walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Inaccessible Pinnacle (Sgurr Dearg) & Sgurr na Banachdich

Inaccessible Pinnacle (Sgurr Dearg) & Sgurr na Banachdich

Postby Stuart Blakeley » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:40 pm

Munros included on this walk: Inaccessible Pinnacle, Sgùrr na Banachdich

Date walked: 17/07/2012

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 1500m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After staying in Portree for a hillwalk in June (for JC's final hill), I took the liberty of booking the accomodation for a weeks holiday for wife and 2 year old for non-hillwalking break.

Looking forward to spending some time on Skye to actually see Skye and not just turn up for hills (I've only been twice before). To my surpise, Mrs B suggested I take my gear up as I would be daft not to try and complete another hill (or two) as I was in the area.

Our friend Donnie, who stays on Skye, kindly agreed to accompany me out to a hill of my choosing. Mmmmmm which hill would I choose when I have a 'local' and ex mountain rescue member.......let me think......okay, let's go for the Inn-pin!

Donnie picked me up in Portree and we headed down to Glen Brittle (approx 40 min drive). The weather was warm enough but visability was not as good (maybe a good thing).

It was a pleasant enough walk in and after about 3 hours I saw the pinnacle through the mist. Butterflys were now starting to set in and after a pit stop at the top of Sgurr Dearg we made our way down to the foot of the pinnacle. You could hear a pin drop, it was so eerie with the silence and the mist and the fact that no-one else was there.

I've heard so many stories about climbers having to wait 3 or 4 hours for their turn to climb this final obstacle.

Donnie went first and I followed. I felt a lot safer knowing I was roped on every step of the way.

Once at the top, the abseil off was very nerve wrangling! I though this would be the easy bit. After a couple of minutes and after reassurance from Donnie I took the final step of the inn-pin for the 18m abseil back to solid ground.

The walk round to Sgurr na Banachdich was almost a blur after this but we dropped our bags off and headed round in poor visability.

Straightforward walk back out although care should be taken and look out for the ample marker cairns.

004.JPG
Great views heading up
007.JPG
The eerie sight that met us...
007.JPG
The Great Stone Shoot in Coire Lagan
008.JPG
009.JPG
Donnie getting the ropes ready
010.JPG
My view of what I was to climb....gulp!
011.JPG
Making headway
013 (2).JPG
Donnie's view of me!
015.JPG
Weather closing
016.JPG
Getting closer
018.JPG
019.JPG
Almost there...
020.JPG
022.JPG
Now to get off this thing!
023.JPG
026.JPG
Job done!
009.JPG
Donnie getting ready to abseil
011.JPG
Donnie abseiling
012.JPG
013.JPG
014.JPG
Well done Donnie!
Stuart Blakeley
Munro compleatist

Munros:271   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   

Re: Inaccessible Pinnacle (Sgurr Dearg) & Sgurr na Banachdic

Postby Bod » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:59 am

Well done Stuart, the In-Pinn is great fun! And doing it with a friend on a quite day makes it even better :) :) :)
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:51   Islands:25

Postby Stuart Blakeley » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:48 pm

Bod wrote:Well done Stuart, the In-Pinn is great fun! And doing it with a friend on a quite day makes it even better :) :) :)

Thanks Bod...I didn't think it would be that quiet up there, must have picked the day for it! Either way, I'm glad to have done this one now :D
Stuart Blakeley
Munro compleatist

Postby David-Main » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:21 pm

Hi Stuart, I was up on banachdich the same day as you, and like you say it was so eerie sitting at the summit on your own. I met 3 lads at the top and they were on there way too the pinnacle . Well done on your climb
David-Main
Backpacker

Munros:280   Corbetts:47
Fionas:14   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:20   
Islands:21

Postby Stuart Blakeley » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:31 pm

David-Main wrote:Hi Stuart, I was up on banachdich the same day as you, and like you say it was so eerie sitting at the summit on your own. I met 3 lads at the top and they were on there way too the pinnacle . Well done on your climb

Hi David, thanks for your comments. We saw the three lads headed to the inn-pin. We spoke to them at the bealach where we left our bags. They were all looking ready for the challenge ahead! We saw a family of four at the top of Banachdich (mum, dad, daughter and son). The daughter looked like she just wanted to be back at the car! :)
Stuart Blakeley
Munro compleatist

Postby old danensian » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:32 am

The "other half" was quite right - never go to Skye without taking some gear for getting up a hill - it's just too good an opportunity to miss. She obviously knows you well.

It's an eerie place in the mist - you've now got an excuse to have to go back and do it in good weather as well.

OD
old danensian

Munros:282   Corbetts:101
Donalds:9
Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:151   

Postby David-Main » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:22 pm

Stuart Blakeley wrote:
David-Main wrote:Hi Stuart, I was up on banachdich the same day as you, and like you say it was so eerie sitting at the summit on your own. I met 3 lads at the top and they were on there way too the pinnacle . Well done on your climb

Hi David, thanks for your comments. We saw the three lads headed to the inn-pin. We spoke to them at the bealach where we left our bags. They were all looking ready for the challenge ahead! We saw a family of four at the top of Banachdich (mum, dad, daughter and son). The daughter looked like she just wanted to be back at the car! :)

Yes Stuart , i climbed a bit with the family of four and met them on my decsent and also in the bar at the old inn at Carbost in the evening for a drink.
David-Main
Backpacker

Munros:280   Corbetts:47
Fionas:14   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:20   
Islands:21

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland