walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Challum Done

Ben Challum Done

Postby Ian Bayne » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:18 pm

Route description: Ben Challum, near Tyndrum

Munros included on this walk: Ben Challum

Date walked: 21/07/2012

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 910m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

011.JPG
group photo
Flying solo Pidgeon and Frigate watching the golf a nice bright day but the hill tops covered in low cloud but dry after the week weve just had so ready for the bog fest.
Up over the level crossing into the bogs was not that bad after all the rain followed the deer fence the first style was okay let the dog through the gate the second style was different ever tried to get a 3 stone dog over a six foot fence not a pretty sight . Followed the fence line and the faint path to the base of the hill Then up to the first cairn ( last time we were up here was feb 2011 when we turned back) . The top was clear could see the summit no probs got to the summit in 2hrs 20 min stayed for some gunfire no views then headed back.
Got back to the car in 5hrs a good straight forward walk. After the turn back in the snow last feb this hill was bugging me Im the last of the gang to lay this hill to rest DONE
If any one finds my GIT R DONE baseball cap on route I will be greatfull
Attachments
009.JPG
Jake at the top cairn
Ian Bayne
Mountain Walker

Munros:184   Corbetts:39
Fionas:13   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:12   

Re: Ben Challum Done

Postby pigeon » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:53 pm

Nemisis nailed :thumbup:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:130
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby Frigate » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:42 pm

I thought we were going to do all the Corbetts around and then run up from the back (Monty style).
Give my regards to Texas and to all the gun totting red necks.
Frigate
Munro compleatist

Munros:137   Corbetts:12
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:9
Islands:12

Postby PeteR » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:43 pm

Frigate wrote:I thought we were going to do all the Corbetts around and then run up from the back (Monty style).

A good option to to make a circuit of this hill :D You'll all have to go back and do it again someday :D

It's a good feeling isn't it, getting these hills bagged where you've had to turn back before :D There's a couple staring at me on my own map too which I need to go back and see to. You may have inspired me to get the job done :thumbup:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby mitchell1982 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:58 pm

This is the only Munro I've climbed... until tomorrow when I climb the Shiehallion in the rain :D
mitchell1982
Munro compleatist

Munros:4   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland