walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Low Fell & Fellbarrow

Low Fell & Fellbarrow

Postby Phooooey » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:58 am

Wainwrights included on this walk: Fellbarrow, Low Fell

Date walked: 28/07/2012

Time taken: 3

Distance: 9.2 km

Ascent: 543m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Loweswater - Mosser Road - Darling Fell - Low Fell - Fellbarrow - Lorton - Wheatsheaf Pub (Low Lorton)

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

What a horrible week ! The rest of the country in glorious sunshine and Lakeland not being able to break out from it's constant cloud cover. It didn't really matter as I'm locked in a windowless box all week anyway.
So prospects for the weekend weren't looking convincing either.

Ellie was venue dressing for a wedding at Winder Hall in Low Lorton over the weekend, setting up on Saturday and picking up on Sunday, so a half plan was devised to traverse High Stile ridge from Honister to Low Lorton.

Bag packed with tent and sleeping gear and a stash of goodies, we set off on Saturday morning to radio reports that the clouds were thickening and thunder storms were expected in the evening starting with rain after lunch.
So, after reaching Loweswater, I dumped most of the gear back in the car and changed my plan to cover the northern Loweswater fells ending up back at Winder Hall preferably before lunch and the rain.

From Loweswater, Damson and I took the old Mosser Road (no more than a single track road where the tarmac had been eroded by the constant water rolling off the hillsides) up to a hidden stile on our right. From here a steep ascent over grass and heather crosses to the first of many fences which guide you up and down over the areas fell tops.

Up to Darling Fell first where the first spots of rain started to fall turning the morning from sunnyish and warm to windy and chilly in less than 5 minutes. We dropped into the gully on the opposite side and straight up the fence to the southern summit of Low Fell. By now the cloud had really dropped and the wet weather gear was donned. Also the views, that half an hour ago had been pretty clear, were now starting to fade shortly to disappear altogether.
A quick dip down to the wall and hop up the grass bank on the other side took us to our first Wainwright summit of the day in Low Fell. The traverse across to Fellbarrow was only memorable due to the shear amount of rain that fell in that period. By now the rainproof cover for the sack had gone on (first time I've had to use this) and my boots were well and truly squelching by the time Fellbarrow was claimed. :(

Marching on, we dropped down to the next wall where the map claimed we followed the wall down to the beck and then on to Low Lorton. This was easier said than done as no clear path presented itself from this junction and we ended up breaking through bracken and crashing through swamped land heading down the gully and then through a series of sheep fields before reaching the road. A kilometre or two back down the road lead to Low Lorton and the Wheatsheaf where Ellie was waiting with a quick half of bitter. :)

Loweswater from Mosser Road
Loweswater from Mosser Road
Gavel Fell from Darling Fell ascent
Low Fell from Darling Fell (Whiteside, Grasmoor & Rannerdale Knotts in background)
Mellbreak, Hen Comb & Gavel Fell from Darling Fell
Blake Fell & Burnbank Fell from Darling Fell
Damson on Low Fell southern summit
ImageCrummock Water & Buttermere beginning to fade
Damson on Low Fell
A rather damp Damson on Fellbarrow
Even the rain cover went on the bag !
Fields of foxgloves on descent to Lorton Valley

It's a lovely area of the district which I don't get to visit very often! Incredibly picturesque and lush at this time of year. I'll be back when the weather improves 8) 8) 8) .
Phooooey

Hewitts:111
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Low Fell & Fellbarrow

Postby ChrisW » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:46 pm

What a beautiful hike that is at this time of year Phooooey, so much lush green it's unbelievable...though you have to have the rain to make it that way :( Damson did not look too impressed on Fellbarrow summit :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby SusieThePensioner » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:55 pm

A lovely walk, Craig, and some beautiful views :D I like the area around Loweswater.
Just back from a week in Wasdale and VERY lucky with the weather; got sunburnt :lol:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby Phooooey » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:24 pm

Although I agree with you Chris, I believe the rain should fall when I'm not on the tops and miles away from any shelter .. :lol:

And after yesterday's trek up Angletarn Pikes (blog available), I might match your suntan in one day Susie !
It was blisteringly hot in some sections of the walk ... what a contrast with Loweswater. Shows how different the weather can be up here. 8)
Phooooey

Hewitts:111
Wainwrights:214   

Postby garyhortop » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:06 pm

Great report again Phooey and a really nice route......have to say that Damson looked like she'd rather be at home though!! :lol:
garyhortop
Mountaineer

Munros:3   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:34
Wainwrights:14   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland