walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Garbh Bheinn (Loch Leven)

Garbh Bheinn (Loch Leven)

Postby HillmanHunterz » Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:28 pm

Route description: Garbh Bheinn, Loch Leven

Corbetts included on this walk: Garbh Bheinn (Loch Leven)

Date walked: 28/07/2012

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 6 km

Ascent: 840m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Started the walk just over the bridge on the east side of the Caolasnacon campsite. There is a faint path which leads on to an ATV track. This I followed looking for a path that would take me to the top of Torran nan Crann but could not find one. Ploughed on regardless through ground that was quite wet and boggy :( but gained height quickly. Great views west down Loch Leven with the back of the Pap of Glencoe clearly seen as the weather improved and the sun decided to make an appearance. Continued south east to the foot of Garbh Bheinn's steep western slope. This would see the last of the wet ground as I zig zagged up the mighty ridge. The path was clearly marked but loose in some places with only minimal scrambling required on some rocky sections. After some relentless plodding finally reached the top of the ridge (Stob Coire Sgoilte). Took a break here to admire the views towards the Aonach Eagach ridge as well as the final 100m climb to Gharb Bheinn's summit. Crossed the col and followed a path to the right which did require some scrambling but no more than a few metres worth. Arrived at the flat summit 1hr 43min after leaving the bridge (I had estimated it would take 1hr 40mins so was quite chuffed with myself :clap: ). Stunning views all around but failed to see Schiehallion which I had climbed the previous weekend.

Descent was made using the same path to the foot of the western ridge (on the way down towards the col I took a right which allowed me to avoid any reverse scrambling!). From here I veered south in order to make the ATV track (the track does not appear on the OS Explorer map 384 but extends quite far into Gleann a Chaolais). The downside to this tactic was there to be no break in the descent! However, once the track was reached it was an easy walk back to the bridge (excluding the break at the summit the walk took almost exactly 3hrs).

Overall, a great hike on what appears to be a little visited Corbett.

IMAG0407.jpg
Looking west down Loch Leven

IMAG0410.jpg
The mighty western ridge!

IMAG0412.jpg
Looking north towards the Mamores

IMAG0416.jpg
Aonach Eagach ridge from the summit

IMAG0419.jpg
Stob Coire Sgoilte from the scree summit of Garbh Beinn

IMAG0420.jpg
The col looking towards the Aonach Eagach ridge

IMAG0421.jpg
The ATV track
HillmanHunterz
Mountain Walker

Munros:198   Corbetts:49
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:15
Wainwrights:26   

Re: Garbh Bheinn (Loch Leven)

Postby soulminer » Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:19 pm

This is a future walk for me and the dogs :)
HillmanHunterz wrote :
Took a break here to admire the views towards the Aonach Eagach ridge as well as the final 100m climb to Gharb Bheinn's summit.......

Here is the view to Garbh Bheinn from the Aonach Eagach, a splendid Ridge 8)

IMGP1161 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

Cheers.
soulminer

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland