walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Scafell Pike +2 from Borrowdale

Scafell Pike +2 from Borrowdale

Postby andy63 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:42 am

Wainwrights included on this walk: Great End, Lingmell, Scafell Pike

Hewitts included on this walk: Great End, Lingmell, Scafell Pike

Date walked: 25/07/2012

Time taken: 7.5

Distance: 9.5 km

Ascent: 1040m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The weather was a bit cloudy- the top was covered in mist but there were good views on the way up and down.
I took the path from Seathwaite up Grains Gill to Esk Hause. This was a straightforward climb and the path was easy to follow.
There's a short detour up to the top of Great End.Allegedly there's some kind of view from here, but I was just stumbling around in the fog trying to figure out where the summit was.According to Wainright there's an 'insignificant cairn' on the summit. Hopefully one of the piles of stones I went to was the right one.
From Great End to Scafell Pike was hard work due to the stony ground. The last bit going up to the summit is very steep and a little bit exposed.
The highest point in England was very busy today - you had to queue to get on the summit cairn.However this made it easy to find the path going down to Lingmell Col by following the crowd.
It was a fairly short climb up Lingmell to bag a third summit, with good views of Wastwater, Sellafield and the Isle of Man.
I then followed the Corridor Route down to Styhead Tarn.There's a slightly scary bit of this section where you have to climb about 20 feet up the side of a cliff.Normally I'd avoid anything like that but there wasn't any other way down.Fortunately it's an 'easy' scramble with lots of foot and hand holds.
I've got a dodgy ankle so the last couple of miles down to the car park were a bit painful and stonier than I wanted them to be.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

andy63

Munros:114   Corbetts:8
Fionas:13   Donalds:27+12
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:316
Wainwrights:214   Islands:22

Re: Scafell Pike +2 from Borrowdale

Postby ChrisW » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:21 pm

Allegedly there's some kind of view from here, but I was just stumbling around in the fog trying to figure out where the summit was. :lol: :lol:

Can't beat that feeling Andy, still a great hike though :thumbup: Have you tried walking poles to help that ankle out :wink:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby L-Hiking » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:23 pm

Thats a great hike and pretty exhausting well done :clap:
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   

Postby andy63 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:05 pm

Can't beat that feeling Andy, still a great hike though :thumbup: Have you tried walking poles to help that ankle out :wink:[/quote]

I use a pole which helps a bit.I can usually do a good day's walking before it starts to hurt.
andy63

Munros:114   Corbetts:8
Fionas:13   Donalds:27+12
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:316
Wainwrights:214   Islands:22

Postby dogjake » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:21 pm

Well done Andy63 I'm heading that way in September and hope to do something similar.
I also have a problem with a dodgy knee and find that if I take a couple of Ibuprofen before walking
it helps enormously.
dogjake
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:4   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:11
Wainwrights:12   

Postby garyhortop » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:30 pm

Wandering around in the fog on Scafell in August!! Surely not! Sounds like my usual trip to the lakes!! :wink:
garyhortop
Mountaineer

Munros:3   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:34
Wainwrights:14   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland