walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ease her in gently - Cairnwell 3

Ease her in gently - Cairnwell 3

Postby StephenT » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:22 pm

Route description: The Cairnwell Munros

Munros included on this walk: Càrn a' Ghèoidh, Càrn Aosda, The Cairnwell

Date walked: 28/07/2012

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 11.4 km

Ascent: 620m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

My wife Vicky's attitude to the Munro's is "I've done Ben Nevis so why do I want to walk to the top of any of the smaller ones!" :roll: and since 2008 hasn't bothered with any more until today :D
This years holiday is our first visit to the Cairngorms and I wanted to bag Ben Macdui later in the week and Vicky to join me on the day out, so I suggested these 3 as a gentle warm up for the rest of the week.

We arrived at the ski centre car park around 1130 as we were a little late setting of from our overnight stay in Lanark due to the Olympic opening ceremony the night before, the weather was a mixed bag of cloud/rain/sun.
We were soon on our way following the walk highlands route.

Cairnwell3.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The walk up Carn Aosda is fairly straight forward and we were soon at the top
View from top with 2 others in view.jpg
Vicky and son Thomas
with views over to Carn a' Gheoidh and The Cairnwell
View from Carn Aosda.jpg
The Cairnwell (left) Carn a' Gheoidh (Right)
and north towards Braemar with rain clouds in the valley.
Carn Aosda North.jpg
North towards Braemar

After a sudden burst of heavy rain and everyone diving for the waterproofs we set of on route to Carn a' Gheoidh which is very easy to find on a clear day and once we were there clear views back to where we had come from and where we were heading
view form 2nd MUnro.jpg
view from Carn a' Gheoidh over to Carn Aosda and The Cairnwell

Again following the WH route we made our way over to The Cairnwell, Vicky was not too keen with the narrow path over the scree NO130779 but this held no problems and boosted her confidence. Soon passing the ski lift and the steep ascent to the summit.
Not the most inspiring summit but good view looking south at least
Cairnwell SOuth.jpg

For the descent we headed back past the ski lift and through the second gap in the fence on the right and followed the ski run back down to the bottom to meet the track back to the ski centre.
Overall an easy way to add 3 to the tally and a way to ease her in gently for what is to come in the week... :wink:
Last edited by StephenT on Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
StephenT
Mountaineer

Munros:70   Corbetts:8
Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:37   Islands:14

Re: Ease her in gently - Cairnwell 3

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:33 pm

Good luck with Ben Macdui :D :D

These hills used to be among my 'locals' - so fond memories here. Like you I used to use them to 'ease in' after a break from hillwalking - and they're fun in winter. :D
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland