walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Merrick via Benyellary

The Merrick via Benyellary

Postby cheekykarma » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:27 pm

Route description: The Merrick, from Loch Trool

Corbetts included on this walk: Merrick

Donalds included on this walk: Merrick

Date walked: 29/07/2012

Ascent: 843m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Myself and three amigos made the journey down to Galloway Forest Park to journey to the Merrick.

The plan had been to go onto Benyellary, onto The Merrick, up to Mullwharchar, to Dungeon Hill, and then to Craignaw. The weather changed this to Benyellary and The Merrick, and my poor legs were glad of the change too. Unfortunately off the pace having not been out on the hills for far too long. Yet still a good day and a great walk.

The car park was fairly busy for such a rainy day. Showers were to be on and off all day. Making it awkward hot and sweaty in the muggy climate. Waterproofs on, too toasty, waterproofs off, too wet. No medium to be happy with.

Along with this mugginess was of course the midge. Who had a good chew on my face as we booted ourselves up. Cursing myself again for the thoughts at six in the morning of, nah no need for that skin so soft stuff today.....

To start with is a small monument on the path to The Merrick. Bruce's Stone. Marks the 1307 Battle of Glen Trool. Several hundred infantry belonging to Robert of Scotland saw off several hundred cavalry of Aymer de Valance of Pembroke.

I am not sure how many years of past history a fight of the few grows to the hundreds adding on lore and legend.

IMG_3020.JPG
Loch Trool

IMG_3021.JPG
Bruce's Stone

The path leading onward to The Merrick is straightforward through ferns and alongside the Buchan Burn to start. It is a path of constant ascent and while not steep really my legs did indeed feel having not been walking as much.

IMG_3058.JPG
The Buchan Burn

The first stretch leads up to Culsharg bothy. The light rains and rising and falling of the breeze was welcome in the midge was got rid of.

IMG_3026.JPG
looking back from Culsharg bothy

IMG_3055.JPG
Culsharg Bothy

Rising in height toward Benyellary gained some moments when the grey lifted and pockets of sunshine afforded some views.

IMG_3027.JPG
Looking back toward Buchan Hill

For me it was a huff and a puff on onto Benyellary.

IMG_3048.JPG
Benyellary Cairn

Another stretch and more huffing and puffing for me to The Merrick. The highest hill in the Southern Uplands at 843 metres. Part of the range of the awful hand making this trip a journey over the thumb and index.

IMG_3033.JPG
On route to The Merrick looking back to Benyellary

IMG_3037.JPG
The trig of The Merrick

The route back was the same way we had came and on the way back one of the best views of the day was Ailsa Craig peeking out.

IMG_3044.JPG
Ailsa Craig

IMG_3045.JPG
Looking down the valley from the Neive of the Spit

IMG_3052.JPG
another of Ailsa Craig beyond

A good day indeed. The weather forecast was foretelling doom. Yet the showers came and went and still offered some breaks and views, even actual proper sunshine.

Certainly an area to return to.
cheekykarma
Mountaineer

Munros:44   Corbetts:17
Fionas:6   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:9   

Re: The Merrick via Benyellary

Postby robertphillips » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:25 pm

Good report the merrick is a good walk. 8)
robertphillips
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:423   Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   Islands:39

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland