walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A day out from Bridge of Orchy

A day out from Bridge of Orchy

Postby MarilynMunro » Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:03 pm

Route description: Beinn Dòrain & Beinn an Dòthaidh, Bridge of Orchy

Munros included on this walk: Beinn an Dòthaidh, Beinn Dòrain

Date walked: 31/07/2012

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 14.5 km

Ascent: 1076m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

One of my friends is heading off walking in the Dolomites soon and wanted to get a bit of "training" done. We made plans to do the above hills thinking we would be using the bus, but that changed at the last minute and I had the car, so all time restrictions were dismissed.
Picking John up from outside the Concert Hall Glasgow, we made good time up to BoO, stopping for the obilgatory bacon buttie at Tyndrum.
Parking up at the hotel in great sunshine, the day ahead looked like it would be a hot, tiring one. Passed the time of day with a fella heading of to AE, hope he had a great day. Not sure if I heard him right but I'm pretty sure he said that would be his second time out!!!
We got underway, me feeling the heat almost right away and John in his flambouyant shorts cool as a cucumber,mind you no chance of sighting any wildlife with those badboys on.
Up past the sleeper and on our way, boggy patches to avoid. A rock strewn path most of the way up the corrie and a slow steady ascent in the heat.
IMGP0090.JPG
The long and winding road, and a gawd awful pair of shorts, John

IMGP0096.JPG
Way too much energy !!

I had always wanted to do these two since walking past them on the WHW, but my selective memory had failed to note how high the saddle appeared to be.
There was an older couple behind with their dog, but no one in sight in front as we made our way to the saddle.
The views all around were spectacular, maybe one of the best I ve seen. With a short stop, we made our way up the initial clear path to Beinn an Dothaidh,
IMGP0099.JPG

although this soon peters out and your left with a trek across the grass to your target, there are three points ahead, the middle one being the true top, but in such a glorious day it didnt matter which one at this stage we headed for.
IMGP0100.JPG
praying or breathing!!!!

We got our selves to the minor top at 993m, and just soaked up the vista. A short traipse across the tops, and a very enjoyable wee chat with an old fella and his dog, kudos to the mutt,Munro No 71.
IMGP0113.JPG
Laurel and Hardy

At this point I maybe should say a few things about Johnny boy,he started off with his ridiculously loud shorts,and his hands in his pockets as if he was walking along the front in Torremolinos, and that continued all day(infuriating) and he is also your A to B, as the crow flies type of guy, everything was a straight line which was interesting.
I would say he has no worries about his fitness, it was a cake walk for him.
The descent back down to the midpoint was a bit squelchy, but we were on a mission,it was tea time !!
Found a nice big rock to sit on and sat in the sun with our sandwiches,opposite was our next path,which looked quite imposing.
Soon enough we headed off on our way,the path is fairly rocky and dry(thankfully),
IMGP0111.JPG
woohoo

IMGP0117.JPG
Looking back at Beinn an Dothaidh

soon we came to point were we should have paid more attention to the route description,there is a fork in the path,preferred route being to the left, but being adventurous ( ie stupid) we started following the path which goes around the west edge above Leacann Beinn Dorain, this path is a little (h)airy at times, so just below the Sassenachs Cairn we headed uphill to rejoin the better path. The path along to the top is really well defined and we soon reached the cairn,some more sightseeing and a short break and it was time to head down.
IMGP0135.JPG

IMGP0140.JPG
Last cairn for the day

The descent is straight forward and soon enough we were at the col again, John nearly getting caught "in flagrante" by two Dutch girls heading up late in the day. Now that would have been funny as we just finished saying that we didnt think we would see anyone else this late in the afternoon............and lo and behold ha ha ha.
The girls were actually doing the WHW, and whilst stopping at the Sleeper had decided to try one of the two tops, having just walked in from Tyndrum. They only felt like tackling one, we suggested Dorain as it was a lot drier and more straight forward approach, although longer. They were well aware of this fact, but we felt with the good paths all the way to the cairn this would be less trying than walking across the wet boggy approach to BaD. We left them to their decision and started our steep descent back to the car.
A couple of Ibrufen later(for the creaky knees) and were back at the car and making plans for dinner,a quick clean-up and it was into the hotel for one of their great burgers for me and a haggis steak concoction for John. A great way to end a great day out.
Whilst having our dinner I couldn't help earwigging the conversations from the many groups undertaking the WHW, and being most thankful that I had "ticked" that box, a great experience in itself but I'm not sure I want to do it again anytime soon.
It was then time to start off back to Glasgow to drop John off, and home for a well earned nip
Great day, better company.
MarilynMunro
Mountaineer

Munros:43   Corbetts:3
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:4   

Re: A day out from Bridge of Orchy

Postby PeteR » Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:43 pm

A couple of great hills MM :D Been a while since I was up them, but I didn't have quite the day you did. Superb looking weather on your trip there :D

Seem to recall it was quite a push up to the saddle between the two hills :shock: I also made the same mistake as you on the fork in Dorain path :lol:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby MarilynMunro » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:35 pm

Cheers Pete, I was once told at medical that I had "no depth perception" maybe thats why I keep getting into these hard pushes :lol: :lol:
Views were the icing on the cake :)
MarilynMunro
Mountaineer

Postby SusieThePensioner » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:19 pm

What fantastic weather you had Jim, surprised you didn't have an Hawaiian shirt on to match your friend John's shorts :lol:
We've stayed at BoO hotel many times and I've gazed up at these two but, of course, never walked them :D
I really enjoyed reading your report and some wonderful photos, great views, even those with
you in them :wink: :lol:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby Fudgie » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:34 pm

These two are up there as the hardest pair I've done as we did them in deep snow. I agree about the pull up to the saddle between the two hills, it feels like it's never ending.
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby basscadet » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:52 pm

What great photos you got - I enjoyed very much :thumbup:

I did one of these hills in deep snow, and the other from behind, so it was nice to read about this route :)
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby gammy leg walker » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:35 pm

Nice TR MM,2 crackin hills,& always good to get good grub at the end.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby MarilynMunro » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:35 pm

SusieThePensioner wrote:
I really enjoyed reading your report and some wonderful photos, great views, even those with
you in them :wink: :lol:

Cheeky

Fudgie wrote:These two are up there as the hardest pair I've done as we did them in deep snow. I agree about the pull up to the saddle between the two hills, it feels like it's never ending.

Thighs just calming down now, but worth every step

basscadet wrote:What great photos you got - I enjoyed very much :thumbup:

I did one of these hills in deep snow, and the other from behind, so it was nice to read about this route :)

Thanks, Basscadet,

gammy leg walker wrote:Nice TR MM,2 crackin hills,& always good to get good grub at the end.

Cheers Gammy, designated driver so the burger was paramount, had been looking forward to a pint if we had got the bus
MarilynMunro
Mountaineer

Postby ChrisW » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:34 am

Now that's a lovely pair MM...the hills not you two :lol: Great report with some cracking photos mate, hope the creaky knees are holding up :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby MarilynMunro » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:28 am

Cheers Chris, hows things over there, you still having to grin and "bear" it :lol:
Must admit to looking in on your adventures now and again, and sucking them up vicariously.
I 'm sure I'm running out of superlatives :D
MarilynMunro
Mountaineer

Postby ChrisW » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:48 am

MarilynMunro wrote:Cheers Chris, hows things over there, you still having to grin and "bear" it :lol:
Must admit to looking in on your adventures now and again, and sucking them up vicariously.
I 'm sure I'm running out of superlatives :D

oh it's tough out here MM but I'm struggling on...... :lol: :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Sabbathstevie » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:30 pm

Great report and some fantastic weather! Definately put these on my map for the near future... :clap:
Sabbathstevie
Hill Bagger

Munros:66   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:5   
Islands:10

Postby bobble_hat_kenny » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:53 pm

MarilynMunro wrote: I had always wanted to do these two since walking past them on the WHW, but my selective memory had failed to note how high the saddle appeared to be.

Aye, it's a steep and squelchy slog up to thon bealach, right enough :-| - all the same, they're a great pair of hills and very accessible from the south. Nice report :clap: - impressive bit of bouldering near the start!
bobble_hat_kenny
Mountaineer

Munros:238   Corbetts:43
Fionas:43   Donalds:19
Sub 2000:26   Hewitts:2

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland