walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Better late for clag-free Fannaichs

Better late for clag-free Fannaichs

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:16 pm

Route description: Sgùrr nan Clach Geala, near Braemore

Munros included on this walk: Meall a' Chrasgaidh, Sgùrr nan Clach Geala, Sgùrr nan Each

Date walked: 26/07/2012

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 18 km

Ascent: 1103m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After my first taster in the Fannaichs a couple of weeks ago I was keen to go back, so with a forecast of 80% chance of cloud free munros we were off. But heading up the A835 all the big hills were topped by clag – so I drove slowly along the road in the (vain) hope the clag would have lifted by the time we got the car park. Well the clag hadn't gone but all the parking places had :roll: :roll: . (No problem there's another layby just a bit up the road.)

After some messing about we set off into the hills trying to work on the positive thinking and willing the cloud to lift – it didn't seem to be working and nearly caused us to bypass the first munro of the day.
MF 03 Sgurr nan Clach Geala from Meall a'Chrasgaigh.jpg
Sgurr nan Clach Geala hiding its charms

MF 02 Western Fannaichs from Meall a'Chrasgaidh.jpg
Western Fannaichs from Meall a'Chrasgaidh

MF 01 An Teallach from Meall a'Chrasgaidh.jpg
An Teallach - but is that clag lifting?

After a quick adjustment to the route we were soon at the cairn on Meall a'Chrasgaidh, where we were joined by the first of two walkers from Manchester.
MF 05 First peak of the day.jpg
First top of the day
But the weather gods had heard us and the clag was lifting. The photos are still a bit hazy though.

So doubts allayed we press on – no Biggles not that way :shock: :shock:
MF 04 Come on the roads home's this way.jpg
Come on I can see the road home from here ...

As we started on the Sgurr nan Cleach Geala ridge the last of the cloud lifted and we could see what a superb mountain it is and what a joy the ridge itself is.
MF 07 Clagg lifting Sgurr nan Clach Geala.jpg
First look at the ridge

MF 09 Ridge walk on Sgurr nan Clach Geala.jpg
Sgurr nan Clach Geala

MF 10 Sgurr Mhor from Sgurr nan Clach Geala.jpg
Sgurr Mor

MF 08 Western Fannaichs from Sgurr nan Clach Geala.jpg
Western Fannaichs again

MF 11 Where next.jpg
Where next

From here on the day was a delight.

As we came down Sgurr nan Cleach Geala we met Duncanandsooz and family heading the other way – on their very impressive route over 7 of the Fannaichs. Hummm not sure if we're serious here!!

Sgurr nan Each gave wonderful, if hazy views,
MF 12 Mountains to come.jpg
Views of mountains to come

MF 13 Slioch from the north.jpg
... and mountains walked

MF 14 An Teallach from Sgurr nan Each.jpg
... and not forgetting An Teallach

MF 15 Last cairn of the day.jpg
Last cairn of the day

and the route down a delightful walk along side the Allt Breabaig. (Once the boggy bits at the top of the descent had been passed that is.)
MF 16 The way down.jpg
The way down

MF 17 Alt Breabaig.jpg
Allt Breabaig

Ambling back to the car we heard someone shouting for us – Roger had dropped his fleece and the walker from Manchester we'd met several times during the day had found it, run down the track to hand it over and then run back to his partner. Not only was that amazingly kind – but at this time of day I wouldn't have been up for running anywhere. A big thank you.

I'm becoming a real Fannaichs fan – the mountains themselves give great walking and the views of the surrounding mountains are stunning. We'll be back soon.
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Re: Better late for clag-free Fannaichs

Postby dogplodder » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:26 pm

As ever, great photos! Twice we were defeated by weather on those three and ended up doing each on a separate day. Would love to back on a good day and do the three together.

Great you got your fleece back. :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby mrssanta » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:37 pm

lovely pictures, the second one is my favourite.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:41 pm

mrssanta wrote:lovely pictures, the second one is my favourite.

Thank you - at that point we were still wondering if MWIS would be right - and it was!
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby PeteR » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:24 pm

What a difference a few days make. I was on these three on Sunday, and was lucky to be able to see the end of my nose :lol: The Fannaichs are a superb set of hills though and I've enjoyed the view of this ridge from east and west, so I can't complain. Glad you got the good weather and the great views of the surrounding hills. Definitely a place to return too, that's for sure :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland