to Eve and get up there in 90 minutes, that's pretty good going I'd say :) . I move fairly fast on the hills and I'd struggle to manage much under 75 minutes for the ascent. Maybe the pain and memories of feeling fitter previously made it seem more difficult than it was :wink:
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Ibex » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:02 pm

Thanks malky. The first bit was very tough, but after a while I seemed to get back to some sort of fitness. I think mainly it was because I got the lungs opened up. I think I only ever stopped to take a few photo's as well. So the pace was slow and steady, but I didn't stop.

I tried to clamber up one of the stones at the top, but failed. I finaly got up there, took a while to settle myself, then jumped. The clamber down the other stone was 'ungainly' to say the least. The whole thing took about a minute and a half I suppose.
The next guy came up, was up and over Adam and Eve and down in about 8 seconds. He did tell me it was about the 15th time he'd done it though.

I hope you could see the photo's.

xjking's post looks like spam about jeans.
Ibex
Mountain Walker

Postby garyhortop » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:11 pm

Well done Ibex - Tryfan is my favourite hill - I love the combination of walking and scrambling that it offers and it is just a stunning place to be! You managed to get some really good photo's there as well.

I would recommend the walking poles - I got given a couple for christmas a couple of years back and initally scoffed the idea - but since using them I have never looked back - great piece of kit! :D
garyhortop
Mountaineer

Munros:3   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:34
Wainwrights:14   

Postby Ibex » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:15 pm

Thanks Gary.
I really enjoyed the walk. The way up was a slog but really rewarding and I had some great views whilst up there.

I'm currently in training for selection, as i'm going to join the TA. I've already lost a stone in fat and got a LOT fitter. So I am in a much better state than I was when I did Tryfan.
I will still look up getting a pole or two for walks though. Hope to do some big 'tabs' over mountains to improve my stamina and ultimately enjoy the scenery.
Ibex
Mountain Walker

Postby elainelong » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:20 am

Hello Ibex,

I would really love to do the north ridge of Tryfan sometime. Almost been to the top but from the Heather Terrace and South ridge, years ago. A real pea-souper stopped us, and we also had the kids with us so decided to call it a day.

I have problems with my knees too and sometimes wear a knee support which can be a great help. I carry it with me whenever I'm on the hills but I've also been looking at poles and I think I will have to get some. It's not so much for the climb up but the descents can be killers :(
elainelong
Munro compleatist

Munros:4   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:160
Wainwrights:198   

Postby Ibex » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:30 am

Hi Elaine. The North face of Tryfan was a great climb and a nice return to the hills for me.
I was lucky with the weather. I had a great day for it!

It was a good climb up, with one hairy moment, but I had great views and loved every minute of it.
Its well worth a go, if you ever up there in better weather. You can have a go at jumping from Adam to Eve on the top too.
I walked most of the way down with a couple from Yorkshire and their dog, that took a shine to me. Not sure i've ever seen anything funnier than the dog stepping off a rock and standing on his 'dad's' head.
I completely missed the route off, and ended up climbing down one side of it and slipped which is when I hurt my knee.

I think walking poles are very usefull and I will trying them out soon on a trip to the Lakes.
Ibex
Mountain Walker

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland