walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glas Maol Munros circuit...

Glas Maol Munros circuit...

Postby Saltire2011 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:20 pm

Route description: Glas Maol Munros circuit, Cairnwell Pass

Munros included on this walk: Cairn of Claise, Càrn an Tuirc, Creag Leacach, Glas Maol

Date walked: 31/07/2012

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 19.5 km

Ascent: 1033m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Had a great day on this walk, but glad I had a GPS with me, paths are very faint and non-existant in places..
IMG_0509.JPG
IMG_0510.JPG

I picked this circuit as we are doing Ben Nevis in 2 weeks, and it was a similar distance, as we have only done shorter walks in the past.

The climb to Carn an Tuirc was fairly easy, followed by a straight forward walk to Cairn of Claise.

IMG_0520.JPG
IMG_0533.JPG

The weather closed in on the walk over to Glas Maol, but was still fairly enjoyable..

IMG_0536.JPG
IMG_0539.JPG

The decent was probably the hardest part, very steep and no path to follow, some of our group did struggle..

IMG_0504.JPG

Probably due to the weather this year, there was a fair amount of boggy ground and a lot of the path along the Stream to the road has been washed away, a bit of care was needed to make it to the end.

Made the mistake of not taking some of our cars to the finish point, so had a fair hike back over Glenshee.. :(

All in all a good day out, and I think a good bit of practise for the Nevis climb in 2 weeks, but wouldn't do it again... :D

sorry, pics are a in a random order... ;-)
Saltire2011
Mountaineer

Munros:10   
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Glas Maol Munros circuit...

Postby dogplodder » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:30 am

Brought back happy memories as I did these hills with a bunch of friends from Dundee back in the 90s! :lol:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland