walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

These gentle hills? Mullach Clach a'Bhlair and Sgor Gaoith

These gentle hills? Mullach Clach a'Bhlair and Sgor Gaoith

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:53 pm

Route description: Mullach Clach a' Bhlàir

Munros included on this walk: Mullach Clach a' Bhlàir

Date walked: 21/07/2012

Time taken: 8.5 hours

Distance: 25 km

Ascent: 950m

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I recently came across a lovely description of these two Glen Feshie Munros, “While Sgor Gaoith only pretends to be a nondescript lump, Mullach Clach a'Bhlair is the real thing...” (Dan Bailey, 'Great Mountain Days in Scotland'). True, but this doesn't stop a trip to visit both being a grand day out.

The day before we did this walk I told a friend where we were planning to go and he confessed that he'd nearly lost his life trying to get to the top of Sgor Gaoith in a whiteout many years ago – he was only saved when he noticed he was about to step off the cliff edge for a short cut to Loch Einich :( :( .
Our trip was on a clear, cool day when we could see for miles, it made a relaxing walk in what appeared to be benign territory – but walker beware and have respect for these nondescript lumps!!

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Our route started and finished at Auchlean – as we didn't follow the WH routes for either of these hills I've included our route map. Park in the car park before you get to Auchlean farm (its well signed), then follow the road towards the farm – just before the farm comes into view is a marker stone for the path up to Carn Ban Mor.
GFM 01 Starter Stone.jpg
Marker stone

Its a gradual but long pull up to the flank of Carn Ban Mor and onto the Moin Mhor , with stunning views over to the big Cairngorms and across to the west.
GFM 02 View north west from the path up to Carn Ban Mor.jpg
Morning ascent

GFM 04 Sgor Gaoith to Braeriach.jpg
Sgor Gaoith to Braeriach - gap for Loch Einich

GFM 03 Sculpted hills Sgor an Lcgain Uaine and Carn Toul from the west.jpg
Sculpted hills

Whatever you may think of the bulldozed paths on the Moin Mhor they make for easy walking round this vast bog.

We tackled Mullach Clach a'Bhlair first, enjoyed lunch and the views,
GFM 05 Mullach Clach a' Bhlair first hill of the day.jpg
Looking for the first hill of the day

GFM 08 These Sculpted hills again.jpg
Love these hill from the west

GFM 09 Ben Alder & Geal Charn ridge.jpg
Ben Alder and the Laggan Hills

GFM 10 Creag Meagaidh and the Monadh Laith.jpg
Craig Meagaidh and the Monadh Laith

then wandered back to Carn Ban Mor and on to Sgor Gaoith for afternoon tea and a hare chase (hare 1, dog 0).
GFM 06 Sgor Gaoith second hill of the day.jpg
Second hill of the day

GFM 12 Quick route to Loch Einich].jpg
Quick route to Loch Einich - not today thanks

GFM 13 Sgorr Gaoith cairn.jpg
Last cairn of the day

GFM 15 Braeriach and Loch Einich.jpg
Loch Einich and Braeriach

GFM 14 It cold up here.jpg
Its cold up here

Its easy to linger at the top of Sgor Gaoith to stimulate the adrenaline, enjoy the views – and the glider dispays, but the wind was distinctly chilly so we wandered off to join the path down and back to Auchlean.
GFM 16 Glider.jpg
Taking a leisurely look

Glad to have seen these peaks on a gentle day!
Last edited by Huff_n_Puff on Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Re: These gentle hills? Mullach Clach a'Bhlair and Sgor Gao

Postby ronofcam » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:17 pm

Hi Huff, strange question, but did you notice a patch of snow at the very top of the path up to Carn Ban Mor? It would have been on your right just as you came to the top of the path, as it flattens onto the Moine Mhor?
ronofcam
Mountain Walker

Munros:174   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby hills » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:19 pm

Ah that brought back good memories, I loved this walk, and especially the view from Sgor Gaoith, a classic, thanks for that. :D
hills
Hill Bagger

Munros:255   Corbetts:170
Fionas:172   Donalds:88
Sub 2000:191   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:32   Islands:34

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:37 pm

ronofcam wrote:Hi Huff, strange question, but did you notice a patch of snow at the very top of the path up to Carn Ban Mor? It would have been on your right just as you came to the top of the path, as it flattens onto the Moine Mhor?

Can't say that I did - I've checked all my photos and the only ones with snow are to the north and on the Laggan Hills - although I'm pretty certain there was some on the higher Cairngorms - but my photos don't support my memory :?

Just read your report - very interesting, who organizes the survey, how many years do you have data from and is any of it published?
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Postby LeithySuburbs » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:30 am

Been too long since I was up Glen Feshie and the Moine Mhor - thanks for bring back good memories :D .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby Bod » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:09 am

Great photos there. A return to Glenfeshie is due for me, got some unfinished business there :)
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:51   Islands:25

Postby ronofcam » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:20 pm

Huff_n_Puff wrote:Can't say that I did - I've checked all my photos and the only ones with snow are to the north and on the Laggan Hills - although I'm pretty certain there was some on the higher Cairngorms - but my photos don't support my memory :?

Ah well, fair enough. Thanks for the information. This location, shown here in Alan O'Dowd's picture (large snowpatch) is called Ciste Mhearad (Margaret's Coffin) and has been known to hold snow until well into July.

Huff_n_Puff wrote:Just read your report - very interesting, who organizes the survey, how many years do you have data from and is any of it published?

I'm not sure what report you read... Yes, I organise a survey each year in August which seeks to record every snow patch still extant in the Highlands. More generally, snow patches have been monitored by my colleague Adam Watson for around 70 years. We publish a paper every year, which appears in "Weather".
ronofcam
Mountain Walker

Munros:174   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby dogplodder » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:04 pm

We were up there on 21st - climbing Monadh Mor and Beinn Bhrotain - and we saw that glider too!

Met a few folk but think I'd have recognised the two spaniels! Love the pic of you at the cairn with them. Great looking dogs! :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:57 pm

dogplodder wrote:We were up there on 21st - climbing Monadh Mor and Beinn Bhrotain - and we saw that glider too!

Sorry we didn't see you - did have a photo of Beinn Bhrotain - but even magnified couldn't spot you :D :D

dogplodder wrote:Met a few folk but think I'd have recognised the two spaniels! Love the pic of you at the cairn with them. Great looking dogs! :D

Yeah - shame about the human :lol: :lol:
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Postby dogplodder » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:17 pm

dogplodder wrote:Met a few folk but think I'd have recognised the two spaniels! Love the pic of you at the cairn with them. Great looking dogs! :D

Yeah - shame about the human :lol: :lol:[/quote]

Woops I walked into that one. Great looking human too! :lol:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby David-Main » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:03 pm

Was up there a month ago sgor goiath great hill, ma cocker loved it as well but no hares. fantastic pics.
David-Main
Backpacker

Munros:280   Corbetts:47
Fionas:14   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:20   
Islands:21

Postby monty » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:34 am

Lovely photos Huff n puff. It a lovely walk and not too taxing. Huge open space for the dogs. superb :D
monty

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:38 pm

dogplodder wrote:Woops I walked into that one. Great looking human too! :lol:

Awww shucks.. :oops: :lol:
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland