walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Go on then, let’s do another 7 in Glen Shiel!

Go on then, let’s do another 7 in Glen Shiel!

Postby Lenore » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:51 pm

Route description: South Glen Shiel Ridge: 7 Munros

Munros included on this walk: Aonach Air Chrith, Creag a'Mhàim, Creag nan Dàmh, Druim Shionnach, Maol chinn-dearg, Sgùrr an Doire Leathain, Sgùrr an Lochain

Date walked: 26/07/2012

Time taken: 11 hours

Distance: 26 km

Ascent: 1800m

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I’m back in Kintail after a week in Rum, as there’s another mountain waiting for me. Or seven, actually: Creag a’Mhaim, Druim Shionnnach, Aonach air Crith, Maol Chinn-dearg, Sgurr an Doire Leathain, Sgurr an Lochain and Creag nan Damh: the South Shiel Ridge. Got up this morning at 6 due to a mix of nerves and snores of the 9 other ladies crammed into the dorm at Ratagan. We finally left at around 9, drove to the Cluanie Inn and were walking just before 9.30. We being Paul, a teacher from Liverpool, Rule, the intrepid ranger, and me. (for those of you who are starting to see a pattern here: I have actually done most of my walks this summer alone, but no woman in her right mind would pass up a chance to walk another 11 hours with ranger Rule :D :lol: ).

On one of the last nights of my first visit to Kintail earlier this month I’d met up with Bod and Valerie in the Kintail Lodge for a drink after they had just walked the ridge. I was absolutely shattered from all the walking I’d done earlier that week so hadn’t gone with them but did a lighter walk to the Falls of Glomach instead. Wise, yes, maybe. But over the next few days I couldn’t shake the feeling that I’d just missed out on something tremendously awesome. That this one could well be as good as the Sisters. That I’d certainly regret going home without giving it a try. So I made up my mind: if I still had time after Rum and before meeting my friend John in Lochcarron I’d come back. If it’s meant to be, it will happen. If not, I’ll have something to come back for next year.

As it so happened, I had a week of wonderful weather on Rum and ‘got through’ all of my walks there in record time, even with taking two days off drinking tea (and whisky) and eating cake. So two days ago I was on my way back to Kintail! Phoned the hostel and booked the very last bed; a good sign, surely?

Day of the walk: wait a minute, what’s going on here? Who ordered this pea soup? Certainly not me! This can’t be right. This is no “clearing to above 1000 by midday”! It seems like my beginners luck has finally run out; instead of the next epic ridge walk this might well become my first epic cloud walk: 7 munros and no views? I don’t mind a mixed bag of weather, and it doesn’t have to be perfect, but absolutely nothing? That’s a bit harsh :( I know I said last night “come rain or shine (or was it "come hell or high water"?) as long as it’s safe I’ll darn well bag those 7 peaks,” but that shouldn’t have been taken literally…

After the long walk in and ascent (2 hours 15 minutes) we found ourselves on the summit of Creag a’Dham just before noon, not a thing in sight:

DSC01143.JPG
Me on Craig a'Mhaim in clag

Just before ducking into the mist I mentioned that I’d seen a golden eagle up close, pretty much tripped over stags on Rum, and all I needed now was a ptarmigan. Can that be arranged? I guess someone / something must have been listening, because there it was:

DSC01136.JPG
Ptarmigan male in the wind

Optimistic that it would clear at some point, I didn’t mind the clag too much. It made for a very ‘atmospheric’ start of the day and it was pretty cool to see the others disappear into the mist and the clouds swirl about over the ridge. Made for some cool close-ups as well:

DSC01153 - Copy.JPG
Water pearls

On the ridge after Druim Shionnach, munro number 2, there was but the occasional glimpse of something deep and I couldn’t help thinking this probably would have been scary had we seen what was below. As it was, there was hardly anything to see so we made it over quite quickly and reached number three, Aonach air Chrith in record time!

And then, suddenly, a southerly wind picked up and revealed the glen below, a silvery ribbon flowing through it. The views were tentative at first, disappearing as quickly as they had come, but soon most cloud ahead and South washed away and what was left lifted to well above all peaks but Ben Nevis in the distance.

DSC01222.JPG
Clearing!

For what came next I barely have words. Every time I think I have seen the best of what Scotland has in store for me this summer something comes along that blows me away. As I have no words for it, I’ll just give you some pictures.

DSC01268.JPG
Looking towards Maol Chinn-dearg

DSC01280.JPG
Layer after layer

DSC01301.JPG
Little lochan and big summit

DSC01304.JPG
All the way to Eigg

Doing gymnastics on the summit of Sgurr an Diore Leathain?
DSC01332.JPG
There's a spot on my boot - balancing on the summit of Sgurr an Doire Leathain

With Rule:
DSC01337.JPG
Me and Rule

DSC01340.JPG
Looking back towards the fun rocky bit of ridge

Interestingly enough, though they are so close to the Sisters, the views are so different from this ridge. I did recognize some hills, but there was so much I hadn’t seen or hadn’t seen in these conditions before. The air was quite clear and as the sun made its progression down and we moved on further along the ridge, the light that swept over the hills took on a softer and eventually more golden quality.

DSC01342.JPG
Gorgeous Sgurr an Lochain and its lochan

DSC01352.JPG
Wester Glen Quoich Burn

DSC01378.JPG
Looking back East along the ridge

DSC01393.JPG
Gleouraich? That's surely next on my list!

DSC01395.JPG
Looking towards Loch Duich - Is that the Forcan ridge in the middle?

We slowed down considerably as I was taking a lot of pictures. The guys kept the pace up and occasionally looked at me in a ‘we’d-like-to-get-off-this-ridge-before-dark-and-that’s-the-umpteenth-lichen-you’re-photographing’-kinda way, while I just kept wishing this walk would never end. They should be thankful, actually, as due to my dallying we were still up in that gorgeous early evening light!

DSC01434.JPG
Eastern end of the ridge

DSC01458.JPG
Cool stripy bits

DSC01463.JPG
Creag nan Damh panorama Southwest

DSC01464.JPG
Creag nan Damh panorama Northwest

But eventually we reached the ascent of the last one, Creag nan Damh, Peak of the Stag. Supposedly this one’s a bit of a b****, but not for us. Just below the summit we were treated to this, an uncanny coincidence:

DSC01424.JPG
Stag on the peak of the stag!

The silly little poser, quite a young one still, wasn’t at all impressed by us coming up on the path right by him and just stuck around so we could get a good look. How is that for a magical finish?! As I said at the start: if it’s meant to be, it’ll happen. And meant to be it surely was today.

Paul checking the map to see if we've really done it:
DSC01467.JPG
Paul looking at the map on Creag nan Damh summit

Yes, we have! Number 7:
DSC01470.JPG
Me on number 7: Creag nan Damh

Time to go back down:
DSC01482.JPG
Sun going down, Loch Duich

We took a slightly different route on the descent than the WH description, one which Rule think is slightly more comfortable and safest (the route map below shows the descent). We skirted around the far side of the corrie via which you ascend Creag nan Damh, staying above the crags on the North side of that corrie, crossing the stream that runs from the corrie just above a waterfall. We went down a bit further alongside the stream and crossed it again once it levels out a bit at the bottom of the same waterfall. We soon hit a path that stays on that side of the stream all the way down to some woods. The part close to the road was quite boggy and I managed to slip about 50 meters from the road and make myself very muddy. Uhm, hadn’t we driven up in Rule’s own car instead of the dirty work van? Oops. Didn’t do it on purpose, I swear!

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Lenore
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Go on then, let’s do another 7 in Glen Shiel!

Postby iainwatson » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:29 pm

fantastic report! so glad it cleared and you got to see more of kintail in the sunshine,your enjoyment of the walk shines from your report,

love the stag pic :0)
iainwatson
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:20
Fionas:5   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:2   

Postby mrssanta » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:01 pm

Brilliant! it's always magical when it clears up. :clap:
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Stuart Angus » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:11 pm

You got pretty good weather for some excellent pics, very cool 8)
Stuart Angus

Munros:81   Corbetts:6
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:4   

Postby dogplodder » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:18 pm

It was worth starting in the clag to then experience the contrast of those views - and they are stunning!

Love the pic of the young stag too. :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby Lenore » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:17 pm

dogplodder wrote:It was worth starting in the clag to then experience the contrast of those views - and they are stunning!

Love the pic of the young stag too. :D

Lenore
Mountaineer

Postby David-Main » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:43 pm

Magic report Lenore, look forward to your reports and pics, i love wildlife and you always seem to incorparate pics of wildlife, love the stag well done.
David-Main
Backpacker

Munros:280   Corbetts:47
Fionas:14   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:20   
Islands:21

Postby Lenore » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:32 am

Thanks Iain, Mrssanta and David! That stag - sometimes you're just being offered something that can hardly go amiss :D He was a bit of a dummy, though; had we been stalkers he should have run off :(
Lenore
Mountaineer

Postby Lenore » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:33 am

Ooops forgot Stuart :o Thanks, man :D
Lenore
Mountaineer

Postby ceaser » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:35 am

great report and pics Lenore ,i,ve a feeling this wont be your last visit to scotland :D
ceaser
Walker

Munros:90   Corbetts:52
Fionas:6   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

Postby rocket-ron » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:07 pm

well done lenore looks like you had a fab day :clap:
rocket-ron
Mountaineer

Munros:222   Corbetts:99
Fionas:22   
Sub 2000:16   

Postby Bod » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:27 pm

Sgurr an Lochain is a lovely mountain isn't it? Possibly my favourite section of this wonderful long day out :wink: :D :D
Great report and well done! You are having some summer :clap:
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Postby bogtrotter » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:01 pm

Great report and nice to meet you at Ratagan YHA.
I've looked up my Munro diaries and found the 7 Munros took me 8hrs30mins but that was a long time ago and I was as tired at the end as you looked on Thursday evening.
Hope you manage to get back to the Highlands next year.
bogtrotter

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:4   Donalds:7

Postby Lenore » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:24 pm

bogtrotter wrote:Great report and nice to meet you at Ratagan YHA.
I've looked up my Munro diaries and found the 7 Munros took me 8hrs30mins but that was a long time ago and I was as tired at the end as you looked on Thursday evening.
Hope you manage to get back to the Highlands next year.

Same here :D Hahaha, yes I was completely dazed and confused by the time I made it back to Ratagan; even left the milk out on the counter all night :lol: :lol: Wow, that's some speed you managed out there then! And no worries, will find my way back here for sure.
Lenore
Mountaineer

Postby Lenore » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:26 pm

ceaser wrote:great report and pics Lenore ,i,ve a feeling this wont be your last visit to scotland :D

Thanks! And I think you're right :D I quite liked the look of that hill Gleouraich and it looks like a nice (shorter) ridge walk on the map. And very much fancy going back to Knoydart and walk over some hills this time instead of around. There's so much to choose! :lol:
Lenore
Mountaineer

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland