walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Wee Guy (6 yrs) completes his 10th Munro, Slioch

Wee Guy (6 yrs) completes his 10th Munro, Slioch

Postby davedanson28 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:53 pm

Route description: Slioch, near Kinlochewe

Munros included on this walk: Slioch

Date walked: 31/07/2012

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 15 km

Ascent: 1144m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Anyone who has seen my previous reports will appreciate that my wee guy, Kyle aka “the mountain goat” :lol: has taken a liking for the big hills or should I say Munros. He is now officially classed as a hill bagger and has just completed his 10th Munro, he did his first in mid April 2012, Ben Cruachan in the snow and from then….well, he just loves it!I have had to get him registered on here just so that he can have his own map and loves turning those pins from red to blue…….god help me! :crazy: Anyway this wee outing came about because I was heading for the north of Scotland with work and as the kids are holiday asked if he fancied and trip, Kyle quickly said yes followed by we could climb a couple of hills dad! So I had to oblige the wee guy and scoped out the weather forecast, looked good so got a couple of hills planned out, first option was Slioch and second option was Ben Wyvis. Basically a longish and shorter route depending on work etc. Leaving Inverness at 2pm on Tuesday, the forecast was great until early Wednesday morning. We had blue skies so I turned to Kyle and said long or short? Or should I say early bed or late? He replies “do the long one, it will be more fun”…..! Trying not to laugh too much I headed out of Inverness to Loch Maree for the start of the Slioch walk.
DSC01211.JPG
Lets rock dad!
We left the truck at 3.25pm (in 20 degree sunshine) and were back within 7 hours,before dark and before any rain!
DSC01212.JPG
Lost in the ferns!
DSC01216.JPG
The first proper glimpse!
This boy has got some legs,that’s 15Km and 1144m of ascent and he is only six! I was goosed! :shock:
DSC01219.JPG
Looking back to stunning loch Maree!
DSC01222.JPG
Wee guy chillaxing! Ben Eighe in the background!
DSC01223.JPG
Munro Marley with a thorn in the paw!
What a day though, Slioch is a strange hill,looks impenetrable from Loch Maree but once at the rear is quite flat / plateau like in places.
DSC01226.JPG
Heading for Slioch at full pace!
DSC01234.JPG
Kyle crashed out on the final push, I know how he felt!
WP_000930.jpg
Munro number 10 for Kyle! Slioch Summit!
WP_000929.jpg
Very very proud moment! He tells me Everest is on the cards.........!
The views are amazing and defo save this for a fine day to appreciate them to the full. Hope you enjoy the short report of our latest quest!
DSC01244.JPG
We had a wee celebration on the top for him, mars bars and power rade!
DSC01247.JPG
On the way down and still got his cheek!

Dave the very, very proud / amazed dad!!! :D :D
davedanson28
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:5
Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:4   

Re: Wee Guy (6 yrs) completes his 10th Munro, Slioch

Postby dogplodder » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:24 am

Brilliant report - and what a guy your son is! :clap:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby davedanson28 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:24 am

dogplodder wrote:Brilliant report - and what a guy your son is! :clap:

Many thanks dog plodder! He certainly appears to be a hardy wee bugger! :D
davedanson28
Munro compleatist

Postby weescotsman » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:37 am

Think he's gonna be overtaking me in the not too distant future I reckon :roll: only done 12 this year myself after the Buchaillie last weekend. Kudos for him indeed :clap: Not too many 6 year olds would be interested in mountain climbing at all............. :D

Brian
weescotsman
Munro compleatist

Munros:116   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:8   

Postby davedanson28 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:15 am

weescotsman wrote:Think he's gonna be overtaking me in the not too distant future I reckon :roll: only done 12 this year myself after the Buchaillie last weekend. Kudos for him indeed :clap: Not too many 6 year olds would be interested in mountain climbing at all............. :D

Brian

Hey Brian, well done on the Buchaillie, cracking set of hills them. :D Thanks for the comments........he wants to be an "adventurer".......! :shock: Any how, catch you soon. Cheers Dave.
davedanson28
Munro compleatist

Postby KeithS » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:24 am

Go Kyle go :clap: well done wee guy. I look forward to hearing of your future exploits.

Well done to dad as well. It's great to be able to walk with your kids. My boys were late starters, they were both seven before they did their first Munro, and are still going strong. To anyone who tries to tell you he is too young I say b******s. You can probably drag most kids up one Munro but you can't drag them up ten and you can see from your reports who the driving force is in your team.

Keep it up both of you. (I've even trained my youngest to carry my rucksack so that's something for you to look forwards to :D )
KeithS
Munro compleatist

Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:9   Islands:47

Postby davedanson28 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:32 pm

KeithS wrote:Go Kyle go :clap: well done wee guy. I look forward to hearing of your future exploits.

Well done to dad as well. It's great to be able to walk with your kids. My boys were late starters, they were both seven before they did their first Munro, and are still going strong. To anyone who tries to tell you he is too young I say b******s. You can probably drag most kids up one Munro but you can't drag them up ten and you can see from your reports who the driving force is in your team.

Keep it up both of you. (I've even trained my youngest to carry my rucksack so that's something for you to look forwards to :D )

Thanks Keith, I agree with the too young bit! If he did not enjoy it, he would not ask to do it! :lol:
I am looking forward to the day he carries the pack for us both. :wink:
We will for sure be posting more hill walking exploits in the near future, thanks again!
davedanson28
Munro compleatist

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland